It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do I call myself if I don't believe in religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

They can argue all they want but "Atheist" comes from the Greek, Alpha (A), which is the negative, and Theos (God).

A (negative/no) + Theos (God)

"No God"

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Labels, oh how I hate them. Now let's split some hairs.

You might not follow any particular religion, you may not support any religion, you perhaps aren't a member of any particular religious denomination, but to say you "don't believe in religion" would be a little silly, unless your point is that you don't think religion exists. I don't think that's what you mean.

Now for Part 2

What's the purpose of the exercise? Is it for self reference to determine your individual place in the broad spectrum of what we consider spiritual orientation and relationship with the First Cause, Uncaused?

Or is it for discussion when you speak with other people who identify themselves as a member of a particular religion or religious denomination and you want to respond in kind? Personally in those situations when I hear, "Hi, I'm from over in the next holler and I belong to the Poison Drinkin' Tongue Talkin' Apostolic Firey Branch of the Holy Snake Handlers". I usually just reply, "How lovely for you".

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/14/2012 by yeahright because: Mod tags

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Curiousity to be honest. I didn't create this thread to find like minded people if that's what you're asking. It's just I haven't met many people that can seperate God from religion. It's either all or nothing with most people.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I just say religion isn't part of my life. I don't "do" religion.

Theophobic? How about Areligious?
edit on 9/14/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I just say religion isn't part of my life. I don't "do" religion.

Theophobic.

Lol Theophobic.

I like that

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
reply to post by yeahright

Curiousity to be honest. I didn't create this thread to find like minded people if that's what you're asking. It's just I haven't met many people that can seperate God from religion. It's either all or nothing with most people.

There are a lot of us actually. Belief in God and religious externalism are not mutually exclusive. See the very short video in my sig.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBlood

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well there you go. Personally I wouldn't concern myself with most people. Most people aren't all that bright.

There are plenty of religions that aren't God-centric. Buddhists aren't. Most Unitarians are barely deists.

I think you have the right to call yourself whatever you want. Let them figure it out.

Seriously, this is why I hate labels. It makes it way too easy for someone to drag their preconceived notions about whatever you call yourself into the conversation which are frequently if not generally, pretty wide of the mark.

Happens most commonly with religious or political discussion (are you right or left, conservative or liberal, etc), but can happen just as frequently when you apply any sort of identifying label. Southerner, Packers fan, stamp collector, no matter what you use, it evokes some sort of preconceived notion.

Somebody wants to know about me, let's have the conversation. Then they can figure it out for themselves. If someone isn't interested enough to make the effort to find out, I'm not inclined to make it easy for them to be wrong.

But that's just me. Not really your basic people-person. Which is sort of a label from which you're free to draw conclusions.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/14/2012 by yeahright because: Aaaand... mod tags again. Grrr

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

When people ask me, I say what the army classification gives out for "other".

No Religious Preference.

You might also say non-denominational, and leave it at that.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Thank you all for you kind responses. I guess it doesn't really matter what I call myself in regards to this, I guess I just got sick of people calling me an atheist. Nice to be able to open a thread up and just have a conversation

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I do not believe in religion. Infact, I honestly believe it's religion that is holding us back as a species, but that's not what I wanted to get into. I do believe in a "God" or "gods" (or some being that initated the "big bang") because something created the universe. I say that I don't believe in religion and people call me an atheist, but by definition, I can't be an atheist because I believe in a higher creator. So what do I define myself as? Can religion be seperated from God?

Why be labeled anything? If you need something quick you can tell anyone that asks, just say you don't follow religion, but believe in God.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomten
reply to post by Consequence

This sums it up good:

(External quote about being Agnostic)

And that's what I said. The OP believes in a God and is therefore not Agnostic. The opposite of what you said.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Thank you all for you kind responses. I guess it doesn't really matter what I call myself in regards to this, I guess I just got sick of people calling me an atheist. Nice to be able to open a thread up and just have a conversation

Yeah, u can't be an Atheist because you do have faith in a supreme Creator. If I heard you correctly you said you don't believe said Creator concerns Himself with the daily affairs of man. If you must have a label that would make you a Deist.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth

When people ask me, I say what the army classification gives out for "other".

No Religious Preference.

You might also say non-denominational, and leave it at that.

Generally "non-denominational" is regarded as Christian. I'm non-denominational.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Generally "non-denominational" is regarded as Christian. I'm non-denominational.

I tell people I'm a Protestant Catholic, that usually sets some percentage of people off, lol. Easy way to tell who's paying attention, though.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I do not believe in religion. Infact, I honestly believe it's religion that is holding us back as a species, but that's not what I wanted to get into. I do believe in a "God" or "gods" (or some being that initated the "big bang") because something created the universe. I say that I don't believe in religion and people call me an atheist, but by definition, I can't be an atheist because I believe in a higher creator. So what do I define myself as? Can religion be seperated from God?

Just call yourself more intelligent than most of the planet, especially Jewish and Christians.

All the Abrahamic sourced religion are hyped up non-sense on the gods of Anu theme.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well I'm from a christian family, as is my husband. I know the religion, simply by culture and teaching. It's part of our traditions, a part of me. Of course I honor Christ, even if my view is in a more universal vein. We have Christmas, Easter, etc. I just don't feel it necessary to abstain from reading Buddha's teachings Or the Tibetan Book of the Dead, or mythologies of different regions of the world. My family enjoys making May Poles on May 1st. It's inexpensive, creatively fun, and a reason to get my kids outside. I'm in no way inhibited to see "God" in those teachings also. Because, I do.

I don't believe we are divorced or separate from God or even one another. No matter creed, belief, or color. It is immersed in the fabric of reality. It's everywhere. We are on the Garden and Eden, it's like a halo deck. We humans, make it a heaven or h*ll. Right now, all h*ll has broken loose. I said it in another post, and I'll say it here again, We Are What We WANT.

Peace
Cirque

edit on 14-9-2012 by CirqueDeTruth because: clarify

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Call yourself an individual because that's what you are. There are no labels except the ones you choose for yourself. Everyone's spiritual beliefs are unique. You don't need anyone to tell you what to call yourself. You are "TrueBlood". That's all anyone needs to know!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Well, my question is... Why you would want to place a label on yourself?

But to answer your question, you are religious. Religion has different meaning to different people, but usually, they define the aspects or parts of religion, not religion itself.

What does religion mean?
en.wikipedia.org...

Religion (from O.Fr. religion "religious community," from L. religionem (nom. religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods,"[5] "obligation, the bond between man and the gods"[6]) is derived from the Latin religiō, the ultimate origins of which are obscure

According to the philologist Max Müller, the root of the English word "religion", the Latin religio, was originally used to mean only "reverence for God or the gods, careful pondering of divine things, piety" (which Cicero further derived to mean "diligence").[10]

Technically you are religious for seeking God and what is considered the sacred.

If what I assume is correct, you are not a fan of mainstream organized religion. And I don't like them in general as well. However, it does serve a purpose, and that is to teach the fundamentals of their respective faith. What I don't appreciate is when organized religion tries to usurp God's powers in a sense. What matters is your heart. You can practice dogmatic rituals or other outwardly expressions of faith, but it is a futile exercise when the heart isn't in the right place.

Majority of religions have one thing in common: they are all mankind's views on God. Just as man is imperfect, so will their views be, but the process of learning perfection is an everlasting process. This is something fundamentals can't really teach, and this is where a personal relationship with God and your heart is especially important. This is where Father Himself sent His Son Jesus Christ to show people how to be perfect while in this fleshly part of our lives. Jesus Christ emphasized and showed a personal relationship with God, through him, which in my opinion means to live, be, and see as Jesus would.

If you want to add a specific label, I guess Agnostic would be the best fit
edit on 14-9-2012 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2012 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Well, Easter and Christmas are pagan, not Christian. The first Christians celebrated Passover and Christ was born sometime between 2 and 9 September 2 B.C.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
If you don't believe in religion, then you are called "non-religious". This is a simple question with a simple answer, why didn't anyone say this yet?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join