It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film protest: Egypt PM urges US to end 'insults'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Film protest: Egypt PM urges US to end 'insults'

www.bbc.co.uk

Mr Qandil said the film had been made by "wicked" amateurs, but that while it was "unacceptable to insult our Prophet" it was also "unjustifiable to have a peaceful demo turned violent".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
basically he goes on to say islam is a religion of peace, etc.

So yea, we must censor our own freedom of speech in order to not "upset" Muslims...

Where are the calls to not insult other religions, say like Christians or Jews?

All these protest sure are showing what he calls.

"Egyptians, Arabs, Muslims - we need to reflect the true identity of Muslims, how peaceful they are, and talk to the Western media about the true heart of the Muslims, that they condemn violence," said Mr Qandil.

www.bbc.co.uk

(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-9-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Bad habits are hard to get rid of...

Christianity was less successful in making us believe the crazy fairytales and how important it was to follow them blindly, so we are a few generations ahead on detaching religion from state.

As such we cannot entirely blame the muslims for being angry. There were some pretty messed up christians and catholic in old Europe.
In fact I think we can blame ourselves for not letting the muslim world evolve in the same pace as us. We were too busy acquiring wealth, just like today.

In short, while it's not very compatible with the western worlds belief system, we probably have to endure a generation or two before their religion has been watered out a bit and our own greedy needs have been diminished.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
No, this video is FREEDOM OF SPEECH. The US Government cannot override the Constitution and if they do, it will be passing unlawful legislation that will have to be Ignored by the People and toppled in courts of law.

Period.

And I for one am very pleased to see peaceful Islam errupt over a stupid movie. Rather revealing if you ask me.

The real solutions are to pass international laws that are like the the best constitutions and work at overturning all theocracies, all ownership of women and children, all abuse and inequality, arranged marriages, child marriages, honor killing, and all abuses.

Its not turning a blind eye to this. That is not the solution, and forcing us to shut our mouths. Because that aint going to happen Mr. PM!
edit on 15-9-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Sounds like he is trying to play both sides of the coin to me. Those attacks are bad, Islam is peaceful, don't you dare insult our profit! Political double speak. Typical.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
how childish and political to blame an entire nation for the actions of a few and for so many to be led like fools into playing their games.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I don't agree with purposefully insulting someone, but thats our right as Americans.

its constitutionally protected speech, even if its coming from an A-hole.

Egypt needs to get that through their head, most countries do, your people have a RIGHT to express themselves even if you don't agree with it.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
When is he going to protect foreign diplomatic faculties as required by international law?

Why should we change our laws, the highest law of the land the US Constitution, just to avoid upsetting a bunch of savages stuck in the Middle Ages?

Perhaps a few gunboats up the Nile will change his tune real quick.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is all getting rather ridiculous. Obama should call a conference of the heads of each nation and sit them down and tell them that, while he agrees, it's insensitive and cruel and in poor taste but it's a freedom we allow in the US. He should then tell them that he will pass into law a ban on all criticism of islam as soon as they all make it illegal to speak out against non-muslim faiths and the west.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ever heard the expression "they are a law unto themself".
Well in england you cannot wear the cross in school, but if you are a muslim
you can don whatever trinklets you like, including the veil.No st george flags
either as the muslims say its racist wtf.

one rule for one and one for another.
If i was to say no veils as its racist id be laughed at!.
Rant over no one will listen anyway.

P.s i am not trying to start anything here but being told you cannot fly
the flag of saint george is tyrany to the english people.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
This is all getting rather ridiculous. Obama should call a conference of the heads of each nation and sit them down and tell them that, while he agrees, it's insensitive and cruel and in poor taste but it's a freedom we allow in the US. He should then tell them that he will pass into law a ban on all criticism of islam as soon as they all make it illegal to speak out against non-muslim faiths and the west.

Sorry crakeur, i was kinda off - topic but i can say in england we have very little rights regarding
our own heritage of our national flag been displayed. Your right it's like a slow takeover of our
democracy and rules are being slowly enforced for the benifit of the muslims.

We all have the right to wear and display our cultural beliefs what's going on?.

link   

"Egyptians, Arabs, Muslims - we need to reflect the true identity of Muslims, how peaceful they are, and talk to the Western media about the true heart of the Muslims, that they condemn violence," said Mr Qandil.

"At the same time we need to reach a balance between freedom of expression and to maintain respect for other peoples' beliefs."

When asked whether he thought the US should change its laws governing freedom of speech laws, he replied: "I think we need to work out something around this because we cannot wait and see this happen again."

"This is a small number of people doing irresponsible work and everybody's paying the price."

The link between the US and Egypt was, he said, "a relationship that we need to make stronger based on mutual interests and respect for sovereignty".

I'm not sure if I'd jump the gun, in regards to the notion of him claiming the US government should take away our freedom of speech. But, I do see it as not objecting... Either way, such as 'respect for sovereignty'... well he showed it by not saying anything further. Look, "it's different over there" and even if it wasn't.... it doesn't matter.

He says one damn thing about, 'take away their freedom of speech' and I'll be the first to express all sorts of dissent. Till then...

The age ole' question comes into mind here... Where's the limit, the line in the sand... is there a balance between freedom of expression and maintain respect for other people's beliefs? Considering each side has convinced themselves the other as an opposition. Oh wait... they see EVERYBODY as opposition. Why are we still dealing with this? lol.

I'm almost never one to generalize, but I can say this...

Every person who subscribes to a religion preaches... well, what's behind the notion of preaching, and what does it lead to?

"Hey you, do it this way because of this"

~ "Umm... no?"

"What do you mean no? You're not doing it right... I'd suggest getting with it, before I can't tolerate it any more!"

~ "Umm... Do you know who started all of this and what it's became? I truly don't think you have the faintest clue"

link   
reply to post by benrl

Not all Muslims feel the way the protesters do.

Only the majority in the ME, Africa, Asia, Europe and a few other locations.

So I hear.....
edit on 15-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22
Ever heard the expression "they are a law unto themself".
Well in england you cannot wear the cross in school, but if you are a muslim
you can don whatever trinklets you like, including the veil.No st george flags
either as the muslims say its racist wtf.

one rule for one and one for another.
If i was to say no veils as its racist id be laughed at!.
Rant over no one will listen anyway.

P.s i am not trying to start anything here but being told you cannot fly
the flag of saint george is tyrany to the english people.

Your absolutely right about one thing. Burkas are NOT a racist issue, it's religious. I have seen white muslim women wear them. That's total crap about the cross and burka thing, they are the same thing basically.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Insults? What insults?

I see this cat trying to curtail free speech.

Screw him.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I was arrested one day for flying the flag of st george as alot of muslims complained it was
a racist salute to them when they walked past our building site workplace
i love my country and have never felt offended in all my life for
getting arrested for just displaying the national flag.If i was to ever display it again
i would be in serious trouble,now people you know i don't go for most conspiracies
but that was indeed a conspiracy to me personally.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by benrl

Not all Muslims feel the way the protesters do.

Only the majority in the ME, Africa, Asia, Europe and a few other locations.

So I hear.....

Ya forgot Detriot...specifaclly Dearborn

edit on 15-9-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I find myself not real clear with myself on my opinion here.

On one hand--
the american government, and americans as a whole, are not responsible for the actions of a few individuals.
(in our individualist philosophy).
We are able to live amongst each other, put up with all kinds of behavior and free speech, and it is okay with us.

But here is another thought-
If, for example, we look at a family. In the home, we give our children freedom to be as they wish, and express themselves however they want (recognize this X gens? It's being a kid in the 70's !
)

We don't care if they call us filthy swear words, or piss on the carpet, run around naked, swipe food out of each others hands, and spit on each other- they'll learn from their choices, through the natural system of consequence and reaction.

But when they go out in public, in the grocery store, for example, and do these things..... and people don't smile and accept it the way we do in the home..... they shall get some consequences out there.

AND- we shall be seen as partly (if not fully) responsible for their choices of act. They are, as members of our family, acting as representatives of what we feel is okay and acceptable and what isn't.
If we do not teach them that we are part of a larger whole, a larger community, in which certain limits of respect are necessary, then we TOO shall reap the consequences of their actions when they get out.

If we want to give our citizens total freedom, even outside our home, then we have to accept that we also shall reap the rewards and the consequences of what they do.

If we project the message that we are One and solid as a nation, in order to protect ourselves, then we are all going to have to accept that idea.

If we go with projecting to outsiders that we are not solid, we are disbursed and detached, each man for himself and alone; then we can avoid some of that interdependance and responsibility, but we shall suffer also great weakness and vulnerability.

I think the question is complex.
edit on 15-9-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

No no no no no, now this is getting ridiculous!

I wouldn't put it past them to actually consider such a thing and you just tossed in my freedom to be cruel, insensitive and in poor taste!!!!

Well, seeing as I do still have said freedom of ill mannered expressions, I will say to you this....

O wait, it's the same thing here to!!! I can't say anything about you, or it will get deleted, I may be banned... WHO KNOws.

So... no wonder why you would agree with this!

Anyways, IMO you are completely wrong... should we limit my freedom of speech to tell you why, as to what manner, or whatever playful antics I may interject?

this is getting ridiculous, you were right....

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The worlds going mad..News just in today read on girls/girls..

Let us contrast this attack on religious liberty for a moment with the backbreaking contortions that the public education system performs to explicitly allow Muslim students to wear whatever and pray whenever in school. In the Liverpool district where I live, there are a few Muslim families with children in the schools that are given time out of class to go to the main office and pray. They are allowed to skip a required class – music – because the music class is apparently not Muslim. This is happening in other parts of the country as well. In Tennessee, Christian parents are upset that their children were not allowed to pray – in the morning before school started – but Muslim children were allowed to pray on school grounds during school time: Right now, Christian supporters of school prayer are outraged over an ACLU lawsuit aimed at Wilson County schools. Part of the argument stems from a “See You at the Pole” prayer event — held around the school flag pole one morning just before school for any one who wanted to attend. Now, consider this: During the recent Muslim holy month of Ramadan, teachers in Metro Nashville schools were actually ordered to release Muslim students from class at certain times – to go to unused classrooms or offices — so that they could attend to their Muslim prayers. read more A news story in USA Today laid out a number of instances of this ridiculous double standard: Some public schools and universities are granting Muslim requests for prayer times, prayer rooms and ritual foot baths, prompting a debate on whether Islam is being given preferential treatment over other religions. The University of Michigan at Dearborn is planning to build foot baths for Muslim students who wash their feet before prayer. An elementary school in San Diego created an extra recess period for Muslim pupils to pray. At George Mason University in Fairfax, Va., Muslim students using a “meditation space” laid out Muslim prayer rugs and separated men and women in accordance with their Islamic beliefs. Critics see a double standard and an organized attempt to push public conformance with Islamic law. “What (school officials) are doing … is to give Muslim students religious benefits that they do not give any other religion right now,” says Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel at the Thomas More Law Center, an advocacy group for Christians.

What's going on with our governments now we are conspiracy talking im with you now on this one!.
links wont work! sorry mods people
edit on 15-9-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join