It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have US and China Been Caught Secretly Testing GMO Rice on Children?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Still not sure if this is true or not but it seems that an investigation is underway. I couldn't verify the author's claims so I went off in search to the clinical trials. Found at the bottom of the thread.

Seems the Chinese people believe it tho:
shanghaiist.com...

Environmental charity Greenpeace has prompted an investigation by the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and outrage from netizens after issuing a report claiming that a US-Sino research project tested genetically modified (GMO) "golden rice" on 6-8 year-old children from poor, rural Chinese families. Golden rice, a new type of rice that contains beta carotene, is intended to alleviate vitamin A deficiency. One of the Chinese researchers, Shi-an Yin, has been suspended from work pending further investigation by the CDC.

Original Source:

www.activistpost.com...
Instead of putting genetically modified foods through proper trials as consumers have been demanding for years, it appears the United States Department of Agriculture in alliance with the Chinese government have instead chosen to secretly test their latest GMO rice on young Chinese children. What’s particularly interesting is the fact that the agencies decided they even needed to test the rice, after claiming that GMO rice and all other GM creations are virtually identical to natural foods.

And the parents are believed to have been unaware:

Greenpeace says that the studies are taking place on roughly 24 children aged between six and eight years old. It has also been said that the parents likely were completely unaware or misinformed.

uk.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - China's health authorities will investigate allegations that genetically modified (GMO) rice was tested on Chinese children as part of a Sino-U.S. research project, state media said on Tuesday.

The GMO foods were apparently tested on kids according to this article:
ajcn.nutrition.org...

Design: Children (n = 68; age 6–8 y) were randomly assigned to consume GR or spinach (both grown in a nutrient solution containing 23 atom% 2H2O) or [2H8]β-carotene in an oil capsule.

And the trial/results:
clinicaltrials.gov...

Seventy-two children each will take two meals, breakfast containing 13C10-RAc dose (0.5mg in 0.2g oil capsule) and lunch containing spinach containing 1 mg ß-C (along with white rice), or Golden Rice containing 0.5mg ß-C (along with light colored vegetables), or ß-C oil capsules containing 0.5 mg ß-C in 0.2g oil (along with white rice and light colored vegetables) on the first day of the study. Blood samples will be collected at 1 3, 7, 14, and 21 days after the study doses.

I can't post that it was certain that parents didn't know as the original author did because it's not yet clear if this was the case but it certainly boils my blood to see kids as test subjects on foods that we are told is safe on a daily basis. Whether the parents knew or not.

Peace

edit on 13-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

No different from the UN testing irradiated fish from Fukushima on the Children of Cambodia.

They're all evil as.

And they're all in cahoots. Russia, China and the US. Play like they're enemies when really they are all puppets.

AND IT'S DISGUSTING.
edit on 13-9-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by jude11

No different from the UN testing irradiated fish from Fukushima on the Children of Cambodia.

They're all evil as.

And they're all in cahoots. Russia, China and the US. Play like they're enemies when really they are all puppets.

AND IT'S DISGUSTING.
edit on 13-9-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

Totally agree with your sentiment.

Seems that we are all just test subjects for Big Agra, Big Pharma etc.

I need to find my cabin in the mountains somewhere and just disappear.

Peace

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This is absolute insanity. Testing for what? To see whether their growing little bodies are capable of producing the cellular constructs which make reproduction possible? Or are they just checking to make sure their teeth don't fall out, or some other "obvious" disadvantage to GMO consumption?

Given rice is the most-consumed food in the world, I suppose the joke is on us for not being able to anticipate this new addition to the GMO food supply. But it's disgusting, inexcusable, and it's turning me into a religious person just so that I can hope some demonic overlord of the underworld traps these mo-fo's in its talons for all of eternity. In short, it's making me ridiculously illogical.

More realistically, and without the tongue-in-cheek blabbering I'm prone to, we must begin supporting our local growers, and become growers ourselves. On the social level, we must routinely educate peers on how our food supply is slowly being altered. In general, people sincerely believe that this food wouldn't be in our supply if it weren't tested over and over as being safe - it's made by super-smart scientists, after all. And it's this dangerous elevation of the scientifically-educated that made this whole debacle possible, so how 'bout embracing conventional wisdom for once?

new topics

top topics

join