It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry, they don't represent our religious beliefs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I'm tired of hearing how people perform atrocities in the name of religion, and then others step forward to say, "That's not how the majority of us interpret the bible (quran, torah...)".

Well, ya know, if there's messages of violence in those books, then it CAN be interpreted that way!

I'm calling on Muslims and every religion to open up their books and start ripping out anything and everything with a message of hate, intolerance, and violence. These things are utterly in contradiction with love thy neighbor and goodwill toward men.

As it stands right now religion is no better than atheism. If I were to walk into a room full of atheists I would have no idea if one of them would attack me or not. They don't believe in a god, so there's nothing stopping them from causing harm to anyone.

If I walk into a room of believers in a god, I would have no idea if one of them would attack me or not. They believe in a god, so if there's something in religious writings compelling them to kill infidels, then there's nothing stopping them from causing harm to anyone in the name of god.

What's the difference????

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm just waiting for the follow up posts proving violence is in just about every book of religion. So yeah, we get it, depending on what part of some holy book you're reading you will probably encounter some ancient text that says violence is okay for whatever old ass reason.

It's time for people to take responsibility for themselves and use their brain. I'm talking to you, you crazy religious extremists who are prone to violence. You come in all shapes and sizes.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
and I want atheists to do the same, you know tear up books on Pol Pot Hitler Mao and Stalin.
Lets pretend history didnt happen and everyone is perfect
Stupid???
edit on 13-9-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
religion is based on fear and violence. saying rip out all the pages with violence means you would be left with the front back covers

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
and I want atheists to do the same, you know tear up books on Pol Pot Hitler Mao and Stalin.
Stupid???

sorry but since when do athiests worship these books? you are obviously just some backwards ass religious nut that thinks god created the earth in 7 days

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Stupid???

When will you people learn that atheism is only a means of saying there is no biblical god. Hitler and all the others were sick twisted individuals that would have done the same things if they were religious. It had nothing to do with atheism.

But you sure sound like you don't like the idea of refining religious texts so they only invite mankind into love and peace. Stupid???

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Not sure where the conspiricy is in all of that?

Also not to sure what you don't understand about this , the bible is a history book written in a very different context , very different then the context / world view that we have today .

Seeing how the bible is a history book why are you surprised to see violence contained within its pages ?

If you have an issue with self righteous religious people then fine take it up with them and I will suport you but I don't understand why you attack the bible with nonsensical points that really don't have any other point but to draw blind faith people into a silly argument .
edit on 13-9-2012 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Since this world is nothing but violence, with or without any given religion, removing the texts comes across as denial of the nature of humanity. I'd much rather keep it in and teach of the dangers that these texts can bring.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

See the New Testament.

and don't bait or troll..

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
If I walk into a room of believers in a god, I would have no idea if one of them would attack me or not.

What a ridiculous statement.

Geez, walk into any mainstream Christian church filled with believers in God, and you can be fairly well assured that you're not going to be assaulted. I suspect the same would be true for mainstream Judaism and Islam.

All of this "oh, there's so much hatred in religious texts" is just a shallow argument that's entirely supported by cherry picking the text -- reading what you want to believe in literally, and ignoring everything that disputes it, which in the case of Christianity, means that the "God is evil" nuts take about 5% of the Bible literally, and throw the rest of it out the window.

If that ain't irrational, I don't know what is.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
If you walked into a room full of atheists, they wouldn't attack you because they follow the morals of humanity. Which is killing each other does not further progress the species advancement.

If you walked into a room of theists, they wouldn't attack you, because they follow the morals of their religion.

If you walk into a room which wherein lies a person who is disturbed,unbalanced, hearing voices or brainwashed you might get attacked.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

People who say such things are wise enough to know that sometimes stupid people do stupid things.

EVERY major religious text has dubious messages in it.

Sadly, some people interpret the messages in a different manner to the rest of civilised society.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake

Stupid???

sorry but since when do athiests worship these books? you are obviously just some backwards ass religious nut that thinks god created the earth in 7 days

Its history,,,duh

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

First, a few things:

1. Communism =/= atheism.
2. Hitler was a Christian.

Now, what has God done?

World Wide Flood which killed every human being but one family
Death of Egypt's first-born children
Death of Egypt's male population in the Red Sea
Slaughter of the Baalites, and Babylonians
Sodom and Gomorrah
The Crusades
The Christian Dark Ages
The Inquisition & Burning Times
The Holocaust
World-wide Death Toll due to Nazis in WW2
9/11 and Madrid Bombings

And all of this.

Throw away your Bible, your Qur'an, your Tanakh... they are useless.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

1. No Jewish slaves built the pyramids
2. No exodus of Jewish slaves from Egypt ever happened.
3. No son of a Pharaoh named Moses ever existed in Egypt.
4. Bethlehem did not exist as a town during Christ's birth.
5. Herod never issued a census.

I could go on about how lacking in history the Bible actually is.

This website right here is also chock-full of scholarly work on the historicity of Jesus, and the claims of the Bible.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The bible is a reminder and a guide to the success and prosperity of humanity as a whole.
In fact, when I was ignorant of the heart of God, I was drawn in by Christian Philosophers. (unconsciously) They showed me through simple truths and principle that there is a plan and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
If you really desire to know yourself, I suggest first trying to understand what "The living word" is- it's worth a try for anyone in any corner of the earth.
Anyways, take care/
Just atleast try to understand my thoughts here. I'm tired as - ----------

Ps: what about movies and books? Should they be banned?
edit on 14-9-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MastaShake

Christianity isn't based on fear.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I'll probably get jumped on by everyone here for this but it isn't the books that need destroying it's the churches, mosques and synagogues. These are the places where the fervent religious nuts get their ridiculous interpretations of extremist views reinforced by the old men in beards.
If you read any religious text in quite contemplation then the true message comes out. Listening to other peoples interpretation of them is lazy and promulgates ignorance and intolerance.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe

1. No Jewish slaves built the pyramids
2. No exodus of Jewish slaves from Egypt ever happened.
3. No son of a Pharaoh named Moses ever existed in Egypt.
4. Bethlehem did not exist as a town during Christ's birth.
5. Herod never issued a census.

I could go on about how lacking in history the Bible actually is.

This website right here is also chock-full of scholarly work on the historicity of Jesus, and the claims of the Bible.

~ Wandering Scribe

1) Wrong. Zahi Hawass has a personal bias in portraying the accuracy of the finds within the region.
2) Wrong again. There is evidence to suggest this did in fact happen. (See the findings of David Rohl in "From Eden to Exile"
3) He would not have been named "Moses" by the Egyptian court, and all records of him would have been eliminated anyways (he is still named. See the previous book).
4)Wrong again. Archaeological data within Israel is not complete enough to draw this conclusion.
5)Correct as far as far as roman records are concerned. However, Herod was a nobody. Tacitus records the final events of Jesus life precisely as they are written in the new testament.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join