It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Personal Name Theory

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I could see this theory as being valid. My name is Nicholas, and one of my best friends has the same name. We both have a very laid back personality and share almost the exact same sense of humour.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

What an interesting theory. Well. I started out with a very pagan name, as a pseudonym, of course. Over time it has generalized to mean "circle of truth". Which only means, I like to discuss the heart of the matters, not just the outward shell. I like to brainstorm, contemplate, and try to problem solve. I like to address obvious issues and come to simple truths about simple matters. Religion is simple. God NEVER advocates war. The actions of peace, are the actions of a wiser person.

Actions define our character in times like these, not our name.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

I've gone through some pretty intense party phases, yeah. Slowed down some recently, because I've proven to be a raving lunatic blackout alcoholic.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
My name is Julio... Which I guess may be a "newer "version of Julius.... Anyone else here named Julio?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

I've noticed many name similarities as well.

Have you ever noticed yourself calling friends or loved ones different names/ nicknames/ pet names depending on the circumstance?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
Hello, tport17.

I'm not sure where your belief systems lie but I've taken the liberty of scanning a few pages from a book I own titled "The Great Tao" by Dr. Stephen T. Chang.

Here is the link to the file hosting service I am using. Once there, you can click the picture to have it zoom in so that you can read it better. I apologize about the slightly off-angled scans and lower quality:

Imgur Hosting

The pages are based off of the Taoist numerology system and go into detail about individuals' names. They claim to be able to determine your destiny, appearance by others, and even past life, solely from your name. I can understand if you are skeptical but please take a look as it might be congruent to what you believe. In any regard, take from it what you will.

P.S. I would invite anyone reading this to take a look at it as well. You might find some interesting details about yourself or someone else.

P.S.S In regards to vowels versus consonants, I am not sure what the Taoist would have considered the letter "Y". I have a Y in my name and just acted as though it was a consonant.
edit on 15-9-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: To add.

Thank you for posting these! I have looked them over and I will read them in a few minutes when I get a chance.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by tport17

I believe your theory has the characteristics of the name: "Horoscope"

What has astrology have to do with it?
Surely you mean numerology?

Anyway, I think there is something to it. My own life-long observation does bear it out, to a certain extent (wih many, many, many exceptions - in fact, exceptions ARE the rule in this case.
).

If there is something to it, it almost certainly has to do with SOUND, i.e. vibration. And considering that everything that exists in the perceptible world is a vibration pattern, it really isn't as crazy as it may sound.

Anyway, there are many numerology sites where you can amuse yourself endlessly calculating the numerical value of sounds (=names). I remember being quite obsessed with it for a month or so when I was fifteen.

P.S. Not to be a pest, but there is no theory in the OP: there are observations, but there is no discussion of the causes. And I say this with no malicious intent - or cantankerous mood
- whatsoever.
For a theory to be accepted as such, not only must it identify a cause for the phenomenon studied, but it also has to be able to predict effects.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHigherYou
reply to post by tport17

I've noticed many name similarities as well.

Have you ever noticed yourself calling friends or loved ones different names/ nicknames/ pet names depending on the circumstance?

I suppose I do this sometimes.

Here is an interesting story regarding names.

When I went to college, I met two guys named Joe and Chris. I had a real issue getting their names straight which is very unlike me. Joe just plain "felt" like a Chris and Chris like a Joe. My roommate agreed with me. I knew these guys for probably 4-5 years, and while I did eventually get their names straight, their names really didn't fit them. Joe turned out to be exactly like every Chris I have ever met, and Chris turned out to be exactly like every Joe I have ever met. I had grown up with at least 7-8 people each with those names.

It really made me wonder if they were meant to be named opposite.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

If there is something to it, it almost certainly has to do with SOUND, i.e. vibration. And considering that everything that exists in the perceptible world is a vibration pattern, it really isn't as crazy as it may sound.

Anyway, there are many numerology sites where you can amuse yourself endlessly calculating the numerical value of sounds (=names). I remember being quite obsessed with it for a month or so when I was fifteen.

P.S. Not to be a pest, but there is no theory in the OP: there are observations, but there is no discussion of the causes. And I say this with no malicious intent - or cantankerous mood
- whatsoever.
For a theory to be accepted as such, not only must it identify a cause for the phenomenon studied, but it also has to be able to predict effects.

I have thought about sound being a reason for this as well. I cannot quite work it out in my mind. Perhaps the tone and harmony of the name has something to do with the way we perceive it when we hear it.

And I had posted a reason on page one about it having to do with the environment you are born into. I think on some of my names I have worked out you can predict who a person is by their name. The main name that I have not found an exception to is the name Sarah. I have known so many Sarahs and they all have some kind of creativity. Before my niece was born, my brother told us her name was going to be Sarah. I told him then that she would like art and be creative. Well, she is 11 now and that rings very true.

But maybe that still doesn't make it a theory, observation is fine with me

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by tport17

I believe your theory has the characteristics of the name: "Horoscope"

What has astrology have to do with it?
Surely you mean numerology?

No, I was just commenting on the similarities in validity between a name theory of characteristics, and a horoscope. It's just like palm-reading for me, in that anyone can find general characteristics which people will identify with if the language is vague enough.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
Hello, tport17.

I'm not sure where your belief systems lie but I've taken the liberty of scanning a few pages from a book I own titled "The Great Tao" by Dr. Stephen T. Chang.

Here is the link to the file hosting service I am using. Once there, you can click the picture to have it zoom in so that you can read it better. I apologize about the slightly off-angled scans and lower quality:

Imgur Hosting

The pages are based off of the Taoist numerology system and go into detail about individuals' names. They claim to be able to determine your destiny, appearance by others, and even past life, solely from your name. I can understand if you are skeptical but please take a look as it might be congruent to what you believe. In any regard, take from it what you will.

I read through the pages and did the numerology. One thing interesting was that my maiden name and married name came out to the same number. However, the descriptions did not represent me at all. Perhaps others on here can try it out and see what they get. Do you find that it rings true for yourself?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Oh, sorry. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I can see how far-fetched (to put it nicely
) it can seem.
But, again, considering that sound is involved, there is at least some merit to it.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Well, I missed the "reason".
(Note to self: before you open your mouth make sure you've slept at some point in the past 48 hours.
)

Yes, the environment has to be taken into account.
After all, if sounds weren't interpreted differently from environment to environment - from social group to social group - we would all still be talking the same one and only language.

edit on 16-9-2012 by Vanitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Totaly agree with you !

Benjamin (Hebrew: בִּנְיָמִין, Modern Binyamin Tiberian Binyāmîn) was the last-born of Jacob's twelve sons, and the second and last son of Rachel in Jewish, Christian and Islamic tradition. He was the founder of the Israelite Tribe of Benjamin. In the Biblical account, unlike Rachel's first son, Joseph, Benjamin was born in Canaan. He died in Egypt on the 11th of Marcheshvan (which was also his birthday) 1443 BC at the age of 111.[citation needed]. In the Qur'an, Benjamin is referred to as righteous young child, who remained with Jacob when the older brothers plotted against Joseph.

age of 111 ! my number lol .. (maybe a sign)
recently searched my name more deeper .. never really put much though into my name
because it is just a name .. maybe not after all .. its more like a label that we were given
regarding what time we were born and under what constellation (Im a pure Libra)
so its all good until you try to see your name another way .. like anagrams
and the first one that shows up

Benjamin - > Ma Be Jinn .. for maybe jinn ?

the PM of Israel who have the same name he his my complete oposite and by far
that would apply to him lol

Names really do have some secrets if you know how to read its deep different meaning
and see which one fits you .. one thing im sure im no evil jinn

my short name is Ben and the PM have Bibi .. that alone show another difference

Thanks for the interesting thread .. SNF
edit on 9/16/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Very interesting theory man, I have always believed there is a...how would I say like a..well some people just look the same. Some people are just so similar its crazy and I see it all the time.

Anyways my name is otie (O-T)
Whats that mean?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by otie1

I have never known an Otie so I can't say haha! I have never met anyone with my own name either so I can't even classify myself.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Some practitioners of the occult consider their name to be their power-word and will not reveal it, instead they go by pseudonyms. The fear, according to some is that a Deamon or spirit may hear the name and use it to take possession or control of them.

Just re-telling what I have heard; not claiming it as fact.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
There are only about 40 people on this world with the same name as me

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rambo1112
There are only about 40 people on this world with the same name as me

You know what you need to do right? you've seen the highlander movies right? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Yes, I thought most of it was pretty true for myself. Especially the past life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join