It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa's Plan for Manned mission to Mars by 2035.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Nothing concrete but nevertheless a promising future from Curiosity's mission. The link has also shows the tentative plan as per how the mission would be accomplished.

When USA TODAY, celebrating its 30th anniversary with a look to the 21st-century future, spoke with NASA chief Charles Bolden, he emphasized "the critical importance of Curiosity, because it's not the first, but it's the most critical, the largest mission, that's a precursor for putting humans on Mars."

The first manned visits, he said, could happen around 2035 as an international endeavor. The first outposts on Mars could come after 2060.

LINK

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

That just plain sucks. There's no way I will still be alive in 2060. I would love to see something like that.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Who'd have thought in '69 when we landed on the moon, that we wouldn't be hitting Mars for another 66 years.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I would not like to be the astronauts attempting that, as exciting as it will be, it will be mental torture for them. So when you are all like "oooh yeeeah, great stuff", cast a thought for the poor buggers who sign up for it. Is it 6 month there, 6 month back? Jeeze, they need to work on better propulsion before attempting this.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This is weak. More people need to be involved in progressing the space program. Main problem is it hasn't been profitable as yet. How many math heads are getting under utilize on Wall Street?

Well, profitability need not discourage. The resources of the universe are practically infinite, and once transportation becomes more efficient the space driven economy will take off.

In fact, the country/organization that develops the breakthrough in space travel has the potential to dominate the economy on Earth. There is plenty of stuff to bring back from Mars and sell.

And as nanotech progresses, it will become more evident that matter is matter. We'll be able to send a robot to Mars and have it build a fleet of spaceships out of rock within a few hundred years.

The fact that activity beyond Earth is not a higher priority in political discussion makes me believe that it really is a higher priority to controlling factions and advanced far beyond public knowledge.
edit on 9/15/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Dont forget those guyz... there will already be humans on mars for a decade when Nasa decides to send theirs...

Mars One
edit on 15-9-2012 by Alda1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No doubt this will go the same way as the NASA return to the Moon mission went , float the idea then realize the costs outweigh the ambition and cancel it in a year or two .
I really don't see Man setting foot on Mars in this half of the century and when they do it will be a corporate venture to claim the resources up there .

CX

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I was either reading about this the other day or it was on telly, one or the other, they were saying that it would be a one way journey for who ever went.

Don't quote me on that, but they definately spoke of a manned mission and it was one way only to one of the planets.

CX.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

yeap.. thats their plan. check the link i gave... i'd be interested to go tbh

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I REALLY think that before even considering anything about having a manned mission to mars.

They should come out of the closet about the obvious anomalies on mars. Marsgate! There is so much going on it is a crying shame that it is truly getting glossed over.

The news media comes out (I viewed this morning about how they have found hematite blueberries on mars). And the've had pictures of that a while ago!

It is so sad as US citizens we are being manipulated to just accepting that what is going on, on mars is just a every day occurrence. When in fact it is the most incredible thing that has ever happened to earthlings !
True anomalies on that planet with most incredible structures: tubes, buildings, roads etc. etc. etc.

I can't even believe that ATS isn't really jumping on this every single day!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Is there a price to inspiration and creativity? Economic, scientific and technological returns of space exploration have far exceeded the investment. Globally, 43 countries now have their own observing or communication satellites in Earth orbit. Observing Earth has provided G.P.S., meteorological forecasts, predictions and management of hurricanes and other natural disasters, and global monitoring of the environment, as well as surveillance and intelligence. Satellite communications have changed life and business practices with computer operations, cell phones, global banking, and TV. Studying humans living in the microgravity of space has expanded our understanding of osteoporosis and balance disorders, and has led to new treatments. Wealth-generating medical devices and instrumentation such as digital mammography and outpatient breast biopsy procedures and the application of telemedicine to emergency care are but a few of the social and economic benefits of manned exploration that we take for granted.

Space exploration is not a drain on the economy; it generates infinitely more than wealth than it spends. Royalties on NASA patents and licenses currently go directly to the U.S. Treasury, not back to NASA. I firmly believe that the Life Sciences Research Program would be self-supporting if permitted to receive the return on its investment. NASA has done so much with so little that it has generally been assumed to have had a huge budget. In fact, the 2007 NASA budget of $16.3 billion is a minute fraction of the $13 trillion total G.D.P.

The profit has been there for all to see..

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
This is weak. More people need to be involved in progressing the space program. Main problem is it hasn't been profitable as yet.

“Space exploration can also serve as a stimulus for children to enter the fields of science and engineering.”

Vernikos on the R.O.I. of space travel: “Economic, scientific and technological returns of space exploration have far exceeded the investment. … Royalties on NASA patents and licenses currently go directly to the U.S. Treasury, not back to NASA.”

Cowing on space expenditures relative to other costs: “Right now, all of America’s human space flight programs cost around $7 billion a year. That’s pennies per person per day. In 2006, according to the USDA, Americans spent more than $154 billion on alcohol. We spend around $10 billion a month in Iraq. And so on.”

Stop the wars peace.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

Touche, man, touche. I way over simplified my point, which was that space exploration isn't viewed as a business activity when it should be.

And also, I believe if we progress in line with current trends then 99% of economic activity will be space related. Which by your point, considering satellites and information/communication tech it probably already is.

But I was talking more about deep space than orbital space.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I would not like to be the astronauts attempting that, as exciting as it will be, it will be mental torture for them. So when you are all like "oooh yeeeah, great stuff", cast a thought for the poor buggers who sign up for it. Is it 6 month there, 6 month back? Jeeze, they need to work on better propulsion before attempting this.

Why do you think that? Astrounauts routinely do 6 months missions on the ISS, and it is no mental torture, quite the contrary, I am sure they consider it an exciting time..

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
They must have the film crew and set about ready. It will take a few years to perfect editing and get great shots that inspire people ....yeah I would say 13 years of rehearsals should do it. They rehearsed less for the moon shots and look people still believe we landed there! They have to make the sets look like what we percieve Mars to look like. My suggestion is use the total recall set, you know, like they are doing with the rover.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

On the ISS you are constantly in touch with Earth in realtime, on the way to Mars, communication becomes longer and longer, ok, by minutes, but it will soon add up.

What do you do in 6 months to keep your mind occupied? Kindle? Monopoly? Internet will be slower than a 14.4kbps dial up.

EDIT: I want to say. I am excited by the idea of a manned mission, I am simply expressing my concerns for the well being and mental state of the people involved.
edit on 15/9/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17

Touche, man, touche. I way over simplified my point, which was that space exploration isn't viewed as a business activity when it should be.

That's ok we are all guilty of a little over simplified points- (no harm done).

And also, I believe if we progress in line with current trends then 99% of economic activity will be space related. Which by your point, considering satellites and information/communication tech it probably already is.

Yes we owe NASA a great deal otherwise we better go back to the cave man times (joke).

But I was talking more about deep space than orbital space.

Yes then we can mine for the goodies makes sense.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69
They must have the film crew and set about ready. It will take a few years to perfect editing and get great shots that inspire people ....yeah I would say 13 years of rehearsals should do it. They rehearsed less for the moon shots and look people still believe we landed there! They have to make the sets look like what we percieve Mars to look like. My suggestion is use the total recall set, you know, like they are doing with the rover.

They did land there, but explaining will surely derail this thread sir/mam i and others have explained
in countless threads that we have been.Im sick of it now to be honest ..

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

EDIT: I want to say. I am excited by the idea of a manned mission, I am simply expressing my concerns for the well being and mental state of the people involved.
edit on 15/9/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)
I am sure the training will be introduced to resemble the conditions of solitude sir.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Case in point
thank you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join