It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Viruses Are Ancient Living Organisms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I found this to be a fascinating read. I thought I'd post it here to read others perspectives on this possibility. I'm no expert on the topic but thought if this is true then the implications would be fairly drastic and could open a whole other angle on life here on earth and possibly on other worlds.

Considering the nature of Viruses to survive, we may need to rethink about the requirements for life elsewhere.....
edit on 14-9-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

My main problem with the actual reality of life on other planets, does not lie with LIFE on other planets but with INTELLIGENT life on other planets. While life has been evolving on earth for hundreds of millions of years, billions of species have sprung up and only one of them is intelligent enough to get off the planet (and not very far off, for that matter). We are also a gas breathing organism - intelligent life may very well exist elsewhere but only be a water breathing organism which makes the issue doubly complex - as gas breathers we can travel into the vacuum of space pretty well, but can barely figure anything out about our own oceans.

The idea of intelligent life on other planets is really 'out-there,' fun to think about, but probably not very likely at all, giant viruses or not.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
thats a complete lie! al gore wasnt even born yet so how could virus be ancient beings when the internet wasnt even created yet!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Just wanted to say many people here are confusing Virus and Parasite.

All parasites are not viruses, but all viruses are parasites. They need a host in order to complete their life-cycle and reproduce.

Actually, some viruses can be more like symbiotes than parasites. Remember, a parasite is something that gives nothing back. For example, a bacterial virus may give the host resistance genes to specific antibiotics

edit on 17-9-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join