It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths Unsolved X-files (part 3 of 3)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+139 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Part 1
Part 2

11. The Voynich manuscript

The Voynich manuscript, described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript", is a work which dates to the early 15th century, possibly from northern Italy. It is named after the book dealer Wilfrid Voynich, who purchased it in 1912. Some pages are missing, but the current version comprises about 240 vellum pages, most with illustrations.
Much of the manuscript resembles herbal manuscripts of the time period, seeming to present illustrations and information about plants and their possible uses for medical purposes. However, most of the plants do not match known species, and the manuscript's script and language remain unknown and unreadable. Possibly some form of encrypted ciphertext, the Voynich manuscript has been studied by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including American and British codebreakers from both World War I and World War II.

As yet, it has defied all decipherment attempts, becoming a cause célèbre of historical cryptology. The mystery surrounding it has excited the popular imagination, making the manuscript a subject of both fanciful theories and novels. None of the many speculative solutions proposed over the last hundred years has yet been independently verified.
The Voynich manuscript was donated to Yale University's Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library in 1969, where it is catalogued under call number MS 408 and called a "Cipher Manuscript"

voynich.nu

12. Rock Frogs

This mummified corpse of a frog was found in a hollow flint 'geode' which was cracked open in 1899 by workmen in a quarry in England. There have been many reports of frogs found inside rocks; some still living in a kind of stupor but which revived once exposed to the air. In 1910 a living toad was found when a piece of coal was broken open; another was found in 1906 six feet (2 m) underground in a solid layer of clay. The most commonly found seem to be stuck in limestone. Some frogs have been found with the impression of their bodies so tightly jammed against the rock 'pocket' that even the skin's crackles can be seen imprinted on the sides of their frog-shaped hole --meaning the rock formed around them somehow.

paranormal.about

13. Strange rain.

Weird rain is one of the more bizarre - and still largely unexplained - phenomena that is periodically (yet continually) reported from all corners of the globe. There have been accounts of frog rain, fish rain, squid rain, worm rain, even alligator rain. The logical explanation for the odd occurrences is that a tornado or strong whirlwind picked up the animals from a shallow body of water and carried them - sometimes for hundreds of miles - before dropping them on a bewildered populace. This explanation has yet to be proved, and it can't quite account for all of the documented incidents

paranormal.about

14. The Hessdalen lights

The Hessdalen lights. The eerie display of brilliant bursts of lights in the sky that has plagued Norway since the 19th century has the scientific world scratching their heads. For centuries, people around the world have witnessed a strange phenomenon - orbs of light hovering in the night sky. Some say the lights chased after them as they drove away in their cars, and military pilots have reported spotting the lights on secret missions. Many wonder if the lights could be ghosts, or visitors from outer space.

These strange lights have always intrigued me - they display properties that one would attribute to the basic premise of Unidentified Flying Objects and seemingly "other-worldly" in their manouvers. This year a serious scientific analysis was undertaken to explain them and I will leave it to you to read and draw your conclusions as you see fit.
ghosttheory.com

15. The Ourang Medan - high strangeness on the high seas
I've saved, what I consider the best, till last.....................

I have left this “mother of all mysteries” until last for a reason. As some of you are aware, I have a maritime career and this, without doubt, continues to give me the chills for many many reasons. We’ve all heard of the stories of ghost ships and other maritime tales but perhaps you are not familiar with the SS Ourang Medan..

This story is so strange that there has been debate as to whether the vessel even existed in the first place - the USCG's testimony appears to favour the tale as being authentic.

You are going to have to hit the link because any summary will not do this tale justice!

Here is a teaser............

All the crew and officers of the Ourang Medan were dead, their eyes open, faces looking towards the sun, arms outstretched and a look of terror on their faces. Even the ship's dog was dead, found with a snarling expression at some unseen enemy. When nearing the bodies in the boiler room, the rescue crew felt a chill though the temperature was near 110°F.

mysteriousuniverse

END

I am overwhelmed at the responses that I have received for this dissertation. Thank-you all so very much.

May I extend a special thanks to Super Mod - Donttreadonme, for your very kind advice in guiding me to structure these and other postings correctly.

There have been plenty of requests to keep this sort of thing coming..........and I will oblige from here on with single event posts of the less well known but equally intriguing mysteries that we all find fascinating.

Once again thank-you all for your kind words and support.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Been waiting for this one, thanks again for the awesome reads!

There will be a part 4 right? RIGHT?!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I've loved your series of lesser known mysteries! These are the strange things I like reading on ATS. I've read all three posts so far and definitely hope for more.

All these things make you wonder what's really going on out in the world.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Great round off to three brilliant threads, hope you will do more sometime
Heard about one or two from the three threads but the rest are after giving me plenty to look up, S&F

edit on 15/9/12 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
After reading the article concerning the Ourang Medan, I am inclined to believe that angels destroyed the people and that vessel because it was carrying all of those nasty chemical and biological agents. If those weapons had been expanded upon and let loose, the world might not exist.

It very well might have been an act of God to safe humanity from itself. In fact, based on the reports of what that ship was carrying, I am sure of it.

I disagree completely with the idea that they died because of those chemical and biological agents because they were in terror because of something they saw as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Or maybe the chemicals effects on them made them terrified? Why would god save us from those chemicals yet let us hold onto thousands and thousands of nuclear bombs that can obliterate whole cities in just a few seconds? Why didn't god stop those planes that dropped the bombs on Japan?

Just food for thought.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Finally!

I'm saving these on my PC as I only know about half of them.

Great work OP!

What ATS is all about...

Peace

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Yes the rictus of death at the hands of some boipoison would possibly make the faces of the dea look terrified or abgry or what have you.......
The series was great im gonna friend you cause i been checking this stuff out for a long time.....
there are some more unmentioned that would be apropriate to the thread i say go for four or more......great stuff!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I'm pretty sure breathing in deadly poison that burned like hell wouldn't put a smile on your face.

As for the corpse that was strewn across the deck, my theory is that maybe the poison had a different effect on the dog that made it go crazy enough to rip up the corpse?

It really is a fascinating story, if true.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hi sublimecraft

I have loved reading your three part thread, some of these mysteries I was aware of and some not. Really enjoyed re-reading the mysteries I has read about before and discovering the ones I was unaware of! Thanks!

Like others have said before in the previous parts, they remind me when I was young and used to read a magazine my father used to buy called (if I remember correctly) 'Unsolved Myteries'.

One particular issue always sticks in my mind, it came with a free floppy vinyl disc that contained alleged recordings of ghosts speaking and making all sorts of noises (EVP's), I kept the disc for a while but I was always too scared to listen to it! lol

To this day I have never heard what was on that disc, by the time I plucked up the courage to listen to it I couldn't find it, I think my mother found it and threw it away....

Thanks again for a great thread!

Gnobody

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Thank you!!! you should keep them coming, I love reading about these mysteries. just when you think you've read them all new ones come out! I think I have read about only 1 of the ones you posted and I have read a lot of them!

So THANKS again

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Awesome threads, my friend! Keep them coming!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I agree with everybody else, DO NOT STOP NOW! Im have a great time reading these things...
I vote for well.. more

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Or maybe the chemicals effects on them made them terrified? Why would god save us from those chemicals yet let us hold onto thousands and thousands of nuclear bombs that can obliterate whole cities in just a few seconds? Why didn't god stop those planes that dropped the bombs on Japan?

Just food for thought.

Why would God create someone who doesn't believe in His power?

Point being that if you had read the article, you notice that those particular chemicals and bio-agents were particularly deadly. Mutually Assured Destruction is not as definite when it comes to chemical and biological warfare as it is with nuclear weapons. M.A.D. keeps people at bay : what keeps someone from spiking your kool-aid with some teenage-mutant-ninja-fungi and thereby infecting all the other zombies in a country that aren't able to retaliate for not knowing who, where, when, why....

No. All of those people did not have a look of terror, groping outwards, and the dog was not growling because they were dying in pain from only chemical agents. There was something else there. Their eyes were open and their mouths wide in terror.

Now whether you believe they all had the exact same hallucination or not; that's up to you. It seems apparent to me that if the story is true that there was another entity there. Clearly.

In the Bible it is written that the breath of God is as a "hoary frost". Despite the boiling heat in the boiler room, they felt a chill when inspecting it all.

And then the ship soon was blown up.

I can find just as much evidence here for the work of angels as I can for just random biological and chemical release - considering those who investigated the site DIDN'T CONTRACT ANY DISEASE OR PROBLEMS.

You're welcome.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Thank you for these threads...very entertaining and interesting. Star and flag for you my friend.

Personally I find the The Dyatlov Pass incident the most interesting and scary...just imagine what must have happened there to these people. I am not that interested to be among the people when it happens again....thats for sure....well....maybe watch from a safe distance. Thx again.
edit on 15/9/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
awesome mate thank you for shareing all of this with us!.
The Ourang Medan was a truely exciting read! S&F

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thanks so much for these threads...
they've been a great read!

I'd love to see more content like this on ATS... it's great stuff.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The Voynich manuscript
Proved a hoax!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
The Voynich manuscript
Proved a hoax!

Link, please?

J

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

"15. The Ourang Medan - high strangeness on the high seas" - Awesome I have not read a single thing about this ever. Tonight when i get home I have some research to do and read in to. Thank you very much. I love these posts thus far, but most I have read about or did not interest me a few of them. Thank you so much for bringing this one to my attention and of course it was #15

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join