It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop helping in covering up lies in the bible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by murphy22
To be ignorant and then call what you don't understand "a lie" is..... well, ignorant.

You can't take a verse here and there and say it's all "a lie." Because you don't understand something doesn't make it untrue.

It's not a verse here and there that is a lie. It's the whole book. Doesn't it bother anyone that man had been around for at least 100,000 years before a god chose to intervene? Doesn't it bother anyone that Jesus didn't make disciples out of people from China, Japan, the Mayans, North American, South American...

Everything about the bible centers around the Middle East. Even back then the world was a LOT bigger than that. These stories were historical fiction, revealing the ignorant thoughts and primitive beliefs of a backwards people.
edit on 9/15/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I can tell by your replies that you are actually reading the whole thread, its nice to see people still do that. I posted a link to probably one of the most controversial threads on ATS and I had a hand in writing it yet no one will even touch it. Instead they continue at WarJohn for his single example.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Such new and original thinking! We totally needed another thread like this. I mean... It's not like there are literally thousands of others to choose from here on ATS or anything.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Where is WarJohn the OP response, where's the response that we ATS need?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
?????????

Shouldn't this be in the Rant section?
edit on 15-9-2012 by pacifier2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
OP is nowhere to be found, probably because he didn't get the reaction he was expecting: full blown support and ego boosting. Oh where have all the Bible bashers gone?

You clearly have no understanding of even the most basic Christian theology.

I suggest not just reading over the words on the pages of the bible but studying it before jumping to the ridiculous conclusion that it is a LIE because you don't understand the difference between Christ's resurrection and second coming. TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS!

And I agree with the other poster... completely unoriginal thread. There are hundreds of these "the bible is a lie cos I don't understand it" threads. Seriously, they should just delete most of them ... or maybe merge them all together. That would be the longest thread EVER!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Sounds like more of an emotional appeal than any facts or reason. Also I'd like anyone to try and point to some actual lie or contradiction in the bible. That's why it's the worlds most popular religion. because millions of people have tried taring it appear and trying to come up with some angle to point out a lie or contradiction and no one has. Sure some people have some personal opinions but they don't stand up to historic facts, and would never stand up in a court of law. They just end up being theories and opinions at best with no solid evidence. All the solid evidence ends up supporting everything written in the bible. It's the most popular book and spiritual path to everlasting life for good reason. It's sad but were becoming such a dumbed down society that kids are basically taught concepts as if the bible is just a book of fairytails, instead of the actual historic record that any historian would account for.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

7) If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. (John 15:7 NAB)

Clearly this isn't true. Even Mother Teresa's prayers went unanswered.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

People have been covering up the lies that are in the bible.

In that book it is word of a second coming of a fellow named Jesus.

But that fellow had his second coming already when he came back resurrected from the dead.

So how is it that people still act like their is this second coming still pending?

Lo, the bible is a book of poorly told lies.

I'll admit, when I read your thread title, I thought it was just another rant against the bible.. rehashing the same arguments that are usually brought up. But after reading the OP, I feel you have raise an extremely valid point. Though we may not be on the same page when it comes to religion

The "second coming" already happened when Jesus made several appearances to his followers after his execution. If this is true and not a concocted legend, then Christians and Muslims should be awaiting a "third coming".

Anyway, I now have a new idea for a thread which I will make later.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Nooooot taking the troll bait

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

So raising valid questions is now "troll bait"?

If Jesus appeared several times after his execution.... and if we await his return shouldn't that be his third or fourth coming?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
reply to post by randyvs

What you said was that the Bible was one of the "finest examples of ancient literature." What I'm saying is that it is not; there are much more complex and interesting examples of ancient literature and storytelling available to us.

Have you ever looked at the actual literary prose of the Bible?

The characters are one dimensional (at best). The plot meanders and contradicts itself from book-to-book. Entire characters introduced as important, disappear after their one scene. There's no real threat present, as the "bad guy" is just a hapless pawn of the "good guy." And, worst of all, none of the characters are dynamic. The persona we're introduced to, is the persona they keep for the entire work. None of their personalities grow and mature as they do. It's dry, unimaginative writing that shows no care for storytelling or emotional efficacy.

Perhaps you've confused the projection of God you created based on your personal opinion of what He is like, with the rudimentary character the Bible portrays Him as. A book's purpose is not the same as it's literary potency. The Bible is very good for molding people into mindless sycophants for YHVH; but it is very bad at developing powerful literary themes, and demonstrating complex literary forms.

~ Wandering Scribe

Well despite your review/critique it outsells all the books you've mentioned combined.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Uh, his second coming was set for a much later date, as in lest he returns no flesh be spared later. People back then didn't have the weaponry to destroy the entire world, now we do. Atomic weapons type of no flesh be spared.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

So raising valid questions is now "troll bait"?

If Jesus appeared several times after his execution.... and if we await his return shouldn't that be his third or fourth coming?

Well, I guess I can point this out again. When the angel told the disciples that He would return in the same like manner they saw Him ascend it was 40 days after His resurrection.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well despite your review/critique it outsells all the books you've mentioned combined.

I'll accept this, because, I didn't mention any books. So, saying the Bible hasn't outsold a single book is perfectly fine by me.

And, in all honesty, the Bible is only the most published book in the world. It hardly outsells anything because most Bibles are gifted, stolen, or donated, not purchased.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 08051962
OP is nowhere to be found...

Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed ~ Proverbs 13:13

Out of the 28 books that people claim to be from God...

GUESS which one is the one that is always mocked?

Yep, you guessed it... the one that actually IS from God.

Is it a coincidence that only the BIBLE is attacked by Atheists and secularists?

I think NOT...

"All men are liars." ~ Psalm 116:11

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed ~ Proverbs 13:13

What word? How many Bibles did Solomon, who is credited with writing the book of Proverbs, have access too? None!

He had the Torah and the rest of Solomon's stuff is pretty occult, actually. Probably a lot his "Wisdom" came from Egyptian, Sumerian, and Babylonian mysticism and mythology.

So what "word" do think Solomon was referring? His own, by chance?

edit on 16-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

The book of Psalms was written by David.

You missed his point entirely.
edit on 16-9-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

It says when he comes back, how he will come back. Resurrected from the dead, does not follow these attributes.

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.
You are misinterpreting this verse.
What do you think it is saying, that the Son of Man is headed this way?
It is saying that the Son of Man is about to come into his glory.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn

People have been covering up the lies that are in the bible.

In that book it is word of a second coming of a fellow named Jesus.

But that fellow had his second coming already when he came back resurrected from the dead.

So how is it that people still act like their is this second coming still pending?

Lo, the bible is a book of poorly told lies.

Lo, we are living poorly told lies, even if you believe the things of the Bible or not, even if you are an atheist or a Christian...

Besides, only really few can properly understand the Bible. Even worse, our Bibles are not complete. Even the Canon Process is corrupted....

Many books left out where it should have been there and explained things in a more structured and scientific (logically sound) manner.

Exceedingly most believers believe the Bible is their ticket to bliss here on Earth! When the Bible says otherwise.... Only really few of those Christians have understanding of the Bible.
edit on 16-9-2012 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join