It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House details ‘destructive’ spending cuts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
"Tax cuts for the rich is spending we just can't afford"

Obama actually said this recently. Examine the definition of the word "spending". Spending means to be in full possession of funds and to procure products or services with it.

That comment means all the funds of a private citizen belong to the govt and the govt cannot afford to not spend it on what they want, not what you want. Is this good for you? Will you accept this for you and your family?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Please cut more to defense Obama!!

Oh if he wins you will get your wish - he intends to cripple us.

Please understand folks I speak with regard to the Army’s numbers as it is my area of experience if not expertise. However, that said I do know that the Navy is right now as I type this conducting board’s deciding which senior NCOS are going to be offered early retirement, which will get a severance in lieu of that retirement and those who will be told – thanks for coming see what’s being door number three – some half as job transition and an unemployment check. The Air Force is doing the same thing. We are mothballing ships and cannibalizing aircraft.

Being a fairly senior retired Army officer I have many friends with whom I still correspond. An organization the size of the US Military makes plans 3-4 years out just like any large organization.

They are preparing for a dramatic downsizing in personnel, budget, and equipment as soon as the plug is pulled on Afghanistan. It’s coming make no doubt about it. There is no ramp up for WWIII if anything they are making plans to decimate the force.

Wait and see what happens if Obama wins his second term. IMO he has plans to gut the military because they might fight his attempts to carry out his unconstitutional agenda in the States.

All these men and women who presumably having made it back in one piece had learned their craft. Will be dumped on the street – this combined with their newfound status as “potential domestic terrorist” fits nicely into his plan.

Don’t believe me just look at the change in Recruiting goals for the US Army and how they have drastically changed over the last 3-4 years. We are in the middle of a war and people are on their 4th and 5th tours and we are cutting force size? Make sense to anyone out there?

When Obama took office they recruiting goal was 106K Active and Reserve Army Component Combined. What is it for 2012 you ask…. 74K combined Active and Reserve. Now that’s a reduction of 32,000 Soldiers for that one year. www.usarec.army.mil...

33,000 Soldiers is more than an entire Division of combat power. How many active combat divisions do we have right now 8? 32K Soldiers is a lot of troops but cumulatively over the period of his reign is a reduction in recruiting over time of 88K Soldiers had the level remained constant with what it was when he took office.

The numbers I cited are only accounting for the drop in recruitment – attrition, retirement, and expiration of their terms of service will be even more of a drain. The Army has an up or out policy there are not enough positions for all these losses to be stemmed/fixed with retention and stop loss.

Many things factor into force management that the layperson may not understand like retirement, attrition, and a new one mission fatigue that should open up these positions for the future Army. To anyone who knows about force management - the plans are in place to gut the military after 2014 and if Barrack wins his second term that is exactly what he will do.

The party line will be that we keep the best and brightest; however, the best will jump ship like rats leaving the mediocre and in some cases the downright clueless. Once the military announces its drawdown; Officers and NCO’s will be first offered early out. You know who will take them?

Those who would be successful at whatever they do, they know the organization is going down-hill

Then the remainder will be boarded and those with the least potential will be involuntary separated. This will leave the middle range performers.

Some really good officers and NCO’s will stay of course out of duty – they will justifiably rise to the top of a mediocre force who felt they had no other options and some who probably never should have been there in the first place.

The Military is preparing for a drawdown just like the ones we have repeated in the past WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War one etc. The wheels are alreay spinning.

Couple the personnel downsizing with the loss of money and equipment and even the least military savvy can see our capabilities are going to be greatly impacted.

Dismisses my information if you so choose – but weakness invites threats. A weak gutted Army combined with an appeaser and apologist in charge is not a good combination IMO.

For those who think we are ramping up for WWIII if so he clearly intends to lose it. Maybe that is the message he wanted passed to Vladimir in the off mke incident. The Dreams of his Father realized a downsized and castrated America... Bravo Barry. His legacy - the POTUS who ended American Exceptionalism.
edit on 15/9/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Loans are a product of capitalism. Are you capitalist or not?

If someone is willing to give someone the money, at a promise that they will pay them back, who are you to tell them what or what not to do with their capital?
edit on 16-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Yeah I am am a capitalist I believe in making money off banks instead of them making money off me don't see what the hell that has to do with the topic.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I saw word of the proposed cuts to the US military budget on a Facbook posting of one of my brothers' American friends end of last week. It was quite funny really.
According to one comment in reply, it was going to leave the US with one of the smallest militaries in the world.
(apparently Fox News said so).

Another comment mentioned that this shouldn't be happening now as "America was being attacked in the Middle East". Seriously, America is being attacked in the Middle East - like they own it!

The sheer ignorance displayed by some people across the pond beggars belief sometimes.

Maybe Obama could start by closing some of the hundreds of Military bases around the world, or the $3Billion+ a year to Israel.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The topic? You brought it up, not me. And in capitalism anyone can make money off anyone. Guess you're not free market ;(

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
On taxes; the wealthiest Americans enjoy the lowest "actual" tax burden inmodern US history. A look at what these same people paid in the 1950s and 60s is an eye opener as is a look at the gap between the average and the rich then and now. Guess what......that income gap has grown exponentially while tax burdens have collapsed to less than 1/3 of what they were.

On education; most loans are paid back on time. The ones that aren't usually get paid back through confiscation of tax returns. That said, as someone involved in this realm I must say we can do a lot to cut student loans without hurting those students who are most likely to turn out to be a good investment for taxpayers. First, private for profit colleges produce students with loan defaults double what non-profit schools produce. Degrees from these schools are hardly worth the paper they are printed on, yet cost as much as public university degrees.

Also, the performance requirements for students to keep their aid is rather low. The government prefers to cut how much money students get instead of how many students get aid. Mediocre students are much more likely to default than good students. It's clear why. Good students have a clear understanding of where they want to go and they work hard to get there. Mediocre students are more interested in their social lives. The government should demand a 3.0 GPA for students to get loans. This should apply to incoming students as well. A large percentage (20-30% at many universities) of freshmen never make it to their sophomore year. Their debts to us, while smaller than a graduates', default pretty much every time. 3.0 GPA in high school or no loans in college until you have earned a 3.0 GPA in college. An educated populace is crucial for our long term prosperity.

On military spending. A quick look at military spending in 2000 and today shows that even after inflation is considered our defense spending has ballooned by near 200 billion a YEAR. Surely our military can handle some cuts without it impacting our ability to defend our nation. Are we 200 billion dollars more powerful today than 12 years ago? No we are not. That extra money has been buying things like fuel, MRAPS, uparmored HUMVs, transportation through Pakistan for supplies, and so on. No significant manpower increases or primary combat systems have been gained. There are not more tanks, or APCs, or artillery pieces, or helicopters. There is a bunch of new equipment built just for these wars that wouldn't be as effective in conventional war. MRAPS and bomb disposal robots wouldn't be too useful against China in the Pacific.

Our military is slightly larger than it was before 9/11, but not significantly. Recruitment goals have largely been set to maintain our force size. Recruitment has declined because soldiers are choosing to reenlist. A bad economy and pay raises for soldiers has caused this.

"Defense spending" really means "Offensive capability to control the geopolitics of the world". It's probably stupid for a declining superpower to maintain the ability to wage war a hundred miles of Chinas coast to defend a tiny island based on defending an ideology that even we do not abide today. It costs us too much to invade little countries on the other side of the world to maintain our sway and keep oil in our corporations hands.

In the end the question arises does it even matter anymore? We are 16 trillion in debt, the FED has loaned out another 16 trillion besides that. QE is debasing our currency and destroying the middle class. The economy is in shambles with no clear path to regaining its' strength. Where will we find millions of jobs? Not in manufacturing. Not in construction either because construction isn't a primary source of job creation, but is secondary. It piggybacks on prosperity. When prosperity rises so does construction. When prosperity falls so does construction. Our economy has been gutted by failed policies over the last two decades by both democrats and republicans.

It is telling how many of you (not all) can't get outside of your ideological boxes. You have bought your party platform hook line and sinker. You have drawn lines in the sand and made compromise and progress impossible.....just like your overlords wanted. Both parties have ruined this nation and neither is our salvation. So lose the false ideologies because they are both internally inconsistent and they both serve to put us into bondage, albeit of differing flavors. When you say " I stand for personal freedom.....except when it involves this", or "The government has no business sticking its' nose into this, but it must dictate that", you have already proven yourself to be ideologically inconsistent. Both parties are guilty as hell.
edit on 16-9-2012 by Erectus because: spelling correction

edit on 16-9-2012 by Erectus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Is not the "the military what is been under budget or cut, the military budget has increased and will keep increasing" within the "Defense budget" the military is just a small part of it.

Military will still get what it needs. The only change to it, was the proposed freeze to salaries and cost of living increases.

Oversea spending and foreign aid that is also part of the Defense is not been cut

Read the overall Defense budget cuts and you will learn the truth. I believe is a thread that was outlining the cuts here in ATS.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The tiny country of Palau went to the UN and worked out the process to be set free from the USA. America being a good baby sitter was giving them $20 million free every year until September 2009, when they were supposed to get their last free check from America and be set completely free.

Palau told Obama they want $250 MILLION or they were siding with China. Obama caved in and gave them $250 Million plus free money every year until 2043.

They aren't part of the automatic "sequestration" cuts going into effect. Palau will continue getting free money from America after deciding to be set free from us.

Tiny country of 12,000 people got Obama to give them MILLIONS. Why are you American's letting that happen?

The world thinks it's pretty damn funny! Those Palauan's don't like you...they justed wanted your money....on a condition they agree with you and Israel come UN vote time. American's may soon be suffering....the Palauan's will be laughing all the way to da BANK!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join