It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Behaviour Modification of America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
*Mods, if you feel this belongs in a rant/trash/Pulitzer Prize section, then by all means. . . .

Recent events have brought to mind a disturbing ideation.

Someone burns a Koran and people riot, America apologises, things calm down.

Someone draws Mohammed, people riot, America apologises, things calm down.

Someone makes a video, people riot, America apologises, . . . . . . . .

It brings to mind a Pavlovian Response. People, free people, express themselves (by burning, drawing, filming) and islamic extremists riot and burn and kill, and America apologises.

When is the line going to be crossed? When is America going to be to afraid to express themselves for fear of retaliation?

When are the cowards in DC going to create laws to inhibit OUR freedoms for fear of others in another country?

It appears, at least to me, that islamic extremists are creating an environment where we are afraid to express ourselves.

We are, in a sense, following Sharia Law out of fear of riots and anger.

When are we going to stand up to this?

When are we going to say, "I won't be dictated to, like this!"?

When are we, as a nation, going to say, "Go to hell!" (C. Krauthammer)

I really fear for our nation when we spend more time formulating apologies than finding out who killed Americans.

Thank you for providing me the freedom and forum to express my opinion.

beez

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That's because we're the ones doing all the stupid stuff. Because we're used to having freedom of speech, other countries don't, and then our stuff makes it over there.

Many times, I have said that if we closed all the borders and stopped interacting with other countries, relying completely on our own resources and ready to blast anyone who attempts to enter, the world would see us in a completely different light.

On the other hand, it would also teach us how NOT to interfere in other countries. I understand, all of our political leaders and corporations have major investments overseas, but because of those interests, they have compromised our happiness and security.

We're just pawns. The only people who really matter are the ones who have the brains and resources to play the big game - what I like to call the "game of thrones", because it reminds me a lot of the novel. Just like a game of high-stakes poker: if you don't have the money, the guts, and the skill, don't bother coming to the table. You'll get stomped, taken for all you're worth, and thrown out with the rest of the garbage. If you're lucky.
edit on 14-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

We should be free to do stupid stuff. Freedom isn't extended to only those with IQ's above room temperature.

But OUR freedoms, ALL our freedoms are in jeopardy because of actions by another country, IN another country.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hey Beezzer!

Taking the big picture concept out for a moment...

I choose to try and take the higher road when I can ( Yes, I do readily admit I fail and end up slinging mud too sometimes - but I do try ) not because I'm brainwashed - but because I pride myself on being better than the lowest common denominator. Maybe that's what we are trying, as a nation, to project too. Leading by example and all.

Just a thought.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
America hasn't apologized for the video yet. At least as far as I know.

Nor should we.

It's completely asinine to blame an entire country of roughly 320 million people for the acts of one man.

If I were the President I'd tell the Brotherhood to go screw itself in no uncertain terms.

They are the ones in the wrong here. Not America. Blaming an entire country is nothing more than scapegoating.

And I promise you, if they want a fight they'd be given one.

You do not bow down to extremists garbage. You don't appease them, threats of violence or not. You fight them at every chance you can.

edit on 14-9-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: fixed spelling errors

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by beezzer

Hey Beezzer!

Taking the big picture concept out for a moment...

I choose to try and take the higher road when I can ( Yes, I do readily admit I fail and end up slinging mud too sometimes - but I do try ) not because I'm brainwashed - but because I pride myself on being better than the lowest common denominator. Maybe that's what we are trying, as a nation, to project too. Leading by example and all.

Just a thought.

~Heff

You should be free to take the high road.

I, for example, should be free to take the low.

It's when we are forced to take a road, dictated by the votiliy of others, that our freedoms come into question.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

And how good an example are we setting? If that's our goal, we're not exactly getting a gold star, I think...

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Hillary Clinton has apologised.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Of course you should be free to do whatever you choose, within the confines of law. But, let's say you and I were having beers together one night. If you take the low road? I might laugh or I might try to fight you. Both applicable reactions ( with beer, the fight option is probably a more likely scenario
).

The problem nations have is that their version of bar fights involve countless deaths and possibly nuclear war. Higher stakes means higher standards.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by beezzer

Of course you should be free to do whatever you choose, within the confines of law. But, let's say you and I were having beers together one night. If you take the low road? I might laugh or I might try to fight you. Both applicable reactions ( with beer, the fight option is probably a more likely scenario
).

The problem nations have is that their version of bar fights involve countless deaths and possibly nuclear war. Higher stakes means higher standards.

~Heff

I disagree. In your example, it would be more appropriate if you wanted to express yourself and I threatened you with violence if you did.
Regardless of right or wrong, high or low road, ME limiting your freedoms to express yourself out of fear of MY reaction is what is occuring, just on a larger stage.

I know it's just my contrary nature (my mother always warned me
) but I have an urge to draw several pictures of a religious figure and post them all over the web!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
They don`t want to be judged by the actions of a few wackos and troublemakers within their religion but it`s ok for them to judge an entire nation by the actions of a few wackos and trouble makers in it? That seems childish and hypocritical.
if an insincere apology is all it takes to calm them down and keep them in line then i see nothing wrong with that, it`s certainly cheaper and easier to do that than to crank up our war machine every time these fanatics have a temper tantrum.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I just noticed your thread here concerning being "offended".

Seems somewhat appropriate.
edit on 14-9-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
They don`t want to be judged by the actions of a few wackos and troublemakers within their religion but it`s ok for them to judge an entire nation by the actions of a few wackos and trouble makers in it? That seems childish and hypocritical.
if an insincere apology is all it takes to calm them down and keep them in line then i see nothing wrong with that, it`s certainly cheaper and easier to do that than to crank up our war machine every time these fanatics have a temper tantrum.

If it's just an insincere apology, then I might agree.

And maybe I'm making mountains out of mole hills. But I see a dangerous trend developing.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The people in our country are cutting down others beliefs without thinking of others feelings. This is getting more evident recently than ever before. This is immoral and goes against our right to freedom of religion. Freedom of speech is going to be taken away from us if we keep this up. I can't say I will even care. People are cutting down whole groups of people because they feel they are right and everyone else is wrong. They use lack of scientific proof to shun the beliefs of others. We have freedom of religion in this country, not the freedom to bash others beliefs. This is wrong, lots of the morals of religions are good for mankind's peaceful existence.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

How is this an apology?

Plus Obama's says:

So the United States does not seem to be apologizing.

And nor should it.

We are not responsible for this video. It's just scapegoating.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I will concede, to a degree, that a culture of fearing Islam ( or maybe Crusader guilt ) does come into play. But it's a hard road to walk. For every radical Islamic imam I can source, I can also find a nut job evangelical, here in the US, most with unfathomably large TV viewing audiences, who are just as actively campaigning for the "second coming" and the "end times". The difference really is that the Islamic rhetoric ( as seen in the West at least ) tends to be portrayed as wholly anti Judeo-Christian. In fact it's not. In India, Pakistan, and the Asian nations the attacks are also upon Buddhists, Hindu's, Taoists, etc.

Christian zealotry is really no different, just less earthy. Our zealots just want the entire world to die so that Jesus can resurrect his chosen. But our extremists figure God will do the killing. The Muslims feel it's their job to do it.

Extremism in all forms is bad.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
There is even a smaller microcosm.

From my own point of view, I find myself apologizing to Americans for exercising my freedoms.
Hell I haven't got a chance to apologize to many non-Americans yet.

And yes, I feel like I am being "conditioned" into "getting used to" freedom being a "bad thing".
Which it isn't.

This isn't anything new to us today though.
There is historical precedent and it's as old as civilization itself.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The people in our country are cutting down others beliefs without thinking of others feelings. This is getting more evident recently than ever before. This is immoral and goes against our right to freedom of religion. Freedom of speech is going to be taken away from us if we keep this up. I can't say I will even care. People are cutting down whole groups of people because they feel they are right and everyone else is wrong. They use lack of scientific proof to shun the beliefs of others. We have freedom of religion in this country, not the freedom to bash others beliefs. This is wrong, lots of the morals of religions are good for mankind's peaceful existence.

I may not agree with the contents of the video, but I'll fight for the rights of the people who made it.

I may not agree with the burning of the Koran, but I'll fight for the rights of the person wanting to express themselves.

I don't agree with your post. (
) But I will fight tooth and nail for your rights to express yourself.

What I will not do is have my rights being dictated or inhibited or denied by someone who simply disagrees with me and threatens me until I stop.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
There is even a smaller microcosm.

From my own point of view, I find myself apologizing to Americans for exercising my freedoms.
Hell I haven't got a chance to apologize to many non-Americans yet.

And yes, I feel like I am being "conditioned" into "getting used to" freedom being a "bad thing".
Which it isn't.

This isn't anything new to us today though.
There is historical precedent and it's as old as civilization itself.

How so?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I would agree 100% if this video was all there was to it. There's more to this though..(they already changed the story to Al Qaeda yesterday) I have never in my life dis-trusted the media more than I do now. I don't believe all of this is over a poorly made video, and if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. This is totally insane either way though.
edit on 14-9-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join