Strange Stories of Coincidence...........

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Ever since I was a kid I have always been amazed by strange coincidences that have occurred throughout history and was always looking at books in the corner of the library especially around the paranormal section...

I have listed a below a short list of coincidence happenings, some of which you may of heard of....

Any ATS members out there ever had a strange coincidence happen to them personally? If you have then I would love to hear them, always freaks me out........

Pleeeeeeeeeease Tell us.......................

My favourite is the first one in the list....

The British actor Anthony Hopkins [who shot to fame as Hannibal Lecter] was delighted to hear that he had landed a leading role in a film based on the book The Girl From Petrovka by George Feifer...

A few days after signing the contract, Hopkins travelled to London to buy a copy of the book. He tried several bookshops, but there wasn't one to be had. Waiting at Leicester Square underground station for his train home, he noticed a book apparently discarded on a bench. Incredibly, it was The Girl From Petrovka. That in itself would have been coincidence enough but in fact it was merely the beginning of an extraordinary chain of events.

Two years later, in the middle of filming in Vienna, Hopkins was visited by George Feifer, the author. Feifer mentioned that he did not have a copy of his own book. He had lent the last one - containing his own annotations - to a friend who had lost it somewhere in London. With mounting astonishment, Hopkins handed Feifer the book he had found. 'Is this the one?' he asked, 'with the notes scribbled in the margins?' It was the same book.

In 1858, Robert Fallon was shot dead, an act of vengeance by those with whom he was playing poker. Fallon, they claimed, had won the $600 pot through cheating. With Fallon's seat empty and none of the other players willing to take the now-unlucky $600, they found a new player to take Fallon's place and staked him with the dead man's $600. By the time the police had arrived to investigate the killing, the new player had turned the $600 into $2,200 in winnings. The police demanded the original $600 to pass on to Fallon's next of kin - only to discover that the new player turned out to be Fallon's son, who had not seen his father in seven years!

While American novelist Anne Parrish was browsing bookstores in Paris in the 1920s, she came upon a book that was one of her childhood favorites - Jack Frost and Other Stories. She picked up the old book and showed it to her husband, telling him of the book she fondly remembered as a child. Her husband took the book, opened it, and on the flyleaf found the inscription: "Anne Parrish, 209 N. Weber Street, Colorado Springs." It was Anne's very own book.........

In Detroit sometime in the 1930s, a young (if incredibly careless) mother must have been eternally grateful to a man named Joseph Figlock. As Figlock was walking down the street, the mother's baby fell from a high window onto Figlock. The baby's fall was broken and both man and baby were unharmed. A stroke of luck on its own, but a year later, the very same baby fell from the very same window onto poor, unsuspecting Joseph Figlock as he was again passing beneath. And again, they both survived the event....

There was a coincidence story about a guy who works for the AA - that's the Automobile Association in the UK, not Alcoholics Anonymous. He was out for a walk in the middle of nowhere when a public phone box he was passing started to ring. He thought he may as well answer the phone and when he did so was shocked to find that the caller was his dispatcher from the AA. It seems she had meant to call his mobile phone number but absent mindedly had rung his staff number instead - which just happened to be the number of the phone box he was walking past.

Once I took a picture of my girlfriend in Pompeii (Italy) with her standing on a column. Nice picture, clear sky and clear background. Years later, when she had a new boy friend, they browsed together through her photo-albums and he spots himself somewhere in the background of a photograph. Amazing, and tempting to think they were meant for each other ...
(Bokke, Gdynia Poland)

edit on 14-9-2012 by davethebear because: spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Fascinating! These stories just amazes me, S&F for you. Sorry i dont have a personal story to share with you.

Thanks for sharing these.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
In the late 1950's, my mother woke up from a dream, my sister crying is what caused her to awaken. She went to check on my sister. My sister had been having a nightmare. When she described the dream to my mother, it was the same dream that my mother was having apparently simultaneously.

It wasn't a typical dream either. My two sisters were being chased by a furry animal, which my mother describes as looking 'like a groundhog' and my oldest sister was holding my other sister's hand while they ran, practically dragging her since she couldn't keep up with her.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
These were some great stories, just goes to show that perhaps coincidence is actually "Fate" at work.... Well done to the OP for this great post.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
In the late 1950's, my mother woke up from a dream, my sister crying is what caused her to awaken. She went to check on my sister. My sister had been having a nightmare. When she described the dream to my mother, it was the same dream that my mother was having apparently simultaneously.

It wasn't a typical dream either. My two sisters were being chased by a furry animal, which my mother describes as looking 'like a groundhog' and my oldest sister was holding my other sister's hand while they ran, practically dragging her since she couldn't keep up with her.

Wow, now that is a weird coincidence.........I was expecting some personal stories, but I wasn't expecting a story involving two people having the same dream..........cheers for that...........

Strangely enough, I was in Sri Lanka on holiday and on this one night I had a dream of a great wave that completely engulfed the hotel where I was staying, it seemed to go on for ages it was quite a scary dream to say the least. As my holiday came to an end a Sri Lankan guy I had got to know quite well during my stay invited myself and my girlfriend over to Sri Lanka the following year in December to go to his sons wedding. Anyway. to cut a long story short we didn't go back to Sri Lanka because of funds so we went to Amsterdam instead. When we woke up on Boxing Day and turned on the TV it was then that we realised that the Tsunami had happened and the place we should have gone to for the wedding was completely destroyed and many of the people were killed....

Now that has always freaked me out to this day.......
edit on 14-9-2012 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Star and flag. Very cool stories.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have a few personal ones that are still baffling me.

Husband buys a second hand car and finds an MOT certificate that doesn't belong to that car. It isn't that important but he remembers the number plate as it was an easy one.
The next day he drives to Welwyn Garden City and a car is following him [only around a roundabout and another road]. In it is a young girl. He notices the make of the car and looks [mirror image] at her number plate and doesn't believe his eyes, as it is the same one on the stray MOT cert he has got. He puts his emergency lights on and beeps to get her attention and then signals for them both to stop. They are in the middle of town by now. They get out and he is so confused but tells her that he has her MOT cert at home. She is equally baffled and tells him that she has lost it. So they exchange phone numbers and he asks for her address [yes I know he could have been a mad killer
] and sends her the cert through the post. Very very strange.

The other one concerns my sister who back in the 60's was modelling a one off school timetable advert for a fountain pen. She is the front teen holding it up in front of a group of others. This timetable went throughout Europe for kids to have for free as an advertising campaign for said fountain pen ["Geha" if anyone is interested].
She eventually marries and has a kid.
Meanwhile in Hungary a boy has a crush on the girl on the timetable, cuts her out and hangs her on the wall.
Time passes, the boy grows up, comes to Germany and works in the Postoffice with a lady who is now divorced, he becomes her rock and eventually they marry. Years later they clean their loft and he finds a wad of those timetables. He calls her over and tells her that he used to have a crush on the girl...to which my sister tells him that it is her. So he married his timetable girl without knowing...ahhhh [They've been married over 30 years now].

There might be more but I can't think further at the moment and I am coloring my hair so I have to stop here.
edit on 14-9-2012 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate666
I have a few personal ones that are still baffling me.

Husband buys a second hand car and finds an MOT certificate that doesn't belong to that car. It isn't that important but he remembers the number plate as it was an easy one.
The next day he drives to Welwyn Garden City and a car is following him [only around a roundabout and another road]. In it is a young girl. He notices the make of the car and looks [mirror image] at her number plate and doesn't believe his eyes, as it is the same one on the stray MOT cert he has got. He puts his emergency lights on and beeps to get her attention and then signals for them both to stop. They are in the middle of town by now. They get out and he is so confused but tells her that he has her MOT cert at home. She is equally baffled and tells him that she has lost it. So they exchange phone numbers and he asks for her address [yes I know he could have been a mad killer
] and sends her the cert through the post. Very very strange.

The other one concerns my sister who back in the 60's was modelling a one off school timetable advert for a fountain pen. She is the front teen holding it up in front of a group of others. This timetable went throughout Europe for kids to have for free as an advertising campaign for said fountain pen ["Geha" if anyone is interested].
She eventually marries and has a kid.
Meanwhile in Hungary a boy has a crush on the girl on the timetable, cuts her out and hangs her on the wall.
Time passes, the boy grows up, comes to Germany and works in the Postoffice with a lady who is now divorced, he becomes her rock and eventually they marry. Years later they clean their loft and he finds a wad of those timetables. He calls her over and tells her that he used to have a crush on the girl...to which my sister tells him that it is her. So he married his timetable girl without knowing...ahhhh [They've been married over 30 years now].

There might be more but I can't think further at the moment and I am coloring my hair so I have to stop here.
edit on 14-9-2012 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

Wow, awesome...................To hear some personal stories is great......The story concerning your sister made my hairs on my back stand on end, that is truly weird, but a beautiful story with a lovely ending. So the guy married his pin up girl....................fabulous.......cheers

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have had many "coincidences" in my life. One that I can relate to with one of the above is when my son and I had the same dream -- this has happened twice so far.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I have never heard those stories before, thank you for sharing!

I have one coincidence that sticks out in my mind right now. It isn't amazing, but it was interesting.

It is a long story so I will try to make it quick.

My dad owned a house when he met my mother which he sold when they got married. My husband's uncle and aunt bought the house from my dad, and my husband spent his summers there. I've known my husband for 12 years and we just discovered this last year during a conversation. We couldn't believe we were talking about the same house.

Edit: Just read this in the news and thought it was pretty relevant

Ohio Man saves stranger twice

A man is at the lake when a little boy comes and tells him his father is hurt. The man goes to see and the father has three fish hooks stuck in his hand. He removes the hooks and the two part ways. Eight years later, he sees a man and boy on the side of the road. He stops, and gets out of his car to help them. Just then, a drunk driver crashes into his car. If his car wasn't there, the drunk driver would have crashed into the father and son. After talking, the two men discover they knew each other from the incident 8 years prior. Crazy story!
edit on 14-9-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
One morning I awoke to my brother and my cousin telling my dad about the dream that they had the night before. My cousin had spent the night as him and my oldest brother were good friends, and my cousin was also my good friend(he's no longer on earth).
Anyways, My brother was dreaming that he was in a cave-in, trapped beneath some rubble of a building. At the same time, my cousin was dreaming that he was trying to pull my brother out from under a fallen tree. My cousin, like me, was a sleep-walker, and he had my brother by the big toe, trying to pull him out of bed, while my brother was screaming, thinking he was being pulled out from under a building. It was truly funny to hear them recount that dream several times over the years.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This story is not as grand as these others but I thought it was cool anyway. I had a fever and had been sick for a while when my mom broke her ankle and had surgery. She was staying at my house and realized she needed more meds from the pharmacy. So even though I am sick and feel like crap i go into town to get her pills. When it was time to pay for them I realized I had forgotten my checkbook! I prayed hard while i emptied out my wallet, dollars and ALL my change was on the counter. I counted it and had the EXACT amount! Down to the last penny!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tport17
I have never heard those stories before, thank you for sharing!

I have one coincidence that sticks out in my mind right now. It isn't amazing, but it was interesting.

It is a long story so I will try to make it quick.

My dad owned a house when he met my mother which he sold when they got married. My husband's uncle and aunt bought the house from my dad, and my husband spent his summers there. I've known my husband for 12 years and we just discovered this last year during a conversation. We couldn't believe we were talking about the same house.

Edit: Just read this in the news and thought it was pretty relevant

Ohio Man saves stranger twice

A man is at the lake when a little boy comes and tells him his father is hurt. The man goes to see and the father has three fish hooks stuck in his hand. He removes the hooks and the two part ways. Eight years later, he sees a man and boy on the side of the road. He stops, and gets out of his car to help them. Just then, a drunk driver crashes into his car. If his car wasn't there, the drunk driver would have crashed into the father and son. After talking, the two men discover they knew each other from the incident 8 years prior. Crazy story!
edit on 14-9-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

Thank you for sharing that.........brilliant..............cheers

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fylgje
One morning I awoke to my brother and my cousin telling my dad about the dream that they had the night before. My cousin had spent the night as him and my oldest brother were good friends, and my cousin was also my good friend(he's no longer on earth).
Anyways, My brother was dreaming that he was in a cave-in, trapped beneath some rubble of a building. At the same time, my cousin was dreaming that he was trying to pull my brother out from under a fallen tree. My cousin, like me, was a sleep-walker, and he had my brother by the big toe, trying to pull him out of bed, while my brother was screaming, thinking he was being pulled out from under a building. It was truly funny to hear them recount that dream several times over the years.

Brill, cheers for sharing..........................

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBit111
This story is not as grand as these others but I thought it was cool anyway. I had a fever and had been sick for a while when my mom broke her ankle and had surgery. She was staying at my house and realized she needed more meds from the pharmacy. So even though I am sick and feel like crap i go into town to get her pills. When it was time to pay for them I realized I had forgotten my checkbook! I prayed hard while i emptied out my wallet, dollars and ALL my change was on the counter. I counted it and had the EXACT amount! Down to the last penny!

Thanks for that, I must admit I have had that happen to me once also...........wonderful when it happens though..........cheers

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
ok so this is not nearly as interesting as most of these posts but anyway....

about an hour ago i was watching the pilot for a show called rubicon that aired on AMC a couple of years ago..... so about 3 mins in a women enters the room and asks a gentleman.. do you know what day it is? instantly Wednesday pops into my head. the gentleman confirms my answer! unfortunately this is happening to me more and more frequently a thought will pop into my head then something will occur to make said thought relevant.... for example last saturday i consciously thought. i need to buy lightbulbs! 2 mins later my lights go out..... stuff like that

does anyone have an explanation for this eerie weirdness
edit on 14-9-2012 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Several years ago I was compiling information about my ancestors to make a book for family members. I had most everything I needed, except I didn't have any pictures of my great-great-great grandfather and his family.

So a few weeks later I went to a local fall festival. While there a lady comes up to me and we start talking. She turned out to be a distant cousin. As we talked I mentioned the book I was writing, and she said she had the pictures I was looking for, and she would mail copies to me when she went back home.
She lived out of state, and just happened to be in for a visit, and came to the festival.
The odds of us running into one another at this festival, and her having what I had been searching for goes beyond coincidence! I don't believe in coincidence. Things happen because our spirit guides arrange them to happen when they are meant to be.

After starting the book, another family member suggested I don't just write it for family members, but also sell it to the public. So I decided I would do that.
I had 1300 copies printed up, and sold out in about 2.5 years! I could have sold more, but didn't have the finances to have more printed. Independent publishing is very expensive!

Apparently, this book was meant to be. It told of a time when life was simpler (in some ways) and people took care of their neighbors, the struggles and hardships of living through the depression, and the love of family that carried them through it.
I think the message in the book was something people needed to read to find inspiration for their own lives.
I received many, many letters thanking me for writing such an inspiring true story to share with others, and usually had repeat orders from people all over the U.S. to give as gifts to their family members.

Enjoying the thread, OP! S&F
edit on 9/14/2012 by sled735 because: addition to comment

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
S&F for this, I love crazy things like this. Gotta be fate at work.
I've not had anything really great happen, but I have dreamed the future a few times, or just known. For instance, knowing my friend's baby was a boy when it was too early to tell, or dreaming it was snowing to wake up to a white world. Blessed little insightful moments.
My strangest experience happened a few years ago, I was 13 or 14. My grandmother was in a hospital in Nashville. I had been up to visit her once (my mom was taking care of her) and afterward I had this odd dream. I was in a building of multiple floors, with a lot of glass, and I looked out the window to see a (I dunno, gothic? The square kind with the points on each corner) tower. I said I wanted to go see that and some guy turned to me and said "You don't wanna go there, that place is evil; dangerous." So I went to Nashville a couple weeks later, and there was the tower out the window, the same view I had seen in my dream. I told my parents about it and we went to investigate. Turns out it was a Knights Templar building. Beautiful old place. but.. too Illuminati for me. It freaked me out. Especially since we almost got caught wandering around.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
These stories are amazing! Mine, not so much...

A few years ago I had become good friends with a guy. He'd told me that one of his favorite movies was 'Andrei Rublev' (an old B&W Russian movie), so a few days later I'm at the library, looking for a good book. I pull out a random book from a shelf to see what it was, and a paper fell out of it. It was one of the receipts you get when you check something out at the library, and the only thing checked out was a movie- 'Andrei Rublev.' I just thought it was sort of strange...

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I think these are great, i love these moments where things and people just somehow find a path to each other, and (re)connect. To me, it feels like we are able to bind ourselves through time and space to anything we feel connected to.
I do believe that the connection is the key, formed not by desire or superficial need but a simple and plain curiosity.
As if we can feel a promise it holds, to inspire and teach us.
I think such a thing or person would become a beacon, noticed by our sub-consciousness and so steering our choices to meet up again.

Anyway, thanks for the inspirational stories...

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join