It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children are banned from eating Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches at school

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I think technically you would be a domestic terrorist.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Dude this stuff isn't stupid, I've got a life threatening nut allergy and even the smell makes me feel ill, Kids go round touching and playing and the chance of contamination is quite high, They banned peanuts and nuts in school for me back in the late 90's, The bottom line is this # is serious for some that's why all need to take precautions. would you feel the same if it were one of your kids? The sad thing is people don't realise these things till they have to walk down that route, me included

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
you think its hilarious? your a punk how can you be so small minded, and its definitely not silly when your talking about peoples lives

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Your f**king joking aren't you? The idea is to not put people at risk of being exposed in case they do have an allergic reaction to peanuts. Most people do not know they have an allergic reaction also. In some cases it has happened and they have now been banned in large corporations and also in schools in Australia. This is old news to us here btw.

Why is it that when something like this comes out is has to be some rich or powerful person dictating to the masses or some crap? People are allergic to Milk, other food products so why would it be any different with peanuts? We learn about this issue when we do an induction for a job in Australia because it is something that can possibly save lives by following a simple policy whether it is in the workplace or at a school.

About banning it, why don't we just ban dairy products and other foods which are linked to allergies also? Its the same with peanuts. Not everyone will have a reaction, unfortunetly when someone does, it can be very serious.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Originally posted by James1982
Could you please answer the question I've been asking over and over? Do you think that people should be banned from eating any peanut products in their own home if they have school aged children?

No - why should you be? It's your home, your children and if any school friends come round, it's their duty to inform you of their allergy and take appropriate precautions : ie, you to remove peanut products from your home (fat chance as you're self centred) or they simply do not come round.

Your still not getting it.

Your whole argument is that the very very small number of people with extremely severe peanut allergies can be affected by the mere smell or a small particle.

But with these people, banning peanuts from schools will NOT solve the problem. People can STILL bring contamination in from home. They can eat peanut products at home, and come to school smelling like them, or come to school with small particles. Because of this, the peanut ban is WORTHLESS in helping out the kids with severe allergies.

Because of this, the ONLY way to help these kids with severe allergies is to TOTALLY ban peanuts. Because just banning them at school will NOT help.

The school ban will potentially help the students with less severe allergies because it will lower their chance to trade food for something with peanut products in it, or touch some peanut products on the table, or other ways to get contaminated.

But, these students with less severe allergies could be helped WITHOUT a ban on peanut products. Simply have a separate classroom that kids with allergies can go eat in. There, solves the problem, and with no overbearing rules that effect everybody.

That's why I don't support this ban. Because the issues I just covered show how it's USELESS. It doesn't accomplish what it sets out to do (keep kids safe) and only accomplishes limiting the majority's rights. The amount of safety that this ban provides could EASILY be provided by alternative means (the separate classroom idea)

I'm not against the idea of trying to keep kids with peanut allergies safe. I'm against overbearing rules that don't even accomplish what they set out to do, and also negatively affect other people. We can keep kids safe WITHOUT an overall ban, so why support the overall ban?

I find it highly hypocritical you call ME self centered. It's laughable coming from you. Websters defines being self-centered as:

concerned solely with one's own desires, needs, or interests

By definition you are the self centered one, not me. I don't even like peanut products, I don't have kids in school, I don't even have kids at all. So it's literally impossible for my opinion on this peanut ban to be self centered, because I don't even have a dog in the fight at all. Whatever they decide about peanuts at school the effect is has on ME is ZERO.

Your in fact being self centered though. Just because your kid has allergies you think everybody else should have to cater to you. I wasn't going to come out and say it in the first place as I feel it's rude, but since you call ME self centered when you're the one who, by definition, is being self centered, I felt it needed to be said.

Originally posted by noonebutme

Is your right to eat peanut products at your HOME more important than the lives of children? No? Then why don't you support banning any peanut products all together, make it illegal for the whole country to posses anything containing any peanut products? Does that seem extreme to you? Does it seem like it's going too far? Well that's how I, and other people feel about banning them from schools.

Well, now you've gone full retard, showing your complete lack of understanding. I'm not asking you to stop eating peanuts at home. I'm simply saying, a) respect the fact that not all children are born as perfect as your little darlings and b) be considerate as your children are ATTENDING A PUBLIC INSTITUTION. That's all.

You seem to want to lord your apparent superior compassion over my head...blah blah blah...

Look, i personally don't care what you really do, I live in the UK where it's understood the severity of peanut allergies, and not America where ANY attempt at civil understanding results in you lot throwing your toys out of the pram and shouting "my rights, my rights are being infringed!"
edit on 16-9-2012 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2012 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

Well, there you go again hurling insults. Not only calling me a retard but insulting my country as well. Are you truly incapable of debating a subject without resorting to such insults?

I'm WELL aware you're not suggesting that we ban peanuts from people's homes. I'm saying that the logic you use for banning peanut products from schools is that a person's right to eat peanuts is not as important as the safety of children with allergies.

This same logic also could be applied to banning them from home. Is a person's right to eat peanut products in their home more important than the safety of a child? Obviously not, so then why NOT ban peanuts from people's homes too?

I don't have any "little darlings" and the idea that people are born different is a pretty obvious concept, I don't think anybody needs education on that, thank you.

Overall my basic point is that banning peanut products from schools accomplishes nothing that couldn't also be accomplished by a more logical and less extreme approach, such as a different eating area for allergy sufferers. But until people get over this silly knee jerk reaction to go around banning anything and everything that could be potentially dangerous or offensive to a few people I don't think such logical approaches will ever be taken.
edit on 17-9-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Overall my basic point is that banning peanut products from schools accomplishes nothing that couldn't also be accomplished by a more logical and less extreme approach, such as a different eating area for allergy sufferers.

So this almost sounds as though you're advocating the government get into the homes now, doing home inspections and letting them have the power to get rid of the peanut stuff for some allergic people can be safe.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
well, PB and J has no REAL nutritional value anyway just HFCs and cottonseed or palm oil. and the bread is crap also.. read up people.. your kids are the most important investment you will ever have.. feed them real food.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCSQUARED1
Dude this stuff isn't stupid, I've got a life threatening nut allergy and even the smell makes me feel ill, Kids go round touching and playing and the chance of contamination is quite high, They banned peanuts and nuts in school for me back in the late 90's, The bottom line is this # is serious for some that's why all need to take precautions. would you feel the same if it were one of your kids? The sad thing is people don't realise these things till they have to walk down that route, me included

No, I wouldn't feel any different if it was my child, because I'm looking at this logically, not emotionally.

If the smell of nuts make you ill, then banning them from a school won't accomplish anything. Someone could eat nuts at HOME, and come to school still smelling of nuts or have nut particles on them. You'll still be at risk.

Have a classroom that kids with food allergies can eat lunch in, this would be a 'safe zone" so there is no way for them to accidentally eat nut products. There is a chance some kid could have nut particles on his body or smell of nuts, but that doesn't make any difference, because this EXACT SAME threat still exists even with a total nut ban, because someone could eat nuts at home and bring contamination to school with them.

As someone else mentioned, there is only something like 10 deaths per YEAR due to peanut allergies. And that's not at school, that's EVERYWHERE. Out of 350+ MILLION People, TEN people. That's hardly some huge epidemic that requires immediate extreme response.

If the threat of food allergies scares you, then the threat of kids dying on the playground must give you a heart attack out of sheer terror. THOUSANDS of kids die EVERY YEAR from playground equipment. Is there some big push to ban the playground? No? Why not?

I just don't understand the people here making such a massive deal out of food allergies in schools, when play ground equipment kills such a HUGE number of children that by comparison allergy related deaths aren't worth mentioning.

It's obvious that the safety of kids isn't your guy's issue, it's just because YOU or someone you know has allergies that makes you care. Even though allergies don't even kill a fraction of what playground equipment does. Where are the extremely emotional extreme arguments against playground equipment? You should be down for a total ban of equipment, otherwise it's obvious you don't care at all about the safety of children, just that your own pet issue (allergies) gets addressed.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCSQUARED1
you think its hilarious? your a punk how can you be so small minded, and its definitely not silly when your talking about peoples lives

How can some people be so stupid.... it's hilarious that there are TWO STORIES ABOUT PB&J CAUSING ISSUES IN SCHOOLS OVER THE TIME PERIOD OF A FEW WEEKS. Did you even see the context in which i said that? Do you even know what the word "context" means? Did you see the link to the other thread about the "racist PB&J"

Talking about people's lives huh.... how many people? TEN in the WHOLE COUNTRY per year.

Did you see the stats about PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT?

Would you piss and moan about someone saying it's silly to ban playground equipment?

Me: "It's silly that they are trying to ban playground equipment"

You: "leik OMGzors playground equipment kellz so mny pplz how can u say that your a punk lolz"

Jesus people.... get a grip, seriously.

How can you be SO concerned about the VERY VERY VERY FEW people that die from peanut allergies, but say NOTHING about the THOUSANDS that die from playground equipment?

Once again, it shows you are SELFISH and SELF CENTERED.

You do NOT care about the lives or safety of children in general. That is NOT the issue you're upset about. You only care about what affects YOU and YOUR family. If it's something that YOU relate to, or care about because if affects YOU, then you use the typical tool: children.

Yet if you REALLY cared, I mean seriously, honestly cared, because they are children's lives, not just because they are affected by something that you are also affected by, then allergies would be very low on a very long list of issues that affect children.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Your f**king joking aren't you? The idea is to not put people at risk of being exposed in case they do have an allergic reaction to peanuts. Most people do not know they have an allergic reaction also. In some cases it has happened and they have now been banned in large corporations and also in schools in Australia. This is old news to us here btw.

Why is it that when something like this comes out is has to be some rich or powerful person dictating to the masses or some crap? People are allergic to Milk, other food products so why would it be any different with peanuts? We learn about this issue when we do an induction for a job in Australia because it is something that can possibly save lives by following a simple policy whether it is in the workplace or at a school.

About banning it, why don't we just ban dairy products and other foods which are linked to allergies also? Its the same with peanuts. Not everyone will have a reaction, unfortunetly when someone does, it can be very serious.

Who said anything about some rich powerful person dictating anything? Can you read sir? Are you just choosing to inject your own words into other people's posts?

So here is the litmus test of if you actually give a damn:

Do you support banning playgrounds and equipment at schools? They kill many many many many times the children that allergies do (almost none)

If someone asked me if I support banning playgrounds I'd say no, I'd say that's incredibly silly. And I'm sure some faux-do-gooders would complain and moan about how awful I am because I don't support banning playgrounds.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Overall my basic point is that banning peanut products from schools accomplishes nothing that couldn't also be accomplished by a more logical and less extreme approach, such as a different eating area for allergy sufferers.

So this almost sounds as though you're advocating the government get into the homes now, doing home inspections and letting them have the power to get rid of the peanut stuff for some allergic people can be safe.

Are you SERIOUS?

What is wrong with people on ATS?

So, I'm against banning peanuts from schools because it's too overbearing, but I'd support banning them from people's homes? Do you see the lack of continuity there? Would that make any sense at all?

I'm trying to get other people to see it's not a simple issue of "you don't care about kids if you don't support this ban" That's just a simplistic and disingenuous way of looking at it.

Which is why I suggested a total ban. Because the majority of people would think totally banning peanut products is stupid. Just like I think banning them from schools in stupid.

Yet banning peanuts 100% WOULD actually keep kids with peanut allergies safe. Banning them from schools would have very little effect.

But when I say it's silly to ban them from schools I get all these people who think they are morally superior because they want to ban a frickin peanut from schools. I'm so evil because I'm against banning peanuts from schools.

Yet these same people don't support a total 100% peanut ban, why? Because they realize it's overbearing. They realize it's not fair. Yet by THEIR own logic that lives are more important than eating peanuts, they SHOULD support a 100% peanut ban. But they don't.

They don't, and then they call me a horrible evil kid-hater because I don't support banning peanuts from schools.

I hope I'm not the only one who sees how utterly ridiculous this whole thing is. I feel like I'm living in a world full of crazy people.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
well, PB and J has no REAL nutritional value anyway just HFCs and cottonseed or palm oil. and the bread is crap also.. read up people.. your kids are the most important investment you will ever have.. feed them real food.

How wrong you are sir. I think YOU need to read up. Get real peanut butter and real preserves.

Peanut butter is quite good for you.

It's god a lot of protein.

It has NO cholesterol

It has fiber, vitamins B and E

It's got monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats (the good fat, if you don't know)

Using real fruit preserves you are getting everything that's in the fruit. There will be more sugar but it's all about moderation. Don't eat a cup of preserves, use a few tablespoons on your sandwich and your fine.

And "the" bread is crap? What is "the" bread? You are aware you are free to use whatever bread you want when making a sandwich?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The way I see it, there's a lot of things you can't do in public places. For example:

You can't run around naked.
You can't perform lewd acts.
You can't get service with no shirt and no shoes.
You can't shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater.
You can't tug on Superman's cape.
You can't spit into the wind.
You can't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger.
And You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, either.

If you don't like the school restricting certain things from the premises, then home school. Simple as that. They're not telling you your kid can't have whatever he wants to eat at home. Rules are everywhere. While you're on someone else's property you either have to abide by them or choose not to go there anymore. Problem solved. Personal responsibility learned.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TempleCat

True enough.

Performing lewd acts and eating a peanut butter sandwich are not exactly on the same level though.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

My "self centred" attitude comes from the fact that my oldest has a severe peanut allergy. We don't expect YOU to give up your "given right" to eat peanuts. We aren't saying to bow down to our whimsical desires. That would be unfair.

What we're asking is, PLEASE try to be as responsible as possible and THINK of the small percentage of children who do suffer. That's all. If your children go to a public institute of education, then you have to take that into consideration.

And if people can TRY to act responsibly, and think of others, then there's no need for a complete ban. That would be ridiculous. I LOVE peanut butter!! I can only eat it at work - not at home. My partner enjoys it too. We don't want it banned.

Again, you're taking the argument to an extreme to somehow give strength to the "atrocities" of pb being banned from a school. No one is asking for a public ban, no one should ask for a public ban and no one would support a public ban of peanuts - it would be completely unfair. Children are not responsible enough to be that mindful. Adults, however, are.

And yes, I was hurling insults at you as they were/are justified at your ridiculous attitude. Simple as.
edit on 18-9-2012 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I'm sorry, you just weren't very clear.

But yes, this is absolutely ridiculous.

It is also unfair to all students involved.

It is unfair to remove all pb stuff to make just one or two students be safe.

It is unfair to endanger the health and possible life of the students with the allergies.

There are no real easy answers in this one.

But I don't like totalitarian nanny-statism.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
peanuts have been taboo in our schools forever

lighten up people

my nephew has a peanut allergy. it could kill him. this is about keeping kids safe

whats the big deal ?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TempleCat

I miss jim

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Prove it wrong then.. Pretty simple. As for the playground equiptment, yes. Some of the crap they allow 5-6 year olds to play are dangerous and should not be in schools. Even older students get injured because they don't know their limitations.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
peanuts have been taboo in our schools forever

lighten up people

my nephew has a peanut allergy. it could kill him. this is about keeping kids safe

whats the big deal ?

That is the point from my point of view

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join