It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happiness - what happened to you?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I re-wrote the subject heading countless times, and I think I've nailed it on the head.

Happiness. Where have you gone? I'm talking about society in general, and I am talking about true happiness - not the happiness that is derived from success, or having money in your bank account, or any one of the countless other consumerist "things" which purportedly makes us "happy".

As our society progresses through the decades, our life gets easier - we have all the modern conveniences we could possibly want. Running water, aircon, cars, iphones, computers, luxury food, a literal world of information at our fingertips.

But are we happy? I would emphatically argue a resounding no.

I, myself, am not generally happy. Sure, I am successful, and I have a great family and friends - but if I ask myself, truthfully, at any given point, "Am I happy right now?" the answer is generally no.

This is because my life revolves almost solely around work, to generate money, to buy those things that the MSM insist will make me happy.

I buy these things, and then scratch my head and wonder why I'm not happy? Surely, having the newest iPhone, a shiny car, a big house, and wads of cash should, by all accounts, plaster a massive smile on my face, and have me skipping through my day.

Truth; I'm stressed, overweight, unhealthy, and unhappy.

And then I'm even more disenchanted because I feel GUILTY for not being happy - surely there are people much worse off, so why should I complain?

We are at a turning point in society - there are enough of us now who have "achieved" success in the main stream, only to realize it's a complicated, enshrouding lie.

MONEY DOES BUY PROVIDE HAPPINESS!

So where is happiness? It is in those moments of solitude - my "disconnect" moments where I throw off the shackles of consumerism, and instead listen to the early morning sounds on a walk with my family.

Where to now? What do we do with this understanding?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

You could see this as semantics, but my take on this subject is

Happiness is a human trait - it is transient, superficial, without life.

Joy, on the other hand is our natural spiritual state. Our essence is Joy. Joy = Love

So life should be about trying to return to that natural state of joy. that is our default consciousness.

Do not strive for happiness - Look to be Joyful.

Peace

* Ned

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

How does one strive to return to the joyful state?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Happiness can be summed up as acceptance and indifference.

Acceptance of one's self, acceptance of one's flaws, acceptance of one's situation, etc.

Indifference towards how one is perceived and received by his or her peers, indifference towards failure and success, and so on.

Depression can be summed up as resistance and escapism.

Happiness sounds tough, right? Well guess what, you had it as a kid, and you lost it when you became self conscious.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I've been there. I can relate.

I weathered my depression. It wasn't until I finally learned what I was, and to see through my own follies, my own dishonesty, that I was able to pull myself back out again. It's taxing on the soul to live a lie, remembering nothing but the mediocrity and petty vanity of ones existence, but it can be changed. It's so cliché but once one learns to love himself, he no longer need things to keep him entertained. It takes mental and physical health to accomplish this.

Philosophically, happiness is an untruth. There's nothing there to attain. Our bodies seek to remember things they enjoy, and to forget things that cause them pain. We must seek things we wish to remember, not mediocre entertainment or petty vanity, but real experiences we'll never forget. We live with those great memories and are able to reflect on them whenever we wish. Happiness is in the reflection of good memories.

edit on 13-9-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Very nice topic and post, S&F for you.

The consumerist mindset started back at the end of the depression. Big corporations were lagging in sales because people were clinging to what little money they had...they needed to figure out how to get people to let go of that money and spend it...enter Sigmund Freud...or more appropriately, his nephew...Edward Bernays. Bernays took the psychological studies of Freud and turned them into probably the most successful marketing strategy/philosophy ever imagined. It was at it's core that you could "buy" self expression...you could "buy" a sense of worth...thus the "consumer" society was born...and boy did it grow!

I won't go deep into it, but here is a 4 hour video that explains it extremely well...(I suggest watching it on youtube and bookmarking each session till you are finished)

You are correct, happiness and joy cannot be bought, though we are told it can be. Most people feel as if they have a gigantic hole running right through their middle and no amount of "stuff" or money or alcohol or drugs or sex...can fill that hole up. People are awakening to the fact they are missing something and they don't know what it is. It is a journey that each person must make in their own time and i their own way....

Here is the video I mentioned above..."The Century of the Self"...

edit on 13-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

You know the experiment of the caterpillar ? A caterpillar usually climbs on a plant or tree to eat the leaves and then create a cocoon to later become a butterfly. They did an experiment where they inverted the plant, the leaves were then on the ground and the roots in the air, the caterpillar still climbs and unable to eat the roots, he dies. That's because the caterpillar is not attracted by the leaves, but because he is attracted by the light (heliotropism). He had all the leaves in front of him, on the ground, but he "decided" to climb and die.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Philosophically, happiness is an untruth. There's nothing there to attain. Our bodies seek to remember things they enjoy, and to forget things that cause them pain. We must seek things we wish to remember, not mediocre entertainment or petty vanity, but real experiences we'll never forget. We live with those great memories and are able to reflect on them whenever we wish. Happiness is in the reflection of good memories.

I've never thought about it this way before - thank you for giving me a different insight.

I have taken the first step - we're selling our business (which is a very large business). I've realised that the pursuit of wealth has done the opposite to what I expected.

It's time to give up all these material things. We will have enough in our bank account to live off indefinitely, and we're planning on moving to SE Asia to figure out what life is really all about.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
Very nice topic and post, S&F for you.

The consumerist mindset started back at the end of the depression. Big corporations were lagging in sales because people were clinging to what little money they had...they needed to figure out how to get people to let go of that money and spend it...enter Sigmund Freud...or more appropriately, his nephew...Edward Bernays. Bernays took the psychological studies of Freud and turned them into probably the most successful marketing strategy/philosophy ever imagined. It was at it's core that you could "buy" self expression...you could "buy" a sense of worth...thus the "consumer" society was born...and boy did it grow!

I won't go deep into it, but here is a 4 hour video that explains it extremely well...(I suggest watching it on youtube and bookmarking each session till you are finished)

You are correct, happiness and joy cannot be bought, though we are told it can be. Most people feel as if they have a gigantic hole running right through their middle and no amount of "stuff" or money or alcohol or drugs or sex...can fill that hole up. People are awakening to the fact they are missing something and they don't know what it is. It is a journey that each person must make in their own time and i their own way....

Here is the video I mentioned above..."The Century of the Self"...

edit on 13-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

Thank you very much for sharing.

I guess this is one of the greatest benefits of the internet - people can come on here and share their thoughts. 99% is junk. I truly believe that topics and discussions like this will help open peoples eyes.

Thank you for sharing.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Ya I know exactly what you mean. I went threw the whole success phase already. The rule of thumb is the more money you make the more problems you have in life. As long as your passport is working don't do anything stupid. You got it made. You got total freedom to do anything you want in life. If you mess that up your screwed. You don't need a lot of money to be happy. You don't need a house unless you have a family. You don't need a lot of stuff that will only burden you and waste your time and money, organizing, cleaning, maintaining, upgrading, it all. Don't bother. That's what the system wants. They want people to just be debt slaves. Always striving and never arriving.

Here's my opinion. And I've seen this in endless people. You have one major task in life. that is you have to figure out where you came from, why your here, and where you're going. Do that, cuz once you know that and you understand your place in the universe then everything clicks! Everything makes perfect sense and you can finally be content and happy in being in the know. Like the age old adive, "know thy self". The way do to that is you have to just ask the universe, or God if you will. So you meditate and you ask God to show you who he is. It's so simple too. And he'll show you. He'll show up. Like the age old saying goes..."seek and you shall find, ask and it shall be given to you, knock and the door will be opened".

Cuz that's the most important thing to know. Once you learn the truth then at least you have the foundation for your life. Life doesn't necessary become some magically paradise. Where all still humans and within the confines and problems of this world. But at least you can go to the source of all power whenever you want. You'll have the backing of the most powerful entity there is on your side helping you threw life. Trust me, again I'll say it, it's your ultimate and number one goal as a human is to get to know the source of all power, God. He gave us freewill as humans, which is why you have to make the first move. you have to ask him to show you. Thats' where human pride gets in the way often times. Like a weird nagging in the pit of your stomack that says "no whatever you do, dont' do that!!!" And it only comes up with a someone who doesn't know God at the moment they think of taking that first step. But if you can just do it anyway, and break threw that mental and emotional barrier there's an amazing new world waiting for you. YOu'll finally have "made it in life". So what are you waiting for, go for it okay!

edit on 13-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Quite happy... walked away from that cesspool people call "civilization" back in 80... have everything that need...overall live much like my ancestors in 17th century japan did as prefer a simple quiet life far from the idiocy of the western world.. spend my time on my garden... meditating.. perfecting my skill at iajutsu... fishing... occasionally treat patients when needed...
edit on 13/9/12 by Expat888 because: drunken tengu causing havoc...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
When you find "Happiness" could you please return it to me? I seem to have lost it some (y) tears ago.
Thanks!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

I've never thought about it this way before - thank you for giving me a different insight.

I have taken the first step - we're selling our business (which is a very large business). I've realised that the pursuit of wealth has done the opposite to what I expected.

It's time to give up all these material things. We will have enough in our bank account to live off indefinitely, and we're planning on moving to SE Asia to figure out what life is really all about.

Perfect. It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Life's not as complicated as it seems. (damn these clichés)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
wealth... fame... material things are all meaningless... we come into this world we bring nothing with us... when we leave this world we take nothing with us ... life is meant to be lived... live it...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Your post made a lot of sense.
Can you explain what you mean by...

Depression can be summed up as resistance and escapism. ?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

I buy these things, and then scratch my head and wonder why I'm not happy? Surely, having the newest iPhone, a shiny car, a big house, and wads of cash should, by all accounts, plaster a massive smile on my face, and have me skipping through my day.

Truth; I'm stressed, overweight, unhealthy, and unhappy.

And then I'm even more disenchanted because I feel GUILTY for not being happy - surely there are people much worse off, so why should I complain?

Goodness guilt is a real killjoy, I suffered from that for years,didn't even know really why I felt so guilty until recently.
It is a good thing to question yourself and your environment, more and more people are doing this every day.
It's when you find out one thing was a lie, it puts into question everything else.
The glamour of our society is only skin deep and you don't need those things to be happy, they'd like to tell you, you do. But that's not the truth, you already know that.

For your personal/physical negativety
Try some positive meditation, it goes like this....
lay or sit as most comfortable to you
breath deeply, close you eyes
use your 'inside' eyes to rove over your body from toes to tips of fingers.
Take your time
Calm your mind and still your thoughts
think positive energy in (breath in)
unneccesary/uneeded matter out (breath out)
If you feel a tension somewhere, send your minds eyes to that spot and make it relax, and let go.
eg. I had a sore knee, used minds eye to 'wrap mental hands' (even felt the heat) around the sore spot, after a few times this pain is now gone.

This may or may not lead to other experiences and getting in touch with the other you/higher self, which is where healing will/can come from.
Be warned though, it can also show you sides of yourself you may not see most of the time.

Research chakra centres and work on your energy centres, it is beneficial and i have had personal experience with this.

Op I hope this helps you and what nimbinned said is true too, joy is the easiest one to find, it's everywhere and in the littlest and the largest.

One more thing.....go barefoot for a bit x

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
When you find "Happiness" could you please return it to me? I seem to have lost it some (y) tears ago.
Thanks!

That was so beautifully felt when I read it because it is so very very true.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I usually find him a good place to start.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
wealth... fame... material things are all meaningless... we come into this world we bring nothing with us... when we leave this world we take nothing with us ... life is meant to be lived... live it...

I know it's a bit simplistic, but I look at my 4 month old baby girl, and she is so excited and happy with life; and I'm jealous.

This simplistic way of life looks so enticing!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

You are quite welcome! I study and read theology, religion and philosophy. I sincerely believe what has happened to us is we have not only become divided as a society, we are divided within ourselves...our hearts and minds are no longer one. We have embraced the intellect and neglected the spirit. Some call the road you are about to embark on as "the path of enlightenment". The path is different for everyone, but the final destination is the same...the reunification of our hearts and minds...some progress swiftly, and others slowly, but the journey begins with a single step.

For some deep thought, I am going to include a couple of links...enjoy them, consider them...let them speak. They are not intended to remove anything from traditional religion...to me they are accessories to understanding...

The first one:
The Word of Buddha

The second:
The Dao de Jing

I would also suggest reading the Bhagavad-Gita.

and a video clip that had a powerful message to me quite some time ago....

When struggling with this dilemna of unting our hearts and minds, remember the old saying..."There is no greater honor than service to humanity"...it can help ground you in your thoughts and pursuits....

I hope these help.

Good luck and best wishes...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join