It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop helping in covering up lies in the bible

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Ah, so incarceration for crime is worse than the death sentence.
At least, we modern day evil devil worshipers believe in rehabilitation and social tolerance.

By your logic, all tribes and cities all across the face of the earth should have been destroyed for not worshiping the God of the Hebrews. Instead it was only the religious intolerance and the racial cleansing of the area that they inhabited, that their God was so concerned with.

It's appalling to look back, with all know about anthropology today, and still consider that the residents of those cities deserved to die because they "worshiped demons." But the Shamans of all the other areas of the African continent and all around the globe were left to their "Satanism."

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Not what I am saying at all. What I'm implying is people refrained from crime knowing the consequences of their choices. Crime was virtually non-existant.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It wasn't non existent. HAHA! Convicted criminals were though!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

It wasn't non existent. HAHA! Convicted criminals were though!

It was so rare there was never a need to build jails. People knew the penalty for crimes and knowing what would befall them they refrained.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

"The Pentateuch" is the basis of Jewish Law, the same law that Jesus said "Till Heaven and Earth pass away, not one word shall be changed." This is the Law that Christianity is built on.

The opening "for truly I say to you," which can also be translated as "amen I say to you," is the first occurrence of one of the author of Matthew's favourite turns of phrase.
. . .
The main debate over the interpretation of this verse is just how absolute it is. Schweizer feels that "until heaven and earth pass away" means that the Mosaic Law will only last until the end times, and will be superseded in the messianic age. He argues that the opening "for truly I say to you" is "typical of statements concerning the eschaton." He also believes that this verse is a modification of the clearly eschatological one at Mark 13:31.
. . .
"Until all things are accomplished" is also the subject of controversy. It is uncertain what all is referring to and how it will be accomplished. France lists three interpretations: until the end of the world, until all the requirements of the Law are met, until the arrival of the messiah.
Wikipedia
Jesus by saying truly is making a prophecy.
The context is his having just given the Blessings. Saying them from "the mount" is equating this activity with Moses and the mount of Sinai. So "the law" that would not be changed until all is fulfilled is the (new) law he just gave that those people he mentioned previously would be blessed, and that would be through Jesus being the fulfillment of the prophecy in the (old) law of a savior.
This act of salvation by Jesus signals the end of that age, and the beginning of the eschatological one, where everyone is blessed (meaning the one we are in now, ever since the ascension of Jesus into heaven).

edit on 17-9-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

reply to post by r2d246

It is true that, indeed, Mother Teresa's prayers went unanswered. She wrote letters to the Pope and memiors expressing her prayers and her exasperation of lack of cooperation, funding and issues of hunger, disease and war. She was one of those people who prayed for others.

She expressed her concern that if her prayers were left unanswered that perhaps, maybe not even God exists. That's where her life long ministry left her!

Where is my faith?" she wrote. "Even deep down… there is nothing but emptiness and darkness... If there be God — please forgive me."

Eight years later, she was still looking to reclaim her lost faith.

"Such deep longing for God… Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal," she said.

As her fame increased, her faith refused to return. Her smile, she said, was a mask.

"What do I labor for?" she asked in one letter. "If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."
Where is my faith?" she wrote. "Even deep down… there is nothing but emptiness and darkness... If there be God — please forgive me."

Why didn't Jesus answer Mother Teresa's prayers?

edit on 17-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

All this is speculation. YOur saying Prayers.. what prayers? When specifically, and on what basis can we confirm they weren't answered. I prayed for 2 things specifically. Like very very specifcally and I got both exactly as prayed. You got to be careful what you pray for though. Lots of things we think we should pray for, we really shouldn't. Whatwe really should be praying for is other people, and souls, and to be content with what we have, and wisdom.

One other thing, MT was catholic. Why do you think there was the protestant movement. For all we know God might not be as active in the catholic church because of all the crazy things they got going on. So it is possible that might be one reason.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I would also like to add that a struggle with ones faith is not evidence for an absence of God. I can't count how many times I've struggled with my faith. To me personally, it is as natural for a human as breathing. If you aren't asking questions and challenging yourself intellectually and spiritually, you're doing it wrong. Doubts and internal struggle are a natural consequence of that process. It doesn't mean you are weak, or that God doesn't exist. It means you are human.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Why didn't Jesus answer Mother Teresa's prayers?

Perhaps for the same reason He didn't answer the prayers of Pope John Paul II.

Perhaps she was praying to Mary...

God never promised to hear Religious prayers from those who do not believe in Him.

Former Catholic Sister Says Even Mother Teresa Is a Fraud

Hell’s Puppet Beatified: The Unseen Hands Behind Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

reply to post by r2d246

7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

Clearly this isn't true. Even Mother Teresa's prayers went unanswered.

I don't think that's true. My prayers have always been answers. And the things I've asked for I've received. You're assuming with that in terms of you and in terms of others such as Teresa. How do you know it won't work? But the requirment is that "my words remain in you". That means you've become a Christian. Are saved and are walking in good terms with God. If you do that then you can ask away. I honestly don't see why not. Like I'm serious, the prayers I've asked for I've gotten. It's so weird, but that sort of confirms it to me. I haven't seen that verse in a while.

I can't rule out the power of self determined will, when it comes to getting the things we want. I have to wonder at the goals and integrity of an individual who claims that all their prayers have been answered.

Really? You have a "genii" in your pocket and you are self content? I don't think it speaks very highly of any individual to say the their prayers have been answered when there is still horror and suffering in the world.

21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

3) Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst. (Matthew 18:19-20

All this is speculation. YOur saying Prayers.. what prayers? When specifically, and on what basis can we confirm they weren't answered. I prayed for 2 things specifically. Like very very specifcally and I got both exactly as prayed. You got to be careful what you pray for though. Lots of things we think we should pray for, we really shouldn't. Whatwe really should be praying for is other people, and souls, and to be content with what we have, and wisdom.

One other thing, MT was catholic. Why do you think there was the protestant movement. For all we know God might not be as active in the catholic church because of all the crazy things they got going on. So it is possible that might be one reason.

I didn't know that Jesus was boycotting Catholics' prayers.
Good to know!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

"The Pentateuch" is the basis of Jewish Law, the same law that Jesus said "Till Heaven and Earth pass away, not one word shall be changed." This is the Law that Christianity is built on.

The opening "for truly I say to you," which can also be translated as "amen I say to you," is the first occurrence of one of the author of Matthew's favourite turns of phrase.
. . .
The main debate over the interpretation of this verse is just how absolute it is. Schweizer feels that "until heaven and earth pass away" means that the Mosaic Law will only last until the end times, and will be superseded in the messianic age. He argues that the opening "for truly I say to you" is "typical of statements concerning the eschaton." He also believes that this verse is a modification of the clearly eschatological one at Mark 13:31.
. . .
"Until all things are accomplished" is also the subject of controversy. It is uncertain what all is referring to and how it will be accomplished. France lists three interpretations: until the end of the world, until all the requirements of the Law are met, until the arrival of the messiah.
Wikipedia
Jesus by saying truly is making a prophecy.
The context is his having just given the Blessings. Saying them from "the mount" is equating this activity with Moses and the mount of Sinai. So "the law" that would not be changed until all is fulfilled is the (new) law he just gave that those people he mentioned previously would be blessed, and that would be through Jesus being the fulfillment of the prophecy in the (old) law of a savior.
This act of salvation by Jesus signals the end of that age, and the beginning of the eschatological one, where everyone is blessed (meaning the one we are in now, ever since the ascension of Jesus into heaven).

edit on 17-9-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

All this is arguable and still being debated among scholars with a much greater vested interest than me. To me, the event of the "New Covenant" isn't the problem. I can see my way through the whole Jesus story, even though I don't take it literally.

My problem is in hanging onto the belief that the same "GOD" that made the first covenant is the same "god" that directed the Hebrews into bloodthirsty battles against these cities for material profit, in the scriptures I have provided. Was "GOD" ordering death to those who broke the 10 Commandments.

If so, then all those religions that reject Jesus as the Messiah are still bound, in their own minds, under those old laws, subscribed to them by their God. Separation of church and state means very little in that mindset, as their beliefs continue to dictate superiority over secular society.

I think it's time to redefine God. God is not a volcano, or a comet, or a nuclear bomb, or an angry man in the sky waiting for the last straw to bring back his bloodthirsty violent wrath. He's not Santa Clause, a Genii in a bottle, or the Galactic Star Federation of Light Beings.

Here's a start. God is our hope. God is all we are striving to be.
edit on 17-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

. . . all those religions that reject Jesus as the Messiah are still bound, in their own minds, under those old laws, subscribed to them by their God.
That is a problem.

I think it's time to redefine God.
That was one of the things Jesus was doing. We can only properly understand the real God through Jesus. That is my opinion.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

You didn't really answer my question though.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Ya I agree. There's always struggles.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Are you sure? I think I have.

Would you care to restate your question?

If you do, I'll try to restate my answer.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Out of the 28 books that people claim to be from God...

GUESS which one is the one that is always mocked?

Yep, you guessed it... the one that actually IS from God.

Is it a coincidence that only the BIBLE is attacked by Atheists and secularists?

I think NOT...

Its not exactly a co-incidence.

Atheists and secularists, who attack the bible, are for whatever reason located largely in North America and Europe, where Christianity has been a dominant religion for several centuries.

So its kind of obvious that the atheists would be going after the religion that they are most familiar with... i.e - Christianity.

I'm pretty sure atheists in the middle east would be going after the Koran.

edit on 19-9-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

Is it a coincidence that only the BIBLE is attacked by Atheists and secularists?

I think NOT...

Atheists and secularists, who attack the bible, are for whatever reason located largely in North America and Europe, where Christianity has been a dominant religion for several centuries.

So its kind of obvious that the atheists would be going after the religion that they are most familiar with... i.e - Christianity.

Not sure if there is such a thing. The only Arab atheist I've met was from Iraq. He fled Iraq and moved to Canada where he eventually earned a masters in Psychology. It's a lot more dangerous to be an atheist in Muslim dominated countries than it is in the west.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Not sure if there is such a thing. The only Arab atheist I've met was from Iraq. He fled Iraq and moved to Canada where he eventually earned a masters in Psychology.

Well, I was just pointing out that atheists tend to take shots at the religion that is prevalent in their regions.

It's a lot more dangerous to be an atheist in Muslim dominated countries than it is in the west.

True. But in the hypothetical scenario where atheism rises in the middle east, it would be the Koran which the middle eastern atheists would be going after.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

I think NOT...

No, they would be too busy trying to keep their head attached to their neck. Muslims who attack the Quran or Muhammad get the death penalty.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

skorpion: "I'm pretty sure atheists in the middle east would be going after the Koran. "

No, they would be too busy trying to keep their head attached to their neck. Muslims who attack the Quran or Muhammad get the death penalty.

Even if they don't criticize the Koran openly, the atheists living in the middle east would do it in private... or just remain silent about their lack of belief. Yes, they will be nowhere as outspoken as their American/European counterparts, but the point remains that atheists tend to go after the religion that is prevalent in their respective regions...whether they do it openly or in private.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join