Strange Stories of Coincidence...........

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
Several years ago I was compiling information about my ancestors to make a book for family members. I had most everything I needed, except I didn't have any pictures of my great-great-great grandfather and his family.

So a few weeks later I went to a local fall festival. While there a lady comes up to me and we start talking. She turned out to be a distant cousin. As we talked I mentioned the book I was writing, and she said she had the pictures I was looking for, and she would mail copies to me when she went back home.
She lived out of state, and just happened to be in for a visit, and came to the festival.
The odds of us running into one another at this festival, and her having what I had been searching for goes beyond coincidence! I don't believe in coincidence. Things happen because our spirit guides arrange them to happen when they are meant to be.

After starting the book, another family member suggested I don't just write it for family members, but also sell it to the public. So I decided I would do that.
I had 1300 copies printed up, and sold out in about 2.5 years! I could have sold more, but didn't have the finances to have more printed. Independent publishing is very expensive!

Apparently, this book was meant to be. It told of a time when life was simpler (in some ways) and people took care of their neighbors, the struggles and hardships of living through the depression, and the love of family that carried them through it.
I think the message in the book was something people needed to read to find inspiration for their own lives.
I received many, many letters thanking me for writing such an inspiring true story to share with others, and usually had repeat orders from people all over the U.S. to give as gifts to their family members.

Enjoying the thread, OP! S&F
edit on 9/14/2012 by sled735 because: addition to comment

Hi sled735,

I don't know if this is of any interest to you, but I thought if you wanted to continue to get more issues of your book published you could use this website called Lulu. On Lulu you can write and publish your book for free, set a price you want to sell it for, then advertise it, people can then buy it and you get to keep the profit. There is also an option to make the book available as an ebook.......here is the website anyway...........

www.lulu.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Thanks, Dave.
I have my book in e-book format already on CDs. I just want to make my own website to sell it. Finding the time to do this is my biggest problem right now. I don't want to give any rights to another seller, like Amazon, but I'll look at the link you sent. Thanks! I haven't heard of this site. It may work out.

Now, wouldn't that be a coincidence?! ( I don't believe in coincidence.) Ha!
Coming here, mentioning my book, and you giving me the information I need to continue selling it the way I want to?
edit on 9/17/2012 by sled735 because: addition to comment

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735
reply to post by davethebear

Thanks, Dave.
I have my book in e-book format already on CDs. I just want to make my own website to sell it. Finding the time to do this is my biggest problem right now. I don't want to give any rights to another seller, like Amazon, but I'll look at the link you sent. Thanks! I haven't heard of this site. It may work out.

Now, wouldn't that be a coincidence?! ( I don't believe in coincidence.) Ha!
Coming here, mentioning my book, and you giving me the information I need to continue selling it the way I want to?

Yeah, wow, what a coincidence........................who would have thought.....haha.............cheers

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Mine isn't so great, but I figured I should dump it anyways, as I enjoyed reading the other stories in this thread. Here's my obligatory contribution.

My father grew up on the Isle of Man, a small island in the UK right between Ireland and England. When he was very young he knew a family (two brothers and a sister) from Ireland who would vacation on the Isle of Man for a few months every summer. He saw them around his village every summer without fail for years and played with them all the time. Unfortunately, one October when they were back home in Ireland, she was walking to school and got caught in the middle of an IRA shootout and was killed instantly (gunshot wound to the head.) She was only twelve.

Fast forward a few decades later, my father moves to Canada in 1976. He finds work, and soon finds a band to play in to have fun and make some extra money on the side. One day in 1982 he's playing in a pub and the band goes on break, he's just on his way down to the bar to have a cigarette and a drink when he sees some guy on the other side of the room pointing at him and shouting "Hey you! I know you from somewhere!" then starts to walk towards him which is when my father realized that it was one of the brothers from that family that he hadn't seen since he was a kid. Turns out he was a comedian on tour all over North America, and just by chance, happened to be in that pub in this city on the same night my father was playing there.

Small world, huh?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Well, my novels are more inclined to sic-fi. I was deeply inspired by Asimov but also by psychology and all that. Too bad it's in French, none of you guys could read it. And my job kind of put a stop to it...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
Mine isn't so great, but I figured I should dump it anyways, as I enjoyed reading the other stories in this thread. Here's my obligatory contribution.

My father grew up on the Isle of Man, a small island in the UK right between Ireland and England. When he was very young he knew a family (two brothers and a sister) from Ireland who would vacation on the Isle of Man for a few months every summer. He saw them around his village every summer without fail for years and played with them all the time. Unfortunately, one October when they were back home in Ireland, she was walking to school and got caught in the middle of an IRA shootout and was killed instantly (gunshot wound to the head.) She was only twelve.

Fast forward a few decades later, my father moves to Canada in 1976. He finds work, and soon finds a band to play in to have fun and make some extra money on the side. One day in 1982 he's playing in a pub and the band goes on break, he's just on his way down to the bar to have a cigarette and a drink when he sees some guy on the other side of the room pointing at him and shouting "Hey you! I know you from somewhere!" then starts to walk towards him which is when my father realized that it was one of the brothers from that family that he hadn't seen since he was a kid. Turns out he was a comedian on tour all over North America, and just by chance, happened to be in that pub in this city on the same night my father was playing there.

Small world, huh?

Wow, what a great story of coincidence, weird how things happen over time.......that made a few hairs on the back of my neck stand up......cheers for sharing....

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
If you've heard the song "Tears in Heaven" by Clapton you may know the background story. His son had fallen off of a balcony from their apartment while Clapton was on tour I believe. He wrote the song for his son.

The crazy part is, the very day his son had died, he had written a letter and drawn a picture for Clapton and sent it to him.
The letter from his son arrived in the mail on the exact day of his son's funeral.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chickensalad
If you've heard the song "Tears in Heaven" by Clapton you may know the background story. His son had fallen off of a balcony from their apartment while Clapton was on tour I believe. He wrote the song for his son.

The crazy part is, the very day his son had died, he had written a letter and drawn a picture for Clapton and sent it to him.
The letter from his son arrived in the mail on the exact day of his son's funeral.

Wow, I remember his son dying the way that he did, but to receive a letter and a picture in the post on the day of the funeral, that's unreal.................another load of shivers down the spine............cheers

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
One Christmas eve after we put the kids presents out the wife and I went to bed. It was incredibly windy out, winds about 90 kilometers per hour (55 MPH). Anyways I finally fell asleep, and during my sleep I had a strange dream. I dreamt I was watching myself walk into our bedroom and walk up to my wifes side of the bed. I knelt down and whispered into my wifes ear "I have to go". Just then I was startled awake by my terrified wife who had had a nightmare of her own. When she finally calmed down she told me her dream. She dreamt that her father had come into our room, walked to her side of the bed, knelt down beside her and whispered into her ear "I have to go".

That was years ago, and both her father and I are still fine by the way.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by bronco73
One Christmas eve after we put the kids presents out the wife and I went to bed. It was incredibly windy out, winds about 90 kilometers per hour (55 MPH). Anyways I finally fell asleep, and during my sleep I had a strange dream. I dreamt I was watching myself walk into our bedroom and walk up to my wifes side of the bed. I knelt down and whispered into my wifes ear "I have to go". Just then I was startled awake by my terrified wife who had had a nightmare of her own. When she finally calmed down she told me her dream. She dreamt that her father had come into our room, walked to her side of the bed, knelt down beside her and whispered into her ear "I have to go".

That was years ago, and both her father and I are still fine by the way.

Wow, these stories are awesome, that one bronco73, was a weird one. I pre-empted the ending. but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be, it was a happier one..........cheers

top topics

<< 1   >>

join