Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Romney out of touch...thinks middle income is $200,000 - $250,000 per year

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
At worst $200-250k is UPPER middle class income. Everybody wants to bring up this city or that city, but let's keep this in perspective here-these things speak of AVERAGE income, meaning average middle income in California would be higher, somewhere else might be lower. Point being, he is talking AVERAGE income, and across this nation, $200k is above middle income. $200k may not be wealthy, but it is WAY more than the average person in this country makes.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I must live conservatively. Own a home, 2 cars (everything's paid off) and my wife and I combined make just under 40k a year. Even had a son graduate from college though he worked through his college years.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
$25,000 is middle class? Where in this country can you live comfortably on $25,000 a year? Gas cost 4 bucks a gallon. Bread is $2.39 a loaf. Hamburg is $4.79 a pound. How can a family making $25,000 survive let alone be considered to be middle class? In my book $25,000 is poverty. At $100,000 I am making ends meet, but I don't have any luxuries. I don't go out to eat. I don't go to the movies. I don't go on vacations. And things are getting worse in this country.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
In an interview airing on Good Morning America this morning, Romney was asked if the middle income of Americans is $100,000, to which re replied.."No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000".

Is this guy serious? Is he so out of touch that he really thinks that is what the middle or average income is in the country he wants to be leader of? In fact, the middle income is only around $50,000 but I guess when you are worth billions, the difference between 50 grand and 250 grand isn't that much.

Romney out of touch...AGAIN

This another reason why I think Obama is going to win by a landslide!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Q33323

Yau can barely make it on 100K a year anyway?!?! Are you joking!?!? Maybe when people realise that they don't need to waste money on so much stupid stuff to survive then they do better,, Anyone who can't make ends meet earning $100,000 must either have some insane bills, lawsuit, or addiction draining their money away because that is far more than enough to survive comfortably. TO say otherwise is snobbery imo.

Remember people you don't need sky tv, xbox/ps3,football season tickets, sports cars etc to survive. People really seem to think they these non essentials are now essentials and act like they have a right to be able to afford them. You can feed a family of 4 on $100 a week, a small house and car is few hundred a month, maybe a couple thousand. So what are these 100k earners doing with all the rest? I bet they have a mortgage for a house larger than what they should have as well as credit cards and sports cars that they can't afford and thus are left in ruinous debt.

100k a year is LOADS 0f money. I live in the UK (not cheap to live here) and in dollars earn about $30,000 a year and support only myself, sometimes buy the gf some stuff and take her out etc. I am by no means rich, but I am comfortable, yes I don't have enough for the finer things in life so much, but if you halved my wages I could still pay my rent and enough food to survive. I think we are spoilt rotten in our nations, people have no idea how lucky they are and genuinely think it's their right to own all the things associated with modern life.

We need to strop being so darrrn greedy and ungreatful for what we have!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

I applaud you sir, I'm sick of people complaining that they are only just surviving when they earn so much more than me, even 3 times as much as me and more! Well I'm getting by ok, not great but not bad. Like I said before these people must either have got into huge debt, have some more serious issues eating into their finances or just not realise that 'surviving' doesn't mean 2 cars, 4 bedroom home, all the mod cons etc. Surviving is cycling to work, eating only what is cheap, not watching satalite tv etc. How can $100,000 be just enough to 'scrape by!?!?!?'

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
"Middle" income $250,000? He's seriously out to lunch.

Maybe this is the case as to why he's battling Obama on ending tax cuts for people making more than $250,000. Mittens probably thinks $250,000 is the average American income.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
At worst $200-250k is UPPER middle class income. Everybody wants to bring up this city or that city, but let's keep this in perspective here-these things speak of AVERAGE income, meaning average middle income in California would be higher, somewhere else might be lower. Point being, he is talking AVERAGE income, and across this nation, $200k is above middle income. $200k may not be wealthy, but it is WAY more than the average person in this country makes.

I'd think $200K - $250K would almost make up the 1% of the Middle Class, at least when it comes to individual incomes.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1
I must live conservatively. Own a home, 2 cars (everything's paid off) and my wife and I combined make just under 40k a year. Even had a son graduate from college though he worked through his college years.

Well done, Sir to you and your family !

Mittens must think you live on food stamps.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ratisch
$25,000 is middle class? Where in this country can you live comfortably on $25,000 a year? Gas cost 4 bucks a gallon. Bread is $2.39 a loaf. Hamburg is $4.79 a pound. How can a family making $25,000 survive let alone be considered to be middle class? In my book $25,000 is poverty. At $100,000 I am making ends meet, but I don't have any luxuries. I don't go out to eat. I don't go to the movies. I don't go on vacations. And things are getting worse in this country.

NOT $25,000, he said "$250,000" is Middle Class.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SamLuv
Ill make a 10k bet that a family of 4 could live perfectly well on 100k in ANY american city.

How can you expect a snob like Romney to understand REAL money

Hey, I'd be happy if Mittens will setup a Government subsidy so that my salary increases to his idea of median income.

There must be a really good Government susidy planned for those of us living in poverty on $75k - $100k a year, so that we can be lifted out of what Mittens describes as our poverty.

Romney/Paul 2012 ! lol - JUST KIDDING PEOPLE. Obama/Biden 2012 (for the sanity of the World),

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q33323
I know lots of folk who have a family income in that range. They are certainly not "living large." It depends on where you live. That amount in jerk-water Nevada would be fine. In San Francisco, $200k, for a family of four, might qualify you for food stamps.

You can barely make it on $100k these days... anywhere.

What? We're making quite a bit less than $100k and am living very comfortably. We make car payments, live in a very nice penthouse suite, are up to date on all our bills, and live in a city that was recently listed amongst the top 20 most expensive places to live in North America.

We recently had a 3 week trip to Europe.

Can't make it on under $100K ? REALLY?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I know lots of folk who have a family income in that range. They are certainly not "living large." It depends on where you live. That amount in jerk-water Nevada would be fine. In San Francisco, $200k, for a family of four, might qualify you for food stamps.

1/4 that for millions that are "somehow" making it

Obama never had to get a "REAL" job before being dictator....errr.. prez.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

If you can barely make it on a 100k a year then you are doing something very very wrong.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Dear. God. Mittens really has no idea how the real world works does he? He doesn't have a flipping clue. Completely out of touch.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

I noticed there was a very important word that was left out of your "Quote." When listening to the interview you can clearly make out the fact that he stated "...Middle income is $200-$250k and LESS"

The word less is very important and sometimes selective hearing can play tricks with our minds. Remember..... Nothing could ever be as bad as four more years of tyrannical legislative rule.

NObama 2012!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MdrnDayWarrior
Nothing could ever be as bad as four more years of tyrannical legislative rule.

What on earth are you talking about?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
He's talking about
Anybody
But
Obama

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

Originally posted by MdrnDayWarrior
Nothing could ever be as bad as four more years of tyrannical legislative rule.

What on earth are you talking about?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SamLuv
Ill make a 10k bet that a family of 4 could live perfectly well on 100k in ANY american city.

How can you expect a snob like Romney to understand REAL money

You could get by just fine for sure, in some areas of Chicago and the suburbs, not all, but not have a whole lot of leftovers...figure a good 30% of that is gone in social security, fed tax, state tax, county tax, village tax, sales tax, excise tax, then another 10% is gone in property tax, so call it $60k. $20k of that is gone in mortgage or rent, so you're at $40k. Let's figure 1 paid-off car, 1 $20k car financed, there's another $5k gone, down to $35k. Another $5k a year for utilities and cell phones, down to $30k. $5k/year for gas, down to $25k. Eat on a tight budget, another $6j/year, at $19k. $600/month for employee share of health insurance premiums, down to $11,200.

With that $11,200, you can put away $5,000 in savings (much less than one should), and have $6200/year for repairing vehicles, replacing appliances, home upkeep, clothing, entertainment, etc.

Sure, it can be done, and you can be more thrifty, but the above illustrates how $100k/year for a family of 4 is NOT a very comfortable living in an expensive area. Unfortunately, most of the higher paying jobs exist in more expensive areas. If I could do what I do living 5 hours north in the middle of nowhere forest, Wisconsin, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. My in-laws live in UP Michigan. You can buy a nice house for about $15.000, but there are very few jobs which will fetch you more than $40k/year.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Hate to break it to you but they're all out of touch.

If one of their handlers makes sure they know numbers wise that "middle class" is something like $40K-60K that number still means nothing to the politician speaking it. They have no idea what it's like to live on $20K, $30K, even $50K.

Using some out of touch millionaire to justify voting for a different out of touch millionaire is sick.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join