It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1949 Radio Hat only $7.95..............................

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
As you all know I am a big collector and fan of anything retro/vintage/antique, weird, mad and different.......I just wish that there was a forum titled Retro or Vintage.........

Anyway, I came across this today from the year 1949 and had a bit of a chuckle to myself, basically just because of the look of the radio hat. I am amazed with the inventions folks come up with now and in the past.....

Now all you need for this particular invention is a builders hard hat or a pith helmet, stick an aerial on the top, drill a couple of holes to fit the headphones and cram a small radio inside and 'Hey Presto', you have a Radio Hat....

All that for $7.95.......................................I wonder how much this hat would cost now and would anybody actually buy it?

Any takers....hahaha

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I'd buy two!
That's just awesome.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
That is awesome.

Part of the reason why I love the Fallout series so much is their use of Vintage posters, artwork and radio. I love that kind of stuff.

I think I prefer the advertisment back then.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
With duel round antennae you could make this into a Mickey Mouse hat. I wonder if they sold any?

P

Edit to add, in 2012 money that would be around $75.00. Anyone still want one or two. Oh, you need two for stereo, ROFL.
edit on 14/9/2012 by pheonix358 because: because i wanted to.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
No need for flouride when you wear that
Orders will be sent directly to your brain,but would it help protect from an X class solar blast?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
I'd buy two!
That's just awesome.

You only have one head...............hahaha

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MartyrCollect
That is awesome.

Part of the reason why I love the Fallout series so much is their use of Vintage posters, artwork and radio. I love that kind of stuff.

I think I prefer the advertisment back then.

Yeah, I love the old vintage posters too, the artwork I find sometimes breathtaking. They didn't have all the computer technology then, everything was done through hard graft............

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear

I'd buy two!
That's just awesome.

Boys have two.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
TUUUUUUUBBBEEEEESSSSZZZZ!!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
With duel round antennae you could make this into a Mickey Mouse hat. I wonder if they sold any?

P

Edit to add, in 2012 money that would be around $75.00. Anyone still want one or two. Oh, you need two for stereo, ROFL.
edit on 14/9/2012 by pheonix358 because: because i wanted to.

So you reckon that they would cost around $75 in todays money................shall we make some and see what happens?.......haha............

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
It would not be hard to do if you fake it. A modern radio with headphones, couple of 18650 batteries to light up the tubes, small motor to rotate the antenna.

For the Aussies, great find for the Melbourne Cup if you are going. It would be a one of a kind, far better than wearing a garden on your head.

P

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

I hope it worked better than these X-Ray specs:
www.toptenz.net...

I'd rather have an Apollo Lunar Module for 10 cents.

I suspect it worked but check out the size of that battery...there are actually 2 of them but that 22V battery pack is HUGE!!!! Probably very heavy too.

I'm not sure when FM was introduced, but I've only listened to AM once or twice in my life, when approaching an airport that was broadcasting airport info on AM. I'm guessing that is AM only? I can live without digital radio but I can definitely tell a huge difference between stereo FM versus AM.

You'd probably have a hard time finding replacement vacuum tubes these days.

I suspect it was geeky looking even back then.

edit on 14-9-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by davethebear

I hope it worked better than these X-Ray specs:
www.toptenz.net...

I'd rather have an Apollo Lunar Module for 10 cents.

I suspect it worked but check out the size of that battery...there are actually 2 of them but that 22V battery pack is HUGE!!!! Probably very heavy too.

I'm not sure when FM was introduced, but I've only listened to AM once or twice in my life, when approaching an airport that was broadcasting airport info on AM. I'm guessing that is AM only? I can live without digital radio but I can definitely tell a huge difference between stereo FM versus AM.

You'd probably have a hard time finding replacement vacuum tubes these days.

I suspect it was geeky looking even back then.

edit on 14-9-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

Wow, you took me back a few years there..............I remember the x-ray specs adverts when I used to buy Bazooker Joe bubble gum in the 1970's, but I never managed to get a pair............did they work...haha

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

did they work...haha
No, pretty much everything on that list is a scam to some extent, though I must admit I didn't really expect the 10 cent lunar module to fly to the moon

The interesting old radios to me are crystal radios that needed no batteries. Here's a portable "space age" radio, circa 1960:
www.crystalradio.net... (152)

They would probably still work today, unlike the helmet radio, as the components were more reliable than the vacuum tubes used in the OP helmet. And since they run on a "free energy" of sorts, no need to find odd batteries like the 22V battery in the helmet radio.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

did they work...haha
No, pretty much everything on that list is a scam to some extent, though I must admit I didn't really expect the 10 cent lunar module to fly to the moon

The interesting old radios to me are crystal radios that needed no batteries. Here's a portable "space age" radio, circa 1960:
www.crystalradio.net... (152)

They would probably still work today, unlike the helmet radio, as the components were more reliable than the vacuum tubes used in the OP helmet. And since they run on a "free energy" of sorts, no need to find odd batteries like the 22V battery in the helmet radio.

Nice find, I love that.............cheers

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I'd buy two!
That's just awesome.

True, but I'd want a back-up.

I bet that hat would get pretty warm after a while.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I'd buy two!
That's just awesome.

True, but I'd want a back-up.

I bet that hat would get pretty warm after a while.

Yeah, you would have to have a special Radio Hat bag to carry the back up one with..........maybe you could invent a Radio Hat that has a way of cooling itself while it is working.......Mmmmmm, I think we could be onto something here........haha

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I have plenty of tubes here, I might make one!

new topics

<<   2 >>

join