It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US uses chemical torture at Gitmo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I just came across this article in the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) about David Hicks' time at Gitmo. The article talks about forced drugging of detainees.

One of the drugs they forced on the detainees, including David Hicks is called Mefloquine, an experimental anti-malarial drug. Below is an excerpt from the article, which funnily enough directly references MK-ULTRA.

Questions have been raised about the use of this anti-malarial drug for illegal and secret experiments. High dosages were given to all detainees, including David Hicks, to stop the spread of malaria. But it was not given to staff brought into the centre from malaria-endemic countries. Army doctor Remington Nevin said mass administration of the drug in such high doses to people who are asymptomatic or uninfected was akin to ''pharmacologic waterboarding''. Anti-malaria drugs were used for experimental research by the CIA in the 1950s under its MK-ULTRA mind control program, according to research by independent news outlet Truthout. The US Food and Drug Administration product guide says it can cause mental health problems, including anxiety, hallucinations, depression and unusual behaviour. It has been linked to brain injuries, suicidal and homicidal thoughts, depression and anxiety.

Source: SMH

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I have a mental dilemma against these types of accounts.
The real question is, does it provide accurate actionable results.

If we are doing it, then it must serve either one purpose
It should either provide as stated, accurate actionable intel that saves lives.
or
It must be made very public and common knowledge so that any enemy whom considers being captured would relate it to literally going to hell and fill them with such terror they don't even consider picking up arms.

Since it is secret, then it must then be the first option.

And from what murky understanding I have of torture in general, intel is rarely if ever accurate..

Which means its pointless..tearing wings off a bug sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

you have mental dilema?

trying to understand the motives of bizzarro-pyschopaths?

as i understand it, the whole point is to create intel.

by subtle and/or gross hints and clues the victim's imagination is harnessed and creates
the scenarios, facts and stories and justifications the inquisitors want to hear

here's where it gets crazy:

this intel, taken as truth, serves to reaffirm,comfort,
justify, and confirm the torturers and his superiors worldview and actions.

new topics

join