Wenceslas Mine / The Nazi Bell
Soviet physicist Nikolay Georgi Frolov in 1983 gave an interview with Joseph Piszczek from Wroclaw about the atomic device inside a mine near
Walbrzych, Silesia codenamed “Maria.” Conversation took place through the intercession of Prof Zdzislaw Szymanski from Inst of nuclear research in
Swierk, Uni of Warsaw which disclosed the following facts:
In 1945 after the fighting was finished Germany’s most gifted scientist and self made industrialist Professor Baron Manfred von Ardenne voluntarily
co-operated with the Soviets. He led Russia’s two leading Atomic physicists Igor Kurcharov and Nikolayevitch Frolov (aka Fleyrov) by car from
Dresden to Ludwikowice in Silesia. From there they drove up a valley to the Wenceslas mine, which was a coal mine abandoned in 1939 due to high
levels of methane.
During the War the complex above ground was turned into a bullet factory by the company Dynamit Nobel AG, but from November 1944 the SS converted the
mine into a laboratory with a series of side chambers off the horizontal shaft. When adaptation works started part of the coalmine was cut off by
reinforced concrete walls, gastight locks and steel gates. Some tunnels were enlarged and reinforced to create underground production halls.
When Ardenne led the Soviet scientists to the mine’s entrance wartime security was obvious. A concrete pillbox controlled access to the mine and von
Ardenne confirmed even he needed a security pass to get past SS Guards. During the War, despite his great stature in the wartime Nazi nuclear program
he was denied access to inside the mine or get past SS guards.
When the Soviet Red Army reached the mine much of it had been flooded by the Nazis. The Soviets were keen to learn from Ardenne what the Germans were
up to there. Ardenne recounted that he had supervised delivery of a cyclotron to the mine but learned at the time of his wartime visit that there was
already another cyclotron device installed there. This was notable because the historical literature only acknowledges a handful of cyclotrons in
Europe during WW2. One in Paris, Ardenne’s Betatron at Berlin Lichterfelde, Bohr’s cyclotron in Denmark and another in Vienna. The existence of
another unknown cyclotron at Wenceslas was remarkable if only for this reason alone. It immediately implied the existence of a secret SS project.
Frolov disclosed in his interview that he was sent to investigate the mine as representative of the Soviet Ministry of Light Machines. This was the
Ministry which controlled Plasma Particle Physics Research in the Soviet Union. Frolov told Piszczek the Germans were more advanced in these studies
than can be imagined.
A scientist named Albers prepared organic compounds for tests with a machine inside the mine. Plenipotentiary for Nazi Nuclear Physics, Osenberg
recorded in his wartime correspondence papers that Albers was consulted about the Manhattan Project's work on the Atomic bomb in 1943. This appears to
link Albers with both the project at the Wenceslas Mine and with nuclear research.
edit on 13-9-2012 by sy.gunson because: Spelling corrections
edit on 13-9-2012 by sy.gunson because: deleting replicated
edit on 13-9-2012 by sy.gunson because: Correcting the date on which SS converted mine (my typo originially)