It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UT bomb threat deadline passed, evac continues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

UT bomb threat deadline passed, evac continues

www.kxan.com

The University of Texas is evacuating all of its buildings due to threats on campus after a caller claiming to be with al-Qaida said he placed bombs all over campus that would go off around 10 a.m. -- which has since passed
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.duluthnewstribune.com
posttrib.suntimes.com

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Things are progressing quite out of control at this point and the infection is spreading from the Middle East to the US mainland.

While this dealine passed, there's still a bunch of rattled nerves out there, what with similar incidents at North Dakota State University and Valparaiso University.

It isn't just across the pond anymore, folks . . .

www.kxan.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

FYI - There are 2 current threads already.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

When all someone has to do is get a disposable cell phone and make one call to cause this level of disruption, it's a wonder it doesn't happen all the time.

Unfortunately, the more hoaxes happen, the more lax people will get, and then when the bombs are real, they will do more damage in a desensitized environment.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I live in Dallas and I just heard on the radio that the threat at UT is over and classes are resuming....It was a bogus threat.

Fortunately nobody was hurt. Now the kids still have to go to class today!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Whatever happend to land of the free home of the brave? All I see is a bunch of cowards that happily hand over their rights for a false sense of security. Whatever happend to the brave men and women that built this country? This is really sad.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
A while ago, up here near Detroit, we were getting quite a few bomb threats at the Ambassador Bridge and one at the tunnel that links Windsor and Detroit.

They were all determined to be bogus, but disruptive as anything.

And, with the last one at the bridge, they didn't even bother shutting the bridge down to check it out. They let traffic go while they did their inspection.

Crazy . . . but it lends credibility to what the poster stated above . . . the more of these you hear, the more lax everyone gets when such threats are made.

You've gotta wonder if that isn't part of the plan . . . lull them into a false sense of security and then hit them when it appears they've lost interest.

Just sayin' . . ..

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
Whatever happend to land of the free home of the brave? All I see is a bunch of cowards that happily hand over their rights for a false sense of security. Whatever happend to the brave men and women that built this country? This is really sad.

Huh?

You think if someone phones in a bomb threat it should just be ignored?

I don't understand what your point is, regarding these incidents today.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Huh?

Of course it shouldn't be ignored, but it also shouldn't be national media. Anyone with a phone can call in a threat. The point is people honestly believe that there is a boogyman around every corner.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

A research facility at the University of Texas in Austin that houses an active nuclear reactor has been evacuated after a man with a middle eastern accent claiming to be a member of Al-Qaeda warned authorities the campus had been booby-trapped with explosives.

Source

Even if it is a hoax, an interesting choice of places to do it at . . . again . . . that false sense of Oh, it's nothing, just go about your day.

YIKES!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Huh?

Of course it shouldn't be ignored, but it also shouldn't be national media. Anyone with a phone can call in a threat. The point is people honestly believe that there is a boogyman around every corner.

That was kind of my point, and that the end result may well be a tragedy as a result of "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

On the other hand, if the national media made a point of NOT reporting this stuff, how many would stand up and start yelling that the truth is being hidden from the people? And they'd have a pretty good point, too.

It's a bit of a no-win situation, including prevention -- the only way that these people will be caught is to rely on their stupidity (calling in a threat from their house or something) or by tighter intrusions into personal privacy, and who wants that?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Huh?

That is part of their strategy. Get people afraid of the boogey man. If the people believe there's a terrorist around every corner, they will be willing to give up more rights to be "secure", so the noose grows tighter.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Jihadists don't call before the explosion, they call after.

But I understand they have to check it out.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This situation was posted earlier here:

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join