Children are banned from eating Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches at school

page: 14
14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

log in

join

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I can see the against side here to a certain degree. Some of it doesn't make sense. I worked with heinz in Au who had a strict Peanut policy which pretty much banned anyone bringing peanut products into the workplace whether it be peanut butter, fruit n nut choc etc.. One thing that made me laugh one day was when I went to the vending machine to grab a quick snack.. I got a shock when I seen a snickers bar sitting there ready to be opened up and consumed considering the company had a "strict" policy when it come to those products.




posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982
 

sorry friend,. But PB and sugary preserves are not healthy,.
and as for "THE BREAD"
nearly all breads in the market today contain Soy,. which is bad for you Read UP and search Monsanto
and the wheat that is used in most bread meal is soooo modified from the original seed
so it resists "EVERYTHING" that the body really doesnt even recognize it as food. READ UP on new drugs now approved for those with belly fat.
Milk has vitamins also.. will you tell me that is good for you?
No ITS Not either.. all fortified.. chemical laden garbage.. READ UP
You see,. there is a big reason why soo many kids today are developing peanut allergies and allergies in general is part of it is due to the mass modification of the Foods you are all fed...
edit on 18-9-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I am shocked that this is news, really.
Ontario has had a peanut butter / nut ban in schools for well over 20 years.

As inconvenient as it is, I don't think I could live with myself if I inadvertantly caused the death of a child.
Check out online kid lunch ideas. There are plenty of healthy lunch items that kids love that don't require peanut butter such as bagels with cream cheese, kraft dinner, fajitas, waffle or pancake 'sandwiches' fruit bowls, cottage cheese.



posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TempleCat
 


Not everyone has a ban on nudity...my 20 year old daughter was just interviewed on the street in Toronto by a nude woman yesterday
Topless is legal in Ontario.



posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catatonic
reply to post by TempleCat
 


Not everyone has a ban on nudity...my 20 year old daughter was just interviewed on the street in Toronto by a nude woman yesterday
Topless is legal in Ontario.


I did think about all the nude beaches and other places in the world where nudity is allowed in public.
But I was mostly thinking of the US since the school in question is there.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982
 


Your comparing things that are completely incompatible, Only an idiot would make points like that about children's safety, Of course I'm going to stand up for something that affects my everyday life and the fact that only 10 people die a year proves that people are starting to get a grasp of how serious it is, I can't honestly understand that a father could be so dim minded about something that does in turn affect peoples life's. I mean why do anything right? why bother to comply with a little rule that could save someone's life, and the fact that only 10 people die proves that the people with the allergies are being cautious, and with a little more help from people like you maybe that could decrease.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982
 


Did you have a bad playground episode or something..



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy
 


I make my own homemade peanut butter. Being in the south, green peanuts are for sale in the local grocery stores because folks like boiled peanuts 'round these parts (blech!), so I just roast them myself with coconut oil and then blend them up with a bit of stevia or honey to sweeten it. You haven't had peanut butter until you've had REAL peanut butter. YUM! And all it takes is some peanuts, a blender and about 5 minutes to make it.

Since it's the only kind of sandwich my son eats, I try to make it a bit healthier for him. He loves it. I also use pure fruit preserves to cut out corn syrup and added sugar. I do buy white bread which is crap, yes I know, but when you have a picky child, you do the best you can to appease them while keeping them as healthy as you can. If I send him to school with money to get school lunch, he'll only pick a banana and a chocolate milk, so sending him to school with what he likes is the best way to make sure he eats during the day.

I completely understand where the ban-the-peanuts folks are coming from but I still stick to my stance that; A, if your child is so allergic to them they have a reaction simply by being in the same room, maybe you need to keep your child home. I certainly would!!; and B, if they're not that allergic, my child eating a PB&J isn't going to affect them unless he somehow gets it in their mouth. Proper education about allergies and hand-washing on all the kids' parts will prevent this.

Since my original reply in this thread, I did some searching about the ban on community snacks in my school. They don't allow anything with peanuts in it or that could have been made in a place that also makes things with peanuts. I can't make something and bring it in because it might have touched a peanut in the process of me making it. LOL Whatever. I was fine with that but guess what's on the "approved" snack list? Chips Ahoy. Who also make Nutter Butter cookies and just today, I saw some Chips Ahoy with Reece's Peanut Butter Cups in them. Hmmm....so they place this ban for what? Not to save kids' lives but to appease a parent of a kid with allergies. Obviously, Mom and Dad are stupid or they would have caught that potentially deadly mistake.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982
 


Peanut allergies are on the increase. It is a potential killer.. Would you be happy if another child was bringing something to a school that could kill your child. They are children and children do not always understand there action.. The kids need to be looked after it is the schools responsibility.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused
 
well hey if your really making your own,. thats awesome,.
most dont got to that length and use the government standard of processed junk,.And standard meaning anything approved by the USDA and FDA.
I hope your using your own Non-GMO wheat bread.. Please research that, it matters.



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe
 



Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Mold seems to be much more of an issue with people than it used to be.


ALL allergies are much more of an issue than they used to be. Our toxic environment is ruining our bodies' natural defenses. Food intolerance is but one of the growing number of "allergies".



I wonder what will happen when we become "allergic" to the air we breath?! Trouble...



posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by James1982
 


Peanut allergies are on the increase. It is a potential killer.. Would you be happy if another child was bringing something to a school that could kill your child. They are children and children do not always understand there action.. The kids need to be looked after it is the schools responsibility.



Forgive me, but you make it sound like a dreaded disease, (lung cancer on the increase)....cigarettes al la potential killer. Puhlease, It's the parents' responsibility....how about home schooling?



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCSQUARED1
reply to post by James1982
 


Did you have a bad playground episode or something..
Nah, he's just being real.
The numbers for playground-caused deaths have been posted in this thread. Compare them to all food allergy deaths combined.

Playgrounds should be banned before peanuts are.



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy
 


Dude come on now, This is beyond a joke you can't really compare those things, I mean you could to something else that does induce an allergic reaction like another food or even a chemical but to compare it to playground related deaths is silly in my opinion. I mean we could introduce lots of measures but where would it stop? I can see other peoples points about why so much fuss over this issue and not others, I'm sure if you look at a standard play ground there is padding on the floor, or wood chip or some other precautions to protect the kids playing and that is after all the only thing this school is doing trying to prevent a threat by a kid falling whilst playing or preventing someone having an attack through banning food products, Its all for the better though.

That other guy has got his facts wrong in the UK there are around 20-30 deaths per year so I'm sure around the world there will be a lot more than previously stated, And also the amount of people that could die without knowing they have the allergy could affect the over all number I.e kids and people in poorer countries or places like china where nuts are in a lot of the dishes.



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCSQUARED1
reply to post by butcherguy
 


Dude come on now, This is beyond a joke you can't really compare those things, I mean you could to something else that does induce an allergic reaction like another food or even a chemical but to compare it to playground related deaths is silly in my opinion. I mean we could introduce lots of measures but where would it stop? I can see other peoples points about why so much fuss over this issue and not others, I'm sure if you look at a standard play ground there is padding on the floor, or wood chip or some other precautions to protect the kids playing and that is after all the only thing this school is doing trying to prevent a threat by a kid falling whilst playing or preventing someone having an attack through banning food products, Its all for the better though.

That other guy has got his facts wrong in the UK there are around 20-30 deaths per year so I'm sure around the world there will be a lot more than previously stated, And also the amount of people that could die without knowing they have the allergy could affect the over all number I.e kids and people in poorer countries or places like china where nuts are in a lot of the dishes.

"Dude".....
I most certainly am comparing them.

A very minuscule percentage of children in a public school are allergic to peanuts.

Every non handicapped child is susceptible to playground injuries. School districts intentionally put playgrounds at schools. That's like putting tables full of peanuts inside the entrances of schools.

Am I asking that schools do away with playgrounds? Absolutely not.

What I would like is if people would look at the problem as what it is.... A very small percentage of children are allergic to peanuts. Peanuts are found in the public domain. These schools that we are talking about are PUBLIC schools. The children and their parents need to deal with their children's problem at the school the same way deal with it in the rest of the world outside their homes.

Do you mean to tell me that these children are restricted to their homes and schools? Have they never visited a supermarket? A circus? A baseball game? A movie theater? I have breaking news.... Peanuts are found in all those places.



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MCSQUARED1
 

Oh, BTW.

The elementary school that my son and daughter attend had the playground shut down for two weeks this month because a boy broke his arm on the monkey bars. It is a 'safe' playground, no wood chips that might cause a splinter. It has a padded rubber surface under all the equipment. Engineered to avoid injuries. That failed to prevent this boy from breaking his arm.

edit on 23-9-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe
 

I don't think allergies and mold are specifically related(?), but Aflatoxin is one of the molds.

Most peanuts are ok, as well as grains and rices. But sometimes Aflatoxin gets in them.

1. For rices, rinse beforehand and (if available) cook in a hot(ish) pressure cooker.
(brown rices tend to have more of the mold, I think, but all rices can have it i think)
2. Avoid dark colored oats.
(this is just what I've read, you may want to look yourself)

Those're the rules I use.

Throw away the (shelled) peanuts with the bad/moldy/broken shells.

It's linked to liver cancer in animals. Translation: liver inflammation ~ cancer. I forget how it works, but somehow the mold causes inflammation. And, ofc, inflammation is linked to cancer.

Almonds are better protected I think from it because they're not in the soil and have better shells.
edit on 23-9-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy
 


That's a valid point about the other places having nuts but in my opinion if one is ready to be aware of there surroundings and aware of the dangers then they can be more alert and cautious of the said danger. Everyone has accidents as kids but you can't go round blaming everyone and banning things, whatever precautions people can put into place are for the better, like the rubber flooring you mentioned it might of been worse for the unfortunate kid if the flooring wasn't put in place, but it wouldn't do any good banning the play ground It's a bit of give and take with these things



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by MCSQUARED1
 

Oh, BTW.

The elementary school that my son and daughter attend had the playground shut down for two weeks this month because a boy broke his arm on the monkey bars. It is a 'safe' playground, no wood chips that might cause a splinter. It has a padded rubber surface under all the equipment. Engineered to avoid injuries. That failed to prevent this boy from breaking his arm.


My daughter's friend also broke her arm in a fall from the monkey bars. Frankly, these never seemed too safe for me, for the kids (I was into sports when I was young, so I think I'm being objective here). If you fall from that height and try to arrest your fall with an arm... Well there is the evidence.



posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
There is no such thing as healthy food. Healthy food is a lie that the health food corporations want people to believe so they can make billions of dollars on gullible people.





new topics
top topics
 
14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

log in

join