It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France to close oldest nuclear plant end-2016

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

France will close its oldest nuclear power plant, Fessenheim, at the end of 2016, President Francois Hollande said on Friday, bringing the closure date forward by a few months.

"The Fessenheim power plant ... will close at the end of 2016, Hollande said, speaking a few days after a steam leak triggered a brief fire alert at Fessenheim, in eastern France, and following another safety alert earlier in the year.

Hollande, addressing an annual environmental conference, also confirmed his goal to cut the share of nuclear power in the country's energy mix to 50 percent by 2025 from 75 percen
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
en.wikipedia.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Japan to close ALL their nuclear power plants
Japan Closes Last Nuclear Plant, Fears Of Summer Energy Crisis
edit on 14-9-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Undoubtedly, lessons have been learned from Fukushima in France.

However, it's a tiny step forward when we compare this to what Japaneses planned to do with their own nuclear plants. They said that it would seek to phase out nuclear power by the end of the 2030s — but only after a longer-than-expected transition that would give power companies decades to recoup their investments and brace for a nonnuclear future. (if not “ trickery with words and numbers,” said Tetsunari Iida, director of the Institute for Sustainable Energy Policies, a research group based in Tokyo. “The zero number might be symbolic politically, but in reality, it holds little meaning.” )

Is the same process possible in US?

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Things start to crumble away and would even happen with free energy equipment.
I don't suppose the French government or Illuminati are going to free energy ever.
There is a backlog of free energy processes and lies that can easily be used and
reversed as if nothing ever happened which is the usual way things go down.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust
Is the same process possible in US?
Arnie Gunderson mentioned one interesting issue in the US, which occurs when the licenses of aging plants expire, and they seek renewal of the license.

In some cases, safety standards have improved since the original licenses were granted. Gunderson suggested it would be a good idea for the license renewal process to include bringing the plant up to the latest safety standards, which I guess sounds logical.

However he says the power companies will fight this and won't want to spend a dime they don't have to when they get the license renewed.

I think there's a reason the licenses expire, which is to address this very type of issue. But it will take many people pressuring regulators to do something if these practices are to change. It's a little scary knowing the reactor is 30 years old, but it's even scarier when they get a license to run it another 30 years which at the end of that it will be 60 years old. I don't think the plants were really designed to last that long, and the older components get, the higher their failure rates become. There will be some attrition in the US but it will be slow I think, due to all the license renewals.

top topics

join