It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

https connections for members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
i have noticed that some major web sights have started to offer HTTPS connections to them,
and i was wondering if we could get a secure connection from ats so that i can be encrypted across the web,

and be still scoping the conspiracies,
while rocking the encryption
??
xploder
please

edit on 15-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

i would like to have the potability to use HTTPS on ATS,
it would be great if i could a secure connection from my favourite websight

xp

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Google uses it so other people on your network cant simply sniff your login credentials.

But yes, ATS could use it for the same purpose if they wanted to. A lot of people have invested many years in their identity here, so it would be a shame if someone stole it from them.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi911

Deleted post
edit on 15-9-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

download and use this , problem solved. The idea of using "secure" google is laughable as they store and track all your searches anyways, use this instead. While you are at it, delete your facebook page and your twitter account.
See ?
Most people do not want encryption or security, they just want to think they have it. And in my experience, the less a person is tech savvy the more laughable their attempts at online security are. like, "does it really matter how crazy your encryption is if you are posting that you are on the way to the mall on twitter? Yeah, don't want hackers picking up that gem before it posts publicly for everyone to see".

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I tried the Tor Browser Bundle and I hate it. Tor is super slow. It's not the browser part that's slow it's the Tor network itself. They have been working on these slowdown issues since 2009 and haven't been able to make it as fast as it should be. If someone is willing to handle the slow browsing then that's fine but to browse ATS with all the many threads you look at, Tor becomes a huge hindrance.

In fairness, it depends on what website your going to - some load faster than others almost normal speed but some take as much as a full minute or more to load.

I found a neat site that gives detailed comparisons of Tor browser like and other anonymous applications and services. This list has Tons choices and gives you a detailed break down of the pros and cons of each application/service. Each is rated for speed, anonymous rating, how much bandwidth you can use with the service and if the network does any logging of it's own. Many of these have much better anonymous rating than Tor and are much faster. Until ATS uses an HTTPS connection you owe it to yourself to see this site and find the app that works best for you.

www.techsupportalert.com...
edit on 16-9-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

i currently am testing https everywhere,
have done some testing on tor

and can produce "telescoped" encrypted hops,

but for the average non techy user https everwhere seems to be easy to use useful and doesnt attract the attension that using tor does,

in my country they use ultra deep packet inspection tech and tor use stands out because of a small number of exit nodes and a small user base.

https is easy to use and websights can easily enable it for little cost

thanks for the links to start page, will try it out

xploder

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
reply to post by XPLodER

download and use this , problem solved. The idea of using "secure" google is laughable as they store and track all your searches anyways, use this instead. While you are at it, delete your facebook page and your twitter account.
See ?
Most people do not want encryption or security, they just want to think they have it. And in my experience, the less a person is tech savvy the more laughable their attempts at online security are. like, "does it really matter how crazy your encryption is if you are posting that you are on the way to the mall on twitter? Yeah, don't want hackers picking up that gem before it posts publicly for everyone to see".

there are alot of places in my city that have free wifi,
including coffie shops town squares ect,
to be truly useable i require an "end to end" encrypted connection to prevent sniffing in public.

otherwise anywhere i log in using information over the free networks could be captured.

helps make it more portable/mobile for laptops ect

xploder

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by Superhans

i currently am testing https everywhere,
have done some testing on tor

and can produce "telescoped" encrypted hops,

xploder

I got my definition on how Https Everywhere works from here: blogs.law.harvard.edu...

HTTPS is a way for users to protect the content of their communications from eavesdropping. When browsers don’t use HTTPS and transmit data openly, anyone along the path between the browser and the destination can view what is transmitted (that includes the ISPs that carry your traffic, or individuals surreptitiously intercepting the data). By encrypting the data, you make it much harder for anyone other than the intended recipient to see the content. Most major sites that require you to log-in (Google, Facebook, Twitter) and sites that transfer sensitive information (banking sites) now offer an encrypted connection. (Instead of www.google.com..., your address bar will read www.google.com...).

Limitations: Many sites don’t offer HTTPS, and some that do default to unencrypted HTTP or go back to unencrypted pages after the log-in process. Because of that, users must keep an eye on when they are encrypted and when they are not. Using a resource like HTTPS Everywhere can at least ensure that you connect using HTTPS for those sites that have that option. It’s important to remember that even if you connect to a site like Gmail using HTTPS, you are not hiding the destination only the content; an ISP or a government can still know you’re visiting Gmail. HTTPS is also not foolproof, as it is possible for a determined party to pretend to be the destination, in what is a called a man-in-the-middle attack.

Since the only thing it really does is force an https connection for these sites that have https enabled, ensuring you a secure connection, it is not a good solution for sites that do not use https at all. It won't magically encrypt your data stream over a non https connection. While it helps, it's not the best option used on it's own. That's why it's good to couple your browsing with other technologies such as using a VPN.

The site I posted above offers more options than Tor you may want to look into. These are mostly applications like the a web browser configured for high security coupled with a VPN service built in. The best and most highly rated ( better than Tor) are CyberGhost, SecurityKiss and UltraSurf. You say you find Tor has some problems with how and where you are connecting, perhaps one of these app/service combos can help. Many in the list use Firefox as a browser so you can still use Https Everywhere with them. I'll repost the url www.techsupportalert.com...

This may help you some.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

your link comes up blank in my location weird,

tryed to fish around but that page wont display???

xploder

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

your link comes up blank in my location weird,

tryed to fish around but that page wont display???

xploder

I have no idea why that link should not work for you, I just tested it. I can try to post the content in some way for you. I'll work on it.To make this easier for you, they have listings for Windows and Linux as well as cross platform solutions. Which operating system are you using and I'll try to post the content relative to you?

Er.. thats for the page with all the apps and services.. did you mean the Harvard page wont work?

Here is something neat from the bottom of the Harvard page. It's called Telex. telex.cc... If you can access and use this, it may help you to see the web pages that are hidden from you like the one your having trouble with. It's a tool to circumvent blocked web pages.

If you can, read all of the Harvard page as well as my other link above. Once you get through it all, you will be very knowledgeable about all these technologies. If the above don't work, Let me know your operating system and I'll try to repost the info for you.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

when i turn the "everywhere off" i get the contents,
when its on i get

so most of that page is insecure

xploder

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I can't speak to that. I have no idea why that's happening. At least you found you could access the page. Try other tools they suggest to see if the same things happens with all tools. If your using Https Everything, perhaps it's a quirk with that page. The point is as you can see from the Harvard page, there are many tools that work different ways and they can overlap giving you better protection than using one tool alone.

Best of luck.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

thank you for the resources

i will keep messing around with tools

xploder

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i would LOVE to hear a mod on this,

while i wait for them to pop onto the thread,

i will link an article on how not to set up your https

Security professionals are recommending that operators of websites offering the secure hypertext transfer protocol (HTTPS) disable a bandwidth-saving compression feature to prevent a recently disclosed attack that permits the hijacking of encrypted browsing sessions.

arstechnica.com...

can a mod weigh in on this?

xploder

(post by someoneinnyc removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join