It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children are banned from eating Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches at school

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ban the peanut butter and breathe the chemtrails. What is next..... banning clothes because of detergent allergies?

I have an idea, how about we ban public brainwashing centers, aka schools.
edit on 15-9-2012 by shamanix2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The no peanuts rule has been going around schools for years now.
I couldn't put peanuts in glad sandwhich bags for snacks.
We shouldn't be told what to feed our kids.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
How hilarious....

Really? Have you met someone with a severe peanut allergy before? Doubt they'd find it "hilarious"...

What is the purpose behind this silly rule?

To help stop children with severe peanut allergies from dying...

If a child is too stupid to get the hint, then maybe it's just survival of the fittest at work.

You're a f-ing moron for that comment. And you obviously a) don't have children and b) have no idea how children behave
You're entire post shows how ignorant of the facts you are and you're either trolling (which, well done, I'm pulled) or you truly are that stupid and have no idea how bad a peanut allergy is.

MY oldest has a peanut allergy. A severe one. She cannot be in the same room as peanuts. She didnt ask for this, we didnt want her to have it, we did nothing different - she simply has it. She has to carry an EpiPen around with her all the time and the school has one as well in case of emergency.

So far we've been very lucky. Thankfully she has never had to deal with the ignorance of someone like you.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

What the heck, guys? People need to leave the poor PB&J alone. I put this in social issues because I feel it is one. It's another perfect example of the extremely poor condition our schools are in right now. The administration spends time on so many things they don't have time to do what we hired them for, to EDUCATE our children!

Did you really just try to blame Obama for this?

Sorry, but schools also have the important duty of protecting our children.....
and peanut allergies are extremely severe. If peanuts get on anything, and the allergic kid touches it, they can breakout and possibly die.

Peanut allergies are sometimes so bad, that the person doesn't actually have to eat the peanut to have a reaction.

Uh.......... WHAT? Where did I say ANYTHING about Obama? Where did I say anything that could even be construed as being related to Obama? Are you so obsessed with the man you can't read a thread without his name popping into your head?

In all seriousness, you need help on reading comprehension if you got any sort of Obama related themes from this thread. There is nothing about Obama here, there isn't even anything about politics in general here.

Is it because I used to word "administration" because you are aware that schools have an administration, right? Maybe not, as for some reason you connected my OP with Obama.

I even said that the Administration is too busy doing other random stuff that they can't do their job to TEACH CHILDREN. I'm talking about the damn school administrators. It's not Obama's job to teach children. It's not the federal government's job to teach children. So what connection did I make with Obama, exactly?

Jesus Christ I can't believe how dense some people are....

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Ironically, I was about to congratulate everyone on an Obama-free thread, and now I see this...

Sheesh.

My toilet paper is bad, Obama is at fault.

Wait, why does Obama want to regulate my toilet paper?

WOW!!

One person some how seeing my OP as having ANYTHING to do with Obama is bad enough, but TWO people? What the hell is going on with the intellect of the human race?

Newsflash for you two, I don't care about Obama. I certainly don't care enough about him to incorporate him into one of my threads.

You guys need to get your heads out of your asses and pay attention, before you accuse people of doing something they aren't. In no way, shape, or form did I mention, refer to, or blame Obama for ANYTHING.

If this is what you bring to ATS please stay the hell out of my threads.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Originally posted by James1982
How hilarious....

Really? Have you met someone with a severe peanut allergy before? Doubt they'd find it "hilarious"...

What is the purpose behind this silly rule?

To help stop children with severe peanut allergies from dying...

If a child is too stupid to get the hint, then maybe it's just survival of the fittest at work.

You're a f-ing moron for that comment. And you obviously a) don't have children and b) have no idea how children behave
You're entire post shows how ignorant of the facts you are and you're either trolling (which, well done, I'm pulled) or you truly are that stupid and have no idea how bad a peanut allergy is.

MY oldest has a peanut allergy. A severe one. She cannot be in the same room as peanuts. She didnt ask for this, we didnt want her to have it, we did nothing different - she simply has it. She has to carry an EpiPen around with her all the time and the school has one as well in case of emergency.

So far we've been very lucky. Thankfully she has never had to deal with the ignorance of someone like you.

Would you like some more straw, or are you already full up?

Please, PLEASE, do not put words into my mouth. Of all the crap here on ATS that puts me in a state of rage like nothing else. If you want to disagree with me about this ban being ridiculous, go ahead. But don't sit there smugly inferring that I find severe food allergies funny. Any half intelligent person would find it easy to realize what I was talking about.

It's pretty obvious to most people that the thing I found hilarious is that in a very short period of time, something as benign as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich has become the cornerstone of a controversy at TWO different schools for TWO different reasons. The other story was about some idiot teacher (from my city unfortunately) that said PB&J was somehow racist. So yes, that's funny to me. I chuckled out loud to myself. With all the things wrong in this world a PB&J sandwich is capable of causing controversy TWICE over the course of a few weeks at two different schools.

And no, for your information, I'm not trolling. I take my time here at ATS seriously and not once have I trolled. My comment about survival of the fittest was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I can't blame you for not getting that, but I can certainly blame you for your straw man you seem so keen to build.

My heart goes out to your child, but because of your attitude I couldn't care less about anything YOU have had to deal with. You aren't anymore "right" or anymore deserving of an opinion on the matter because you have a child with allergies.Obviously nobody chooses to have an allergy, I don't know why you felt the need to point that out. But it's THEIR allergy. If the person with it is a child, then it's their parents responsibility to keep their kid safe and healthy. If the person with an allergy is an adult, it's their responsibility to manage their own issues. It's not the world's responsibility to cater to every single person's unique issues.

If you think about this issue by applying logic instead of emotion (which is obviously the only thing that guides your opinions on the matter) you'd realize banning kids from bringing peanut products into school isn't going to accomplish anything.

If someone's allergy is SO severe that the mere smell of a peanut will cause them problems, it doesn't matter if someone has peanut products at school or at their home.

Think about this. A kid eats peanut products for breakfast. After that he goes to school. He still has peanut products on his mouth. On his breath. Maybe a little on his hands or shirt. He will pose the same danger as someone who simply ate a sandwich at lunch.

Do you have the right to tell all of the kids in your child's school, and all of their parents, and all of the people their parents have visit their house that they cannot eat peanut products in their OWN HOME because it's possible that their child will bring a slight scent of peanut to school with them? Yes? If you think you have the right to dictate the home life of anybody but your own family your off your rocker. If the answer is NO, then why do you think you have the right to dictate what other people eat at school?

Like I said, there are some VERY simple ways to avoid direct contact with peanut products. Have your kid wash his hands. Make it perfectly clear it's a matter of life or death. Tell him not to stick stuff in his mouth. He won't get contaminated with peanut products.

If he has serious issues because of a SMELL than keeping peanuts away from the school won't solve any problem, because like I said kids could still track in peanut odors from home.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by kaylaluv

I'd honestly have to research that ( people bringing peanuts onto planes ). I am not sure about the answer. Unfortunately I had a death in my family yesterday and am being pulled in several different directions today involving wakes, viewings, and funeral arrangements... So I may not get to doing this research for a day or three. My apologies. But I will return with an answer at some point.

~Heff

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss Heff, I wish you and your family the best. I too very recently had a close family member pass away so I know what your going through right now. Stay strong and remember that regardless of your beliefs they are most likely in a better place right now than anybody on Earth.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
reply to post by James1982

There is nothing hilarious, flippant or novel about food allergies. My daughter was allergic to soy, peanuts, tree nuts, melons and it was life threatening.

She went to a large school built one hundred years ago and they ate lunch in the classrooms. I had to go once a month and scrub the desks books and fixtures---alone and single handedly. Bringing peanut butter to school is dangerous because the oils do not wash off easily. They are residual and this is very dangerous to someone with an allergy.

Grow up- it is just as easy to send a cheese, turkey or bologna sandwich as it is peanut butter. But those won't KILL someone.

It's obvious your emotional attachment to this subject is clouding your reading comprehension skills. Please read what I said to "noonebutme" because it applies to you to. If you still don't understand, I'll spell it out again: I never said allergies were hilarious, the fact that PB&J is causing controversies at two separate schools for two different reasons is. I'll take your advice and grow up, but please take your own advice as well. How about you grow up and realize the safety of your children is YOUR responsibility and imposing rules onto others because you refuse to take the initiative shows just about as much immaturity as anything else.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

FTR: I don't agree with overhanded legislation. And many rules now present in public schools are laughable. I am merely advocating for a rule I feel is rational. If we can, as citizens, work out which rules make sense and which are too overbearing in scope, then we can use our voices in voting and PTA meetings to try and find a more even keeled approach to how schools operate.

~Heff

This I would agree with 100%

I never tried to say this ban was violating anybodies constitutional rights or anything like that. It's not the end of the world if people can't eat peanut products at school. I brought up this subject because I personally feel the ban is going too far and is too extreme. Some people agree with me, others don't. But the important part is the discussion and the exchange of ideas, and the attempt at reaching a consensus that is reasonable and acceptable to the most people.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by kaylaluv

I am pleasantly surprised how long this debate has continued but i would like to boil it down to a yes or no question posed to you.

Is your child rights to have a Peanut butter sandwich at school more important then the lives and and welfare of other students who need to go to the same school?

If you answer no, then you understand where i am coming from, if you answer yes well, thats for another thread to debate...

This question wasn't directed at me, so I won't answer it, but I will address the question itself.

Is your right to drive your car to the store, or whatever else you use it for, more important than the lives of all the people that get killed by automobiles?

Is your right to save some time, to make your commute easier, etc etc more important than the lives of those ended by automobile accidents?

Is your right to fly in an airplane more important than the lives lost when they crash?

Is your right to eat junkfood more important than the lives lost when people go overboard and get heart attacks because they refuse to eat healthy?

Is your right to have a convenient way to cut your steak or cut cheese more important than the lives of the people who are stabbed to death?

The answer to all of the above is obviously NO, yet these things are not banned, because people understand that the whole "is XXX more important than people's live" argument is a fallacy. It's not what the subject is even about. It's about the issues of the select few demanding that the overwhelming majority change their lives simply to fit a few people. This whole nut ban thing is the same deal, IMHO

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
OK this will probably make half the people in this thread go nuts. BUt what specifically in peanuts makes these people allergic to them. What exact chemical. Because I really don't understand how people can be allergic to such simple things.

It seems in the last 2o years allergies that never existed in the whole history of mankind are suddenly showing up. Is it because our environment is so hostile and toxic these days. Yeah right go tell that to the cavemen and the rest of humanity that have and are still living in much more decrepit conditions and are eating semi cooked food, bugs, fly larva, mold, bacterially infested food. How come they can get by just fine but here in america every one suddenly has all of these food allergies. Wanna make a bet nobody has all of these food allergies in places like africa where people are starving.

It almost seems like it's a histrionic thing. Everything causes anephalactic shock these days.

Growing up I had a friend who was allergic to chicken. Said he would die if he ate it, his whole throat will swell up and he'll die. Well I've watched him eat chicken before with no negative results. The guy was also allergic to tomatoes yet he loves pizza.

I just don't understand where all of these allergies are sudden;y popping up. Did 1,000,000 years of our human evolution change in 20 years where suddenly half our natural diet we are allergic to. I say half of these allergies are BS. How many other animals have legit allergies to the food they have evolved to eat. or is it just humans. Or just humans living in first world nations.

And yes I've seen people go into anephelactic shock before from legit things like allergic reactions to the neuro chemical in a bee's sting.

Not saying these kids are all making u their allergies or food aversions but it does seem a little disproportional t the population.

edit on 15-9-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

this whole Allergy issue blows me away. I'm in my mid-40's. I cannot, for the life of me, remember 1 single kid in school who was either a) allergic to nuts, b) had asthma or c) was austistic/ADHD What the hell did we do to our society these last 30 years that makes this happen?

We inject all kinds of unnecessary vaccines and immunizations into the child early on. It has been explained to me that by preventing our bodies from priming our own immune system naturally, we alter it's ability and weaken our own natural immune system (good way to create dependency for our health on the pharmaceutical companies too).
Is the cure worse than the disease?

Depriving the developing immune system of naturally occurring infections in childhood may cause the immune system to eventually attack itself, which is what happens in autoimmune diseases like asthma and diabetes.

The Pharmaceutical companies have spent millions into marketing fear and promoting their products. Strongly invested for laws to strongly encourage (strong arm) parents to take these vaccines...directing attention away from the dangers and towards trusting false promises that can not be proven. Any serious unbiased research shows that polio was on a serious decline before the vaccine was even introduced...yet, they claim credit for it's reduction.

Fast forward...What interests me is.... I posted a link to the legislation that brought on this peanut butter ban in school (early on in this thread). I am a little surprised not to see any discussion on the new food police and how deep this legislation goes...... into the cupboards in your home. *shrugs
edit on 15-9-2012 by OldSchoolMom because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2012 by OldSchoolMom because: added text

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Well, you're the one who started out your OP with "hilarious" regarding children and peanut allergies.

And you can rage all you want, not my problem. The fact that you feel so "infringed" upon because children are asked not to eat "peanut butter" show your priorities. A few children who may have a deadly reaction to peanuts should in no way prevent others from enjoying it at a public school.

WTF is wrong with you people?? It's "peanut butter" they are being asked to not bring to school, not a pint of blood or sign their souls away. Christ, THIS is what enrages people?

You'd feel a lot different if it was you that had the allergy, or your children. But you don't. And it's clear you don't give a monkey about anyone else except your "perceived" oppression.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

It's the proteins in the allergen that cause allergic reactions. That's why I don't buy the excuse of being in the same room with a kid eating something with peanuts in it can cause any reaction at all, much less a severe one. The proteins in the food or other allergen has to come in contact with us in some way.

Pollen is present in the air, so we breath in the particles containing the proteins that cause the allergies just by being outside but peanuts? There would have to be peanut dust in the air for that to be possible. Unless a kid eating a PB&J coughs or sneezes with a mouthful of sandwich into the air next to a kid with the allergy, how would peanuts get in the air? Eating at a Logan's Roadhouse or something, where there are peanuts and peanut shells scattered everywhere, I could believe a reaction by breathing that air could be an issue for someone with peanut allergies.

To back that up, I found this article:

Although a small amount of peanut protein can set off a severe reaction, it is rare that people get an allergic reaction just from breathing in small particles of nuts or peanuts. Most foods with peanuts in them don't allow enough of the protein to escape into the air to cause a reaction. And just the smell of foods containing peanuts won't produce a reaction because the scent does not contain the protein. In the few cases when people do react to airborne particles, it's usually in an enclosed area (like a restaurant or bar) where lots of peanuts are being cracked from their shells.

edit on 15-9-2012 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
I just don't understand where all of these allergies are sudden;y popping up. Did 1,000,000 years of our human evolution change in 20 years where suddenly half our natural diet we are allergic to. I say half of these allergies are BS. How many other animals have legit allergies to the food they have evolved to eat. or is it just humans. Or just humans living in first world nations.

They are BS. One study showed up to 80% of these peanut allergies are wrongful diagnosis.

Scientists have developed a new more accurate test for peanut allergy after finding that eight out of ten children who previously tested positive were not in fact allergic to the nut.
link

All this allergy nonsense reeks of the ADHD abuses that have been going on for the last three decades.

Imagine going your whole like avoiding peanuts like grim death only to discover that some asshat using an archaic test simply declared you allergic.

To make matters worse many people cling to what makes them "special." Anything at all that makes them "special." A food allergy will satisfy that sick need.

Botched, primitive tests done by biased and corrupt doctors feeding the fragile egos of schizophrenegic parents to hoist their child into the "special" category for years to come.

150 food allergy deaths annually compounded with the absolute impossibility of removing the dreaded peanut threat for any environment makes all of this nonsense completely pointless.

But it makes the idiots feel safer the "special" people feel oh so "special."

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well said.

That pretty much covers it. There is a culture of needing to be special in the US. WASP's especially. They are not a minority so they stake out their own little minority status where they can, sometimes using their children as a (Munschaussen) proxy.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
I'm not sure how one child eating a peanut butter sandwich will have any effect on a child who's allergic to peanuts unless part of that sandwich gets in the mouth of the kid with allergies.

Projectile vomit could be lethal to an allergy sufferer. Yuk!

Unless children have started bringing flasks of Jack Daniels with their sandwiches, I don't think this is a very big concern in elementary schools.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Stolen from the "Funniest Pic" thread.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Where were these places when I was a kid?

I guess I can't complain, my old man used to pass the jug to me.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It is banned from most schools here in the UK.

Schools have to do risk assessments for everything as a legal requirement, and minimising risks is imperative.

Just as they have to accommodate disabilities of other sorts, they also have to accommodate for other serious conditions or the potential risk of such a condition.

Parents are legally obligated for having children schooled and have the right to ensure their children's safety in doing so.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join