It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes new Stolen Valor Act.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It seems the House has tweaked and refined the law so it should pass Constitutional Muster the next time.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Those who lie about military service or make false claims about receiving military medals with the intent of benefiting from those claims would be committing a crime under legislation passed by the House Wednesday.

The House's 410-3 vote on what is known as the Stolen Valor Act came less than three months after the Supreme Court struck down the original act on the grounds that it violated First Amendment free speech rights.

I'd also note the vote total and the nice sight it makes to occasionally have something both sides can actually agree on.
It's a shame it comes so rarely these days though.

The bill states that those who misrepresent their military service with the intent of receiving something of value would be subject to up to one year in prison. Following the lines of the court ruling, it exempts from punishment those who simply wear military medals or decorations that do not belong to them.
Source

This sounds fair and reasonable to me as a compromise. Personally, I'm very much against anyone wearing medals they didn't earn to present themselves as something they are not. However, there is that free speech thing and to thy own self be true....lol. So, limiting this to where someone misrepresents themselves for tangible gain from the fraud would seem a solid thing to identify and prove. Eh?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

join