It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultimate 2001: A Space Odyssey thread

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
(feel free to add)

1. 1968 gadget predictions

Picture Phone: The first photo's taken from a phone and sent to others was in 1997.

Webcams were first developed in 1991.

The iPad was announced in 2010 by Steve Jobs

Hal 9000 looks like an ipod nano (1st released: 2005)

2. Monolith/World Trade Center connection

The Millenium Hilton Hotel

The hotel is adjacent to the World Trade Center site, where the new World Trade Center complex is being built.

Facing Ground Zero

On 9/11

One World Trade Center reflection

Background says Hilton in movie

The name of the hotel is spelled "Millenium" on the outdoor signage and official literature, even though the correct spelling of the English word is "millennium".

Monolith across the street from the World Trade Center? Hmm

edit on 15-9-2012 by waltdisney because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'm just going to leave this here.

for those of you who have never seen it before, don't worry. My mind was blown, too.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The Final Room

Throughout the movie there was tons of technology and gadgets. However, in this final room, i cant even find a light switch. A light bulb. Wall outlet. Computer. Phone. Nothing. The only source of power i see is coming from the floor. But even then, i see no wall switches. Even in the bathroom, there is nothing.

I have no idea what this means. Any ideas?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by waltdisney

Wow I like how you pieced that all together. That's very interesting. Incredible symbolism that they always seem to use. Like it's crazy. Koobrick also did Eyes Wide Shut, (not to mention the appolo moon landings) go figure. So obviously he had insider information from TPTB as to what was to come, or at least what symbolizm to use.

edit on 15-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The videophone is a staple of science fiction and has been in sci-fi movies for decades. A 1935 movie called The Tunnel featured it.

Plus, according to THIS wiki:

In early 1936 the world's first public video telephone service was developed by Dr. Georg Schubert and opened by the German Reichspost (Post Office) between Berlin and Leipzig, utilizing broadband coaxial cable to cover the distance of approximately 100 miles (160 km). The system employed mechanical television scanning and 8 inches (20 cm) square displays with a resolution of 180 lines operating at 25 frames per second.[35] Its opening was inaugurated by the Minister of Posts Paul von Eltz-Rübenach in Berlin on March 1, 1936, who viewed and spoke with Leipzig's chief burgomaster.[36][37] The same coaxial cables were also used to distribute television programming throughout Germany. In the initial service trial, broadband coaxial cable lines initially linked Berlin to Leipzig.

After a period of experimentation the system entered public use and was soon extended 100 miles (160 km) from Berlin to Hamburg, and in July 1938 from Leipzig to Nuremberg and Munich, eventually providing more than 620 miles (1,000 km) of transmission lines. The videophones were integrated within large public telephone booths, with two booths provided per city. Calls between Berlin and Leipzig cost RM3½, approximately one sixth of a British pound sterling, or about one-fifteenth of the average weekly wage.[35] The video telephone equipment in Berlin was designed and built by the German Post Office Laboratory. Devices used in other German cities were developed by Fernseh-Aktiengesellschaft, which was partly owned by the Baird Television Ltd of the U.K.,[35] inventors of the world's first working television. While the system's image quality was primitive by modern standards, it was deemed impressive in contemporary reports of the era, with users able to clearly discern the hands on wristwatches.[35]

en.wikipedia.org...

2001 was hardly the first to use the idea.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
The videophone is a staple of science fiction and has been in sci-fi movies for decades. A 1935 movie called The Tunnel featured it.

But 2001 was a great platform to get humans ready for the coming gadgets that now shape our whole society. Anyone who saw the movie was "conditioned" and now look. We have everything seen in that movie today.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The movie is about evolution. And how a secret group helped humans evolve from monkeys to man - via the monolith. From the wilderness to space stations.

Could the film itself be an evolutionary tool for humans? They predicted a lot of gadgets we have today, we went to the moon just like in the film, plus they built a life size monolith across the street from the World Trade Center, home to the greatest conspiracy theory of all time.

And lets not forget they chose "2001" as the title year. Nice prediction there as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
ok

so what is the starchild ?

I've read explanations, and I still don't get it.

can anyone xplain it in one sentence ?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
ok

so what is the starchild ?

I've read explanations, and I still don't get it.

can anyone xplain it in one sentence ?

The Starchild is the artificially transformed Dr David Bowman.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

the next stage of human beings after we over come technology

(based on the idea that Bowman's space ship is in the shape of a sperm, he kills Hal 9000(technology), then the light show represents sex or something of that nature )

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by waltdisney
We have everything seen in that movie today.

We still don't have a permanently manned moon base on the Moon, though. HAL 9000 is still leaps and bounds ahead of what we currently have in A.I.

A couple of things they got wrong though was Bell Telephone and Pan-Am were still around in that movie.

I thought the flat T.V.'s the astronauts were watching their BBC interview on were really cool.

Whenever you walk into a plane today, you see the T.V.'s on the back of the seats like they had in 2001.

2001 was also the inspiration for Kevin Flynn's living quarters on the grid in Tron: Legacy.

Sorry for rambling, but I never get tired of watching this movie.
edit on 15-9-2012 by Junkheap because: SCREAMING BLUE FUZZY THINGS... EVERYWHERE!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

But [...]

No buts. Didn't Star Trek also "come up" with a million different things?
It goes both ways, TV-series / Movies using things that we all are expecting, and product developers go "hey, did you see the 'x' that went the other night? We could definitely do it now with the help of 'y'".

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

(based on the idea that Bowman's space ship is in the shape of a sperm, he kills Hal 9000(technology), then the light show represents sex or something of that nature )

Originally posted by schuyler
The Starchild is the artificially transformed Dr David Bowman.

cool. thank you !!!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence

No buts. Didn't Star Trek also "come up" with a million different things?
It goes both ways, TV-series / Movies using things that we all are expecting, and product developers go "hey, did you see the 'x' that went the other night? We could definitely do it now with the help of 'y'".

Star Trek, 2001, Star Wars etc. all helped humans mold into the technology dependent society we are today.

Without movies and tv shows, would we be as accepting to this new way of life?

We were conditioned.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Without movies and tv shows, would we be as accepting to this new way of life?

Yes, because it's mostly geeks who watch the said shows. Yet everyone uses them.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I always thought the light show represents him going through some sort of worm hole,,, or hullcinatorily experiencing a slow lonely death,,, in vast space,, only in his little pod,,, I thought the final room represented limbo or a place of solitary reflection of the individual man who has gone through a human life,,, at the end of being in the room,,, he finally gets it when he points to the monolith while in bed,,, even though he was an old man,, and one of technological knowledge,, even though he lived a "long" life,,, he is but a baby in the mind and eyes of the universe,,, and so after this,,, he is shown as a baby again,,, my guess is waiting to be reborn,,, to experience another side or aspect of infinity...

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Sperm space ship.

Anyone notice the super long intro to the movie where Stanley just plays creepy music on a black screen?

He does it again after the intermission.

This represents the monolith. Our monolith. It wasnt a black screen. The movie literally served as our evolutionary tool.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

That's a good analysis. If you read the book itself, Starchild goes to Earth, first destroys all the orbiting nuclear weapons, and visits "his mother" dying in a nursing home, so it's definitely Bowman in a new and pwerful guise. He seem to wonder at all he sees, suggesting he has already been reborn.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
reply to post by ImaFungi

That's a good analysis. If you read the book itself, Starchild goes to Earth, first destroys all the orbiting nuclear weapons, and visits "his mother" dying in a nursing home, so it's definitely Bowman in a new and pwerful guise. He seem to wonder at all he sees, suggesting he has already been reborn.

true,,, ive seen some or all of 2010: .... but thought it was crap,,,,, and remember there is stuff with the guy coming back ghost like etc,,.,.,.

i think this represents he became universally enlightened,,, and once he saw the earth and human nature from a higher perspective,,, came back to try to right the wrongs of nuclear war etc.. .,.,,.
maybe the visiting mother is a homage to "ghost" or "spritual" things,, like how people claim their dead relatives comfort them, and they can sense them,.,.,. damn i wish I could talk with arthur c clarke and stanley kubrick about this
edit on 15-9-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
One of the best and most beautiful movies ever made!

I think the reason that we see tech today resembling tech in old movies is that most of the people designing tech today are proper sci-fi nerds

Incorporating what they have grown up with from movies and the things they think are generally cool, into their own designs. We all get inspiration from things around us.

edit on 15-9-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join