It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rantings of Generation X - This is the end. Technology is the END.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I just realized that I'm part of the last generation that will appreciate technology and not take it for granted. I can understand the greatness and know how of technology and still know what it's like to fight a phone cord from another room for privacy. I appreciate the new technologies and understand what "was". I'm not confounded by modern stuff and I can use old stuff too. While I still can fully understand its capabilities. The world will not end in this day and age. We have to fully lose "Generation X" too. I didn't understand what Generation X meant until this moment. Everyone has to forget how to survive and thrive on Earth instead of the Internet, that's not so far away that it's not within reach. The remaining people from the 80's are the last set of humans to grow into what we have now technologically speaking. Everything from here on will dumb down the masses to levels beyond understanding. If you look at today's youth vs 20 years ago... The truth will be crippling. Anyone with a child in grade school would understand...  They don't even bother to teach kids cursive writing in school anymore. Its come to the point where people have abolished handwriting because technology has advanced beyond writing things manually. Once the Generation X is gone, so is the planet. Everything future generations learn is based on this point in history. Having said that, decades from now, if something devastating were to happen, no one will be the least bit prepared. As a kid I just thought Generation X sounded cool and we were awesome. X marks the spot... The spot of the end of your journey. The treasure lies below.

Teach young people how to live beyond the bounds of our technological Internet society. Before its too late. 

**Sent from my iPhone**
edit on 15-9-2012 by SuperSeaver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSeaver

I got halfway through writing this thread before giving up, it was too bleak, and Im only posting it because we were on similar wavelengths.. I agree with you and thank you for sharing

We are further than we have ever been before. Advanced in many Scientific genres which branch into sub-genres, the world we study gives us answers but for each answer two new questions emerge.
Leaving us to forget the few simple questions that led us through this journey in the first place.

I fear we have become too reliant on technology. Something like a massive solar flare would be the ending of any further advance in the human race we know of today.

I see no coming back from an event that big, I mean, the amount of technology that would be effected around the entire world is mind boggling.

If we had a modern day Carrington Event the results would be catastophic.

With the amount of evil that walks the streets I can only imagine something of a Mad Max Scenario coming out of it. The good would exist, but the group mentality would kick in making a lot of the good slaves to their stupidity.

Only the old know of a time before advanced technology, how do the young survive in a world that theyve never been in?
They Don't, Everything goes to hell (metaphorically speaking)
edit on 15-9-2012 by SageBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SageBeno

I agree with that so much that I'm going to say its part 2 of what I just said. I'm glad you understood it 100% and elaborated further. You are EXACTLY right and we ARE in the save wavelength. The depressing truth is always the hardest to swallow, while being the most logical.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

**Sent from my iPhone**

classic, star and flag just for that lol
edit on 15-9-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Hmmm, a lecture on what young people should do regarding technology
from someone that doesn't proofread their title and is posting their
rant against technology on the web.

Nice.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Sorry if ATS doesn't let me post the full title Of what I wanted to say and is limited to what have you. Thanks for being a troll.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Also, thank you for being a troll. The people mobile you, who are punks and have nothing relevant to say, and point out mistakes in people's grammar are great. Thank you for noticing the fault on my title. I analyzed it and posted after such. Every hate is just a testament to the truth I am tryin to bring to the forefront.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
And in 20 years a man will post how he is the last generation to know what its like to actually hold a mobile phone and struggle to get reception.

Mean while all them kids will be spoiled with their hands free thought powered 100gigbyte wireless body heat powered implants...

and 20 years after that genetic alteration powered hive mind internet... well you get the picture, technology marches on.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I see where you are coming from but i just do not agree.

The world will not end in this day and age.

You're right, but it didn't begin in this era either. Technology already is life as we know it. Cars, artificial lighting, running water, air conditioning, ovens, refrigerators, even that corded phone you were talking about. People will always appreciate what they haven't always had. The future is not a place where everyone is just going to be born with everything, there will still be struggle to attain luxuries and because of that appreciation for them.

Everything future generations learn is based on this point in history.

I would sure hope not! Surely they will innovate new technologies of their own. Yah they will expound and build upon a lot of the research and findings of our day, but if you look at history, there is always unforeseen leaps and innovations made by extraordinary minds.

Once the Generation X is gone, so is the planet.

Hmmm, I'm not sure i agree with that.... The baby boomers and Gen X are the ones running things right now and it doesn't appear to going so swimmingly. I'm kind of ready to see what Gen Y's going to do with things. I sense the opposite, I see a merging and harmony of science and nature. I see a new wave of technology coming that benefits us without numbing us of our surroundings.

Everything from here on will dumb down the masses to levels beyond understanding. If you look at today's youth vs 20 years ago.

Ahh too late, lol, but i completely agree, except i would say youth post WWII vs pre WWII instead. (Especially being apart of Gen Y, it looks much worse from the inside) BUT as long as there is people like you and I who question things and think outside the norm there will be hope. The masses aren't everyone ya know.

Lastly,

decades from now, if something devastating were to happen, no one will be the least bit prepared.

Bahaha, for realz? If something were to happen tomorrow no one would be the least bit prepared. =P

Good to see people thinking about the future though.

Take it easy my friend

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You appreciate having indoor toilets and running water or ovens? you never took those for granted?
or were you talking about our most modern technology?

I think we're all guilty of taking technology for granted. We need to stop this blaming of the next generation for our problems. We're all at fault for any problems that happen on this planet.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Cursive is 100% useless. When do you ever use it? Never! They teach you normal writing, I don't get your point.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Whatever generation it is, there was probably something several generations before created that was taken for granted and not truly deeply appreciated.

Generation X is not special. They seem to think they are because everywhere I look it's "look at me! look at me! I'm generation X and I'm important because I'm not generation Y!"

Once EVERYONE gets to be a certain age, they appreciate things a little more.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I have a young friend who just turned 19 and I'm part of Gen X... He is obsessed with tech and Steve Jobs etc. he wants terribly to work at Apple. Anyway, I was trying to explain to him what it was like before the Internet, and how dial-up worked on a 14.4 bps modem and he just didn't understand. It's amazing how quickly things change.

The thing that bothers me is there seems to be a disconnect with the past in Gen Y. Now that might be said for other generations as well, and maybe they're just in their awkward stage of growing up but it seems like they have this idea of combining tech with nature... I just don't see how you can do that if you don't know both and how to live competently independent of each other, especially nature.

I know it's eqsy for Gen Y to blame us for this mess but it isn't that simple. We inherited this mess and it was coming down from way back at least to the end of WWII and most likely before.

It really doesn't matter who did what in the past. We all get so tripped up over our differences than working on melding ourselves into real communities. We can learn so much from the past. I would love to see a complete paradigm shift, where we could use our technology to do the major work and people live in Eco friendly homes in harmonious communities. It would be wonderful.

Unfortunately, greed and hate are far too prevalent these days. I don't know how to eradicate the bad parts of human behavior but I know until it is gone we will never have true world peace, and we will continue to slave away for the system, hoping to make just enough money to survive...

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Cursive is 100% useless. When do you ever use it? Never! They teach you normal writing, I don't get your point.

you use cursive everytime you sign your name

everytime you sign a contract for renting or buying a home, a car,signing a check etc etc, you are using cursive.
you can`t agree to a contract by printing your name on it,they won`t let you do that, you have to sign it.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Generation Y will rant about how they were the last generation to appreciate technology because they actually had to physically type into their smartphones instead of simply beaming thoughts at their facebook friends with their frontal-lobe implants like that spoiled Gen Z...

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

its faster to write in cursive once you have mastered it

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Believe OP is trying to tell us that the more "advanced" we become, the less capable we are of surviving without the tech.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

That's exactly what I mean. No since arguing with people who read the post and decided to pick it apart, looking for any reason to bicker. Haha. I simply said what I said, and some understood. I do believe the things I said ring true, regardless of what the other say.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
To further elaborate on the subject of technology owning us, in a completely unrated conversation with a friend just now, I said "This phone makes me not give a # and not care if I do anything. It makes me content with the unlimited possibilities of entertainment I hold in my hand. I don't care what happens or any breaking news. I just need this phone. It's f***g heroin man. F***ing heroin."

Technology is getting us all addicted. We are on an Internet high right now. Everything is available at your fingertips and life has lost all mystery.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It was Generation X that took the first leap into reality as we know it. We were the last to have a childhood that didn't involve the Internet. Being from that time and seeing it spring up into what it is today. Generation X may not be THE END but we're definitely the last generation that had an semblance of a childhood of wonder and mystery. We didn't have infinite knowledge at our fingertips. We do now. Most of us have become slaves to it. I have. Have you?

**Sent from my iphone**
edit on 16-9-2012 by SuperSeaver because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join