It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guatemalan family uncovers ancient Mayan murals......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Guatemalan family uncovers ancient Mayan murals on their kitchen walls during home renovation

"It's unlikely to be just Joe Schmo's house — it's probably an important person's house," Saturno said, explaining the home likely boasts a storied history.

The clock is ticking for archeologists to decipher the meaning behind the paintings since they have already begun to fade from exposure. But Saturno says it's astounding the murals even survived in the first place.

"We don't get a lot of this type of artwork; it's not commonly preserved in the New World," he explained.

The Mayan civilization, spanning from about 2000 B.C. to A.D. 250, gave rise to a series of cities in Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala and western El Salvador.

I thought this was pretty cool. I cant wait for higher quality images to be released. From the ones presented in the article they appear to be fairly detailed. I hope they are some how preserved without the family being displaced and if they are some how then I hope they get some sort of compensation.

Also, I wonder if any other homes or locations in the surrounding neighborhood could also be hiding more?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nice,
Are the figures on the mural wearing shoes?
www.fashionencyclopedia.com...
edit on 113030p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Apparently.

From the article.....

One of the Mesoamerican murals depicts a procession of colorful figures clad in a mix of traditional Maya and Spanish dress, with some figures possibly holding human hearts in their hands, archaeologist Jaroslaw Zralka told the magazine.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Good find.

I can only imagine the look in their eyes when they saw what was behind the paint. Makes me wonder why someone would paint over it in the first place.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

i can see they dressed in there sunday best for the photo op, nice find again s f

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
and theres me with a poster of jayz in my living room....lololololol

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Yeah thats jayz....

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Great find. Oh, the people who found the painting deserve some credit too
I like the details however it cannot be from the time of Mayan empire. You can see someone with a hand on a rapier-type sword.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Some Mayan cities retained their independence up to 1697. There was a mixing of the cultures during the time between the conquest and final squashing of Maya

top topics

join