It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Letter to all ATS Members, Mods, and Staff.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulyeney

All of the issues involve T&C infractions. But privacy policies mean that staff doesn't share the reasons.

Sometimes these issues aren't in public at all - maybe they occur in U2U's or the chat room.

The membership, at large, sometimes does see a very off color or problematic posts, on the boards, and they are basically aware of the problem. Sometimes the problems aren't so obvious and out in the open.

But it's always T&C. And the staff always discusses and debates before banning - except in obvious cases like new accounts that are created to troll, advertise, disrupt, etc.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Its not like any of us are ever gonna meet and we all have our off days,and in the end there just words. I remember some words an old hippy once said "Sticks and stones man...............sticks and stones.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thank you for clarifying it Heff, that makes sense.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
So that's what that was about.
I've spent my own time making close visual inspection of my hemorrhoids and using that as a filter to measure the rest of the world by.
No hard feeling here and good luck with your recovery

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I just got censored on my own thread because I let a troll get the best of me. It is important to note, that if you want to harrass someone on this website, you either need to be well liked, or do it in such a subtle way as to be annyoing but somehow slip by the T and C's. Very frustrating. I am so angry right now. gooooose fraba

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by davidsander

Being well liked is not a factor at all. Many "well liked" members are no longer a part of the community because they violated T&C to an extent that warranted it.

If a troll or insulting poster attacks you, simply use the "alert" feature and allow staff to handle it.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Good post, TVT. But don't guarantee that you won't snap from time to time. It's human, we all do it. If a post gets deleted, just sigh and accept it and move on.

I find that the most offensive word in any chat forum is "You". When people use this word it generally means they have suddenly broken away from the topic at hand and is about to attack the person. "YOU are an idiot." "Did YOU even take the time to watch the video I posted???" "YOU need to read everything on every link I made before YOU embarrass yourself further!"

These comments can get under anyone's skin. I try to ignore them, but sometimes I just can't. That's life. Just do your best.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Nicely done tvtexan fellow! You're gonna sleep good tonight my friend!
Ps, what are stars n flags? ( fng here)
Are those reward points for gas?

edit on 15-9-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Being well liked is not a factor at all. Many "well liked" members are no longer a part of the community because they violated T&C to an extent that warranted it.

If a troll or insulting poster attacks you, simply use the "alert" feature and allow staff to handle it.

~Heff

Ok, I wasn't quite sure how to put this into words earlier, but now I think I may have a way, let me know if this makes sense.

I believe some memebers on here use a form of trolling that is undetectable/immune to the T and C's . What I mean by that, is sometimes people try to dispute what you say, even if they really can't dispute it. They have no facts, they just use opinion, so when you go back and say no, these are facts, take a look, they continue to try to make your facts looks false, or stupid or whatever. So you get a bit angrier, and you say no, look, here they are , I have these facts right here, I line them up, and shine a light on them, then I offer the troll/ valued member of ats a pair of glasses and I say, see, look, i lined up the facts, i got a light shining on them, and you got your glasses on, then the person ( much to my frustration) continues to pretend to have a leg to stand on, gets mildly insulting, and continues with their subtle rampage. And then ATS and the good Mods decide to censor me, Like I have done something wrong, when I try to shake this troll off my back. I just wish more people on here wouldnt be insulting and dismissive in such a passive aggressive way, if we are going to censor at all, maybe we should add to the censorship rules, like if someone comes on a thread and disagrees, fine, let them disagree. but if they are being disagreeable for the sake of it, and continually posting and being antagonisitc, censor that. I have never gone onto a thread and repeatedly harrassed someone just because I don't agree with their post. Even if i think something is dumb, I keep it to myself. just disagree and move on. p.s.
ha·rass
   [huh-ras, har-uhs] Show IPA

verb (used with object)
to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.

and im feeling sick from it!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

If a person is a bit aggressive, but within T&C, staff cannot do anything if their reply is on topic. The best advice I can give is that if a person irritates you in the way they reply, either report it, ignore it, or take the higher path and reply to them in a polite manner. The latter technique quite often will shame an aggressive poster into either changing tone or leaving the thread altogether.

The ATS members are wise and they know a provocative or trolling post when they see one. But, ultimately, you are responsible for what you post - and falling for troll bait is not the way to handle such things.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Wow, i have to give you major props for this one. I can identify actually with getting caught up with the trollish posting at times, it's good to step back and put things in perspective. I have a lot of respect for the fact you can man up and apologize for where you feel you've done people wrong. Speaks volumes about your character as a person, in my opinion.

You say you don't want them, but i'm sorry, star and flag for you. And a thumbs up. Hell, two thumbs up, Siskel & Ebert style.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Im not sorry for some of the trolling i do - I think im ruddy hilarious sometimes!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Hi TV texan! No stars or flags for you cause its what you asked.

I just wanted you to know that I did read your introductory post last year or so when it came out.

I thought it was great that someone from the mainstream media here to give us the heads up!

Then everyone started at you and asking questions demanding proof, and you acted back, so I lost interest.

Now I will pay more attention to your posts. Thanks for being humble!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I wish I had some troll bait, I'd set a trap lol

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

When I first came to ATS I was prone to being sucked in by the ridiculers and hate mongers. By the time I was done I was no better then who I was flaming, then a Mod posted a thread on "critical thinking", I am far from it yet but it is a whole lot more interesting and hardly ever feel bad about what I have said.................just a thought.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
BAN HIM!
J/k...takes a lot of guts to cowboy up like that...to be honest, I really don't understand what trolling is nor have I researched. Seems its come up whenever there is a disagreement, therefore I take it as an equivalent to @ssh0le or the like.
No star or flag for you, means more that way.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980
reply to post by tvtexan

Is this a shameless bid for stars and flags?

Is this really the first comment? OMG. Anyone who was feeling a little compassion will instantly be snapped back to reality by those who embody cynicism. But don't feel bad Mr. InTheFlesh...ATS has a way of turning everyone into a cynic, as the OP alluded to. Of course, there is the possibility that you don't mean any of this, and if this is the case, it is not my place to curse you for your behavior...So I will assume you are being honest. But I will not star and flag, because I am assuming you are not out for them, as I said.

If you have really come to the conclusion that you posted, with you being at fault, then I applaud you. There are so many people who likely go through some of the same steps, or similar ones, but they never come out of the abyss. They continue to blame everyone else, never even considering they may be the ones to blame...Or never even considering that they may be wrong.

So it really is an uncommon thing to reach the point you say you have.This means you have opened new doors for yourself internally, and you will continue to grow as a person, whether you continue to participate on these particular forums or not. Knowing that is a greater reward than 1000 stars or flags...But not 10,000 or more, because that is a lot.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I star and flagged based solely on the fact that the OP seemed genuinely sincere. I'm not sure i like this star and flag system here at ATS, im not used to it in forums and it seems like a popularity contest around here sometimes. Lot of the good posts come from lesser starred members i find. Anyways. A whole other topic, suffice it to say whoever said the OP was fishing for S&F's i do not agree with, i think your off base with that assessment, based on my impressions of the tone of the letter.

Peace. ~

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Once again I wish to thank all of you for your comments, thoughts, and encouragement on this thread.

Exposing the very heart of who you are is scary.
I meant every word I wrote, thanks for being gentle.

While there were several posts that touched me, I must make mention of the best post here, and words that have literally rocked me to the core!

HERE IS WISDOM....

Originally posted by Maxmars
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Each step of the path you take
is the summation of the one before,
and the prelude to the next.

The way is interconnected, drawing from itself,
and rendering all purpose to those steps that preceded it.

I believe the Old Man once said,

"In dwelling, live close to the earth.
In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous.
In governing, don't try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy.
In family life, be completely present.

When you are content to be simply yourself
and don't compare or compete,
everybody will respect you.

Fill your bowl to the brim
and it will spill.
Keep sharpening your knife
and it will blunt.
Chase after money and security
and your heart will never unclench.
Care about people's approval
and you will be their prisoner.

Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity."

I believe you are ready.

What you've described is a path many follow. Thanks for flowing with a higher path.

Peace.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Thank you Maxmars!
This spoke to me more than I can possibly express!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm proud of you!
Keep it up!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join