Children are banned from eating Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches at school

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

The school is not just "yet another public place". Kids may or may not be responsible at all times, and are densely packed in class rooms.

Kind of like a movie theater.

Or Chuckie Cheese?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bastet11

I can commiserate, I was allergic to tomatoes,

You are the first person I've come across besides me who was allergic to tomatoes. I also outgrew it, but I would break out in hives down my throat and such it was bad

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
As a smoker (trying to quit), I can only say..

HAHAA!

Ya, ok, so I gotta basically hide in a hole to smoke, peanut butter lovers, keep your filthy habit in your home!

And ya, actually I understand and support the measure..at face value it could be seen as giant nanny state trying to tell your kids not to eat a staplemark food, but that argument gets tossed out of the window when some 9 year old is convulsing on the cafeteria floor because a bully decided to shove peanut butter in the face of him for a laugh.

I would say let them bring in the peanuts at high school and demand they eat it outside in the courtyard..before that, kids are kids and are messy and don't know better. hell, someone deathly allergic to peanut butter may not think twice about accepting a peanut butter cup (yum..hungry now)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm allergic to pollen. All trees should therefore be cut down around the school.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. What is this country coming to ? What do they think is gonna happen, this kid is gonna shove his sandwich in the mouth of some kid thats allergic to peanut butter ? Or some allergenic kid is gonna breath peanut fumes or something ? People in this country has to take a stand somewhere !

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
There has been a peanut butter ban in some schools here in Canada for a number of years now, but they take it one step further... children aren't even allowed to have peanut butter for breakfast AT HOME! So if a child goes to school and the teacher smells peanut butter in his/her breath, they will be sent home. It's really absurd. Why should the majority have to suffer for a genetic anomaly that only the minority has? Maybe kids with this allergy should be homeschooled?

For Christ's sake, just have the allergy kids sit in a separate room during lunchtime, and then make any kids who had peanut butter for lunch wash their hands before class resumes again. Problem solved.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Wow, that's very interesting... :/ I'm used to the parents educating the teachers & their children about their allergies so things like this don't have to happen. In my opinion, I have seen a huge drop in good parenting but still, I don't think that's all that has changed. Lot's of schools don't care like they used to. It's unbelievable. Seriously, what the hell? Can't these schools succeed in educating these children on allergies?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

That's so ridiculous!! So what, are they gonna ban milk for the lactose intolerant children? What about all the other allergies that are known to exist. My fiance is allergic to peanut butter & bees. Are they going to find a way to kill all of the bees as well?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My niece just started first grade. Its crazy to see what schools have become. Theres no peanuts anything allowed a jer school. My neice also had her snack taken away and no replacement given because my sister sent her to school with tapioca pudding. The teacher told her she couldnt have a the snack because it was unhealthy. I'm not saying it is, but that was not her place and my neice was the only child who did not get a snack. The next day, the kids all had apples with carmel to dip them in...whatever.

She basically punished niece for what her mom did.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I love peanut butter - - skip the bread and jelly.

Just give me a spoon! Only my will power keeps me from eating the entire jar!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Sometime in the late 90's suddenly there were new rules and regulations imposed on schools and schoolchildren. One was not sharing lunches at all. You could get into trouble for sharing your lunch, and it wasn't about peanuts, but about Hepatitis B. That's when suddenly the Hep B vaccine became mandatory for 7th graders because it was supposedly spread via food sharing, and we found out later that it is spread through kissing, or that's what the health dept told us. I don't know if the whole deal was really just to promote the Hep B vaccine or what. Later on children were not allowed to bring plastic knives in their lunches due to them beng too dangerous.
So now it's peanuts. Before you know it, no homemade lunches will be allowed.

It seems to me the Nanny State has taken over and instead of real reading writing and arithmetic, the emphasis is on what they are eating at lunch and making sure they didn't bring any plastic knives because goodness knows a third grader is likely to be violent....
edit on 14-9-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It sounds to me that they are worried about a child with a pb and j trading lunches with a child who has the allergy. But, why just peanut butter and jelly? Some children have nut, chocolate, or other food allergies. I myself have been deathly allergic to figs since I was a child. I wonder if this food ban is just for pb and j?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
te]

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
Later on children were not allowed to bring plastic knives in their lunches due to them beng too dangerous.

I think my kids do carry plastic knives to school. I'll need to check. Again, if you did have a kid with a fair chance of a major crisis because of peanuts, maybe you would sound reasonable, or... sane.

It seems to me the Nanny State has taken over

It's been weeks or maybe months, but... I think that anyone who mutters "nanny state" has some major problems. You see, most of you nanny people never traveled to countries where the state bothers to intervene. For real.

link   
te]

Later on children were not allowed to bring plastic knives in their lunches due to them beng too dangerous.

I think my kids do carry plastic knives to school. I'll need to check. Again, if you did have a kid with a fair chance of a major crisis because of peanuts, maybe you would sound reasonable, or... sane.

It's been weeks or maybe months, but... I think that anyone who mutters "nanny state" has some major problems. You see, most of you nanny people never traveled to countries where the state bothers to intervene. For real.

link   
te]

link   
te]

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
This isn't a big deal. Peanuts can kill kids with allergies......

Tons of things are already banned in schools, like cellphones and talking

edit on 15-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
You know what? I have an easier solution. Just dedicate one school within X amount of miles' radius to become a hypoallergenic school. Charge a minor annual tuition to cover sanitation expenses (what parent of allergic kids would balk at that anyway?) That way, all the kids with allergies severe or problematic enough to hamper the normal flow of school life can simply learn in a safe zone school without inconveniencing 500 or 1,000 or more other people. SIMPLE. But nah, never going to happen. Someone's inevitably going to complain that it'll cost too much, or that it singles out the allergenic unfairly, or blah blah blah.

Enough. Just consider it. Give the subset a special restrictive school to be safe in. End of the damn problem.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
DON'T FOCUS ON AND DEBATE THE "GOODNESS" OR "BADNESS" OF "PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES" OR OF "STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM" OR "BACON AND EGGS"!

WAKE UP!

FOCUS INSTEAD ON THE POLITICIANS!

WHO WOULD HAVE YOU VOTING ON THE GOODNESS OR BADNESS OF DOG SH*T AND CAT SH*T!

FOCUS ON GETTING THE POLITICIANS WHO MAKE THOSE STUPID LAWS RUN OUT OF OFFICE!

PURPOSELY SEND YOUR CHILD TO SCHOOL WITH PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICHES AND PULL YOUR CHILDREN OUT OF ALL SCHOOLS WHERE SUCH SANDWICHES ARE BANNED!

THROW OUT OF JOBS ALL TEACHERS AND POLITICIANS AND PRESS WHO SUPPORT THE BANNING!

ALL SUCH POLITICIANS ARE INTERESTED IN MAKING MILLIONS OF SUCH "BOGUS" LAWS TO DAILY GIVE THEMSELVES MORE AND MORE FALSE MONEY AND POWER WHILE GRINDING YOU DOWN AND INTO DUST IN THE PROCESS!

YOU ARE YOUR OWN BOSS AND NOONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH YOUR LIFE AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HURT OTHERS.

P.S. OBVIOUSLY YOU WOULD RESEARCH AND ONLY GIVE YOUR CHILD NUTRITIOUS FOOD IN THE FIRST PLACE - AND ONLY IF WERE NOT MEDICALLY ALLERGIC - AND IF THEY DID ENJOY IT.
edit on 15-9-2012 by neotech1neothink because: edit

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
I'm not sure how one child eating a peanut butter sandwich will have any effect on a child who's allergic to peanuts unless part of that sandwich gets in the mouth of the kid with allergies.

Projectile vomit could be lethal to an allergy sufferer. Yuk!

new topics
top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join