It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 per cent Brits clueless where their heart is located

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

50 per cent Brits clueless where their heart is located

news.in.msn.com

London, Sep 13 (PTI) More than half of Britons are so clueless about their bodies that they cannot even pinpoint the correct location of their heart, a new study has found.

The study found that Brits do not even know how much blood they have, how many teeth are in their mouths or what roles our vital organs perform.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
More than half couldn''t tell where their gall bladder can be found and one in thirteen people didn''t know how many kidneys they have.

And six in ten didn''t know their own blood type.

Only a third of people could correctly state that the average adult has between five and six litres of blood.

Nearly a fifth of Brits, 18 per cent, thought a visor was a type of tooth.

Three-quarters of the respondents did not know that the liver is our biggest internal organ, with four in ten said one of the lungs was of greater size.

news.in.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

WOOOWWW..... Dang in my middle school health class was like a high school class....... Dang...What is the largest oran in the body??? NO GOOGLE

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I bet they know the size of Prince Harry's johnson, though. Kind of like how so many people here in the USA know more about the Kardashians than they do about their countries own geography.
edit on 14-9-2012 by taccj9903 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

of course brits dont know how many teeth they have with there lack of oral hygiene im sure they all have different amounts lol

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Meh. MEH! I don't think most people know where the heart is located, how many teeth they're supposed to have, or that everyone has 5 kidneys. I don't know my blood type. Is sexy a blood type?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Most of this stuff is just pointless statistics and trivia, though. Wouldn't be relevant unless you were a doctor.

The blood type stuff is of course important, however, even though though the NHS has that information stored, usually.

Also, I read a long while back, that everybody's heart isn't in the exact same place. Some people even have it in the right side of their torso.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Just goes to show ya Leo, The Medical profesion here in the UK really relys on "Ignorance is bliss" attitude.
They want you to believe that what the internet discloses is nonsence and not to be taken seriously, So you cannot go around challenging thier opinions.

We have a Conservative goverment hell bent on taking us (working class) back to the the old victorian system off "Know your place and do not dare challenge us" ideas, The opinon poll was slanted from the outset and cherry picked people asked these questions IMO.
The average UK citizen has been very well educated and has a zeest for knowledge, Do not fall for TPTB agenda of greed and divide and conquer manipulation, To create a them and us attitude so its easier to control and manipulate the mases.. There still is an European Aristocracy with an agenda !!!. Just my two bobs worth...

edit on 14-9-2012 by foxhoundone because: Co Codamol jitters.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
This sounds like a bit of an attack on the British, I bet those statistics are a lot worse elsewhere, you know where I mean. Also, I bet this is slightly misleading, when they didn't know where their heart was, they probably just pointed to the wrong part of the chest, where the heart is commonly shown to be in cartoons and whatnot, when it's actually more central.
edit on 14-9-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

The study also found 60 per cent could not name their own blood type, the ''Daily Mail'' reported.

and you believe this rubbish, more fool you - should have read the article, seen the words quoted from it above, laughed, and closed the window. it's from the daily mail

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

you realise that you are slagging off the tories whilst getting riled about a bogus survey reported in the daily mail??? ironic, no?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
I bet they know the size of Prince Harry's johnson, though. Kind of like how so many people here in the USA know more about the Kardashians than they do about their countries own geography.

From the amount of Americans I have met most of them don't even know where their own damn country is in the world....................

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

of course brits dont know how many teeth they have with there lack of oral hygiene im sure they all have different amounts lol

This is an incorrect stereotype.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear

Originally posted by taccj9903

From the amount of Americans I have met most of them don't even know where their own damn country is in the world....................

Or any other country.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

This is an incorrect stereotype.

it's also quite a funny joke, albeit an old one - i laughed and starred him for it, but then i'm british and all my teeth rotted away and gave me brain damage

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

The National Health system is flawed and easy to defraud especially by the dental proffesion, Back in the 60s and 70s There where less scrupiluse Dentists who could only find employment in "Soical health care" job market
treating young patients and giving less than ideal treatment,

The money alllocated was minimal so not much scope for "profit". one off the ways to save money was to use the tip of the drill till it was blunt thus saving monies and more profit, This has had the effect of many people having a phobia and distrust of the dental proffesion. And Fluroride lets not go there for now !!!.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Yes well as a Brit i have to chime in here and say that this is from the same pathetic excuse for a newspaper that on one fateful day a few years ago when we had some snowfall printed as a front page headline the word SNOW! with a picture of some snow...............

only BNP supporters put any stock in what the daily mail has to say

this nice little song is an example of their lunacy... enjoy

edit on 14-9-2012 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

link   
double post!

link   
Who were these respondents?! There's nothing to say how old the 2,000 respondents were - might have all been primary school children!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Three-quarters of the respondents did not know that the liver is our biggest internal organ, with four in ten said one of the lungs was of greater size.

Guilty, I didn't know it was the liver.

As many as three-quarters of people were stumped when it came to guessing how many bones are in the adult human body.

I used to know, but I have forgotten. Guess I need to Google this.

As far as blood type goes I asked the hospital when my oldest was born, and they told me they no longer test for blood type unless there is a medical need. i requested one was denied.
Same thing for all 3 of my children at the pediatricians office. The said they will not test unless my children needed a blood transfusion. If I wanted a test ordered I would have to pay $500 yet you can get a home test over the internet for $9. I just keep forgetting to do this.

I am in the u.s. by the way.
edit on 14-9-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join