It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making perfume, any use?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I wonder if perfume making would be any use in a SHTF situation. It seems to be the only handcraft thing I do right now.

Actually, I am soaking plants in oil and extracting the smell.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingMe

Most women going witout a bath for 5 straight days will easily give you some of her food in exchange for some soap, scented water or perfume.....so I'd say your solid.

That it will get you noticed by the wild animals is of lesser importance.

Peace
edit on 15-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Didn't think about the wild animals. But animals are not really what I would be worrying about. Although I wonder how I would get the ingredients to make it.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
If the SHTF, I think a lot of scrubbing and washing is required. Using perfume will not cover it and the foul smell will remain.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Can you make a mosquito repellent type of perfume? Look for lemony, or other citrusy types of ingredients.
Soap making would be really good also.

Essential oils from herbs maybe good....

Stuff that doesn't attract bees or predators.....

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

If you're really into making things like perfumes and scented soaps, The Perfumer's Apprentice has awesome stuff, as well as a lot of research and information about scents for anyone looking to start.

I make my own gardenia oil. I have three bushes in my backyard and when they come into bloom, I collect the petals and start collecting the oils from them. MMMM I love it.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If you can focus your talents on local native plants then you have a product and a skill that can be barterd. For instance, here we have wild rose who's peddles can be collected and soaked in warm water to creat a soap with a scent that in the normal world is paid handsomely for. Also native Juniper cones are used as a breath freshener. Pineapple weed and spruce pitch is used as a potpourri. Poplar dust is used as a sun screen. There are hundreds of uses like this.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

I will have to learn to make soap. I keep putting it off, the process will take a while.

reply to post by snowspirit

I could try to put lemon or lemongrass into it.

reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Thanks for the perfumer's apprentice link.

What method do you use to collect the oils from the flowers?

reply to post by dainoyfb

I have not noticed what kinds of plants we have near here. I really have to look more closely. Maybe i'll find something good.
edit on 15-9-2012 by ThinkingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

You could assign the various scents into some sort of odiferous cryptogram. It might be a slow process to pass detailed information but it would be subtle.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I would certainly consider your art worth bartering for after SHTF. It's like music or visual arts. Something the world will always need.

You might like this movie, it's intense but masterful. Clever and unexpected ending.

s&f

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingMe
I wonder if perfume making would be any use in a SHTF situation. It seems to be the only handcraft thing I do right now.

Actually, I am soaking plants in oil and extracting the smell.

Ya it's gonna be HUGE if the shtf. Both for bartering as well as the fact that before deoderant, for centuries all people would use was perfumes to mask the B.O.! It's gonna be pretty similar if the SHTF.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
To my understanding if your extracting essence from plants for perfume, its the same thing as extracting it for medicine. Eucalyptus, tea tree, etc. This could actually be very valuable... If medicine is expensive then it'd be a very good bartering tool. To complement it learn some basic first aid and CPR.

Something that i remember reading is that cayenne pepper is actually suppose to be legendary at stopping bleeding. Comfrey is good for knitting wounds and even bones.

In a SHTF situation a medic/medical supplies would be one of the most valuable commodities... I'd trade everything I had for a medic If I had been shot or if a loved one had been injured.
edit on 16-9-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
From memory, I believe that I read somewhere that the industry that got through the bubonic plague of the dark ages relatively unscathed were the perfumers..

And if you're working with essential oils anyway, they have amazing antibacterial properties..

I say go for it.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Pretty much ANYTHING that can be made will be valuable because you will be able to trade it. When "SHTF" all the "survivalists" are going to grab their bug out bags and run into the hills. After a few weeks when they have all self-defended each other to death or starved to death everyone else will have started rebuilding society.
I would learn and start growing the stuff you need to make the oils for your perfume because luxury items like that would be able to be traded for some good stuff.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Wouldn't it be a little long to learn the code?

reply to post by tanda7

I didn't see the movie, but I read the sypnosis online. It does seem very intense, also there are a few types of extraction methods mentioned.

reply to post by r2d246

I guess it would help to mask a lot of unpleasant smells too.

reply to post by Nephlim

It will be useful to get information on the medicinal properties of essential oils too then. Having more knowledge is probably better.

reply to post by juniperberry

That sounds great, it really seems like nature has a lot of wonderful things. I will continue, it is still in the testing stage though. I would like to know that the smell can be extracted before fully going into it.

reply to post by Superhans

I am making the base currently. But it is still my first batch and I am trying to get the smell out of the plant materials.

I have been using a plastic container that may have been soaking up the smell. I only recently switched to a glass container. I have been using so much plant materials for nothing

edit on 18-9-2012 by ThinkingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
....... When "SHTF" all the "survivalists" are going to grab their bug out bags and run into the hills. After a few weeks when they have all self-defended each other to death or starved to death everyone else will have started rebuilding society.
I would learn.....

hahaha. "self defended each other to death".. your post made me laugh
OP If you are able to make anti-septic liquids, like a poster was suggesting, THAT would be awesome.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Idk maybe, uses for perfume making in a SHTF scenario was asked for thats what I came up with
I thought it was at least original

Now if you wanted to swing more towards distilling I could come up with some more practical uses/

edit on 9/18/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

Idk maybe, uses for perfume making in a SHTF scenario was asked for thats what I came up with
I thought it was at least original

Now if you wanted to swing more towards distilling I could come up with some more practical uses/

edit on 9/18/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

It was original, I don't have many friends to teach however and i'm still on my first batch.

What kinds of uses would they be if it was distilling ?
edit on 19-9-2012 by ThinkingMe because: add a smiley

edit on 19-9-2012 by ThinkingMe because: remove some smileys

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with wanting to smell nice as the radiation cooks your insides, or the zombies nibble on your head.

In seriousness though, it may be worth something as eventually people will tire of the smell of burning and death, smells link to memories usually of a happier time or a fondness for a specific person. Being able to rekindle those good memories in people who have lost nearly all hope would be worth more then any money.

top topics

join