It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House makes lying about military service a crime

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This would be illegal, unamerican and unconstitutional. Just because you don't like what someone says doesn't mean they don't have the right to say it. Freedom of speech people.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Why couldnt they have done this when john kerry was running his "when i was in vietnam...." Campaign? Every stinkin sentence out of his mouth started with "when i was in vietnam...."....and it turned out he wasnt even there......lol

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

www.snopes.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

John Kerry did in fact go to Vietnam and fought. If you've got an ax to grind with Democrats that's your business but you shouldn't spout BS.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Why couldnt they have done this when john kerry was running his "when i was in vietnam...." Campaign? Every stinkin sentence out of his mouth started with "when i was in vietnam...."....and it turned out he wasnt even there......lol

Guessing you got that 'fact' from Rush or someone in a similar position.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
About time.

Lying about your service doesn't just stop at someone telling a few unbelievable tales down your local, this is a serious problem within the security industry in particular.

Picture someone lieing thier butt off about thier qualifications and service, especially active service, then finding out in the middle of a job when the SHTF that they've never seen a firefight in thier life.

Thats when it gets serious.

At the end of the day, any decent employer would do thier homework and do a background check for this kind of thing.....but it would be nice if they didn't have to.

I don’t know about the UK but there are already laws regarding misrepresentation on an employment application – adding this one doesn’t make it any more relevant. Being a retired Special Forces Officer myself and having a lot of teammates in PMC’s – they get vetted quite thoroughly before they are hired. The DD214 has all the relevant information one needs to verify service in most cases. For those in the business they know the wording used to when a person served in a special mission unit on a man’s OER’s NCOER’s and or ORB’s ERB’s.

I run into people all the time who try and BS about their nature of service. Honestly, I don’t know why. There was a kid here in the VFW who had claimed to have been an Operator in a Special Mission Unit for the NSA doing special intelligence collection (which do exist BTW); his story was golden with all the crusty old Vietnam and Korean War Vets until I moved here and he couldn’t answer the most simple of questions about HALO (which is part of the requirement for most of those jobs) operations or the places in New Mexico he would have gone to do the counter surveillance training required for all these type jobs.

What eventually I discovered was that he was an IT guy. I don’t know why anyone would lie about something like that – there are many times I would have traded one of my kick ass Operators for some E4 who could fix my laptop while deployed. It’s a key role and an important one – not a shooter but who cares he did his bit and it was important. All the missions are important IMO without good mechanics my lethally loaded vehicle is fighting position, without the Intelligence guys, I have no idea where the enemy is, without arty I’d have been dead a thousand times over.

This law is a waste BTW - we can spot a liar a mile away. Who cares - now those who would benefit from it financially, there is already a law. Fraud.

Fake warriors are easy to spot. They are pathetic and their lives are their own punishment.

ETA: Ask someone why they decided to go SF if they answer with anything other than this....

Likely they are full of #.....

edit on 14/9/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

While Kerry is the epitome of douche - he did serve "in" Vietnam. In the country not just "during" the war as some have the penchant for saying around here.

There is a guy at the VFW who says he served "in" Vietnam - but what he means is "during" Vietnam. No one gives him a hard time about it.

He doesn’t do it maliciously as he will readily tell you he was at Fort Reilly, KS. It’s just he's an old country boy and not really good at English.

Sometimes there is no ill intent just a lack of intellect.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Maybe they could outlaw lying about being a famous designer/rock star/rapper someone in order to gain approval, rewards and women!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
its like where do thay draw the line" if its a small. or big lie? and what if people who have served omit that ya know? most lies are for personal gain in one form or an other .
i guess i should actuly go read the link-something stinks here

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
it’s like where do thay draw the line" if its a small. or big lie? and what if people who have served omit that ya know? most lies are for personal gain in one form or an other .
i guess i should actuly go read the link-something stinks here

I used to give a speach to new Soldiers - you can lie to your mother (tell her you are f-ing James Bond or the ever popular no Mom I can’t make it home for Xmas we have to train and I can’t say why - for all I care), lie to your girlfriend (no I can't come home tonight we are working when we are getting drunk in the team room more likely), lie to get drinks ( I am broke, I am from NY too...), or to get laid (no I have no girlfriend), I could care less. Lie to another rival team in a bar (Billy made a 1.5 mile headshot), embellish a story (there I was alone no # nothing but a grenade and a K-bar), no one cares... It a game of sorts.

However, in the profession of arms when people's lives are on the line if I find you have ever lied to me or to another man on our team about anything operational or mission related and I will personally see to it you find yourself on staff and never serve on any team again.

Never lie even if it means you failed - I can work with a mistake, I can help you if you are honest; but we have to know what that mistake is... We can recover.

Say I am lost if you are, say I have no clue what to do next, say if that’s the case, say I can't handle being first in the stack again... Whatever, we can work it out.

As weird as it may seem - lying is part of being an operator and these type lies - the ones I mentioned in the first paragraph are ways to hone the skills... It’s a unique profession full of unique characters and very charismatic people. However, they all know the line.

Bottom line - never lie to your team mates.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
very articulate post as i could not have said it better.
evrybody knows when thats guy blowing smoke up the proverbial as

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The whole idea of making yet another law is entirely for political purposes. Every unnecessary and bad law only makes big government more powerful and the people that much weaker.

Besides, sometimes it would just be fun to laugh at these idiots posing as vets or heroes.

edit on 15-9-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

This angle has me worried more than I can put into words.

1) All vets are possible domestic terrorists
2) disclaiming service is a crime

Trouble on the horizon?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by Honor93

Trouble on the horizon?

This is related to something I just posted so I'm linking it here rather than derail this thread....

Originally posted by Golf66
Our State just passed this law to help all the Veterans who didn’t retire and therefore have no ID card take advantage of some of the discounts and “free coffees” and such offered to Veterans around the area. Veteran discounts are pretty common around here. Also, will help for employment and such since you are in a since having your veteran status validated. Note this is not mandatory for the veteran - yet...

The thread is here should anyone wish to discuss the issue. Veteran Designation Available on State Drivers License/ID

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

When I got out of the service, during the remaining inactive reserve time, I would get letters from the VA about an annual check-up. At the end of the inactive reserve time, they asked if I still wanted to have the annual check-ups. I guess this service is new since the GWOT. I received an ID card from the VA. If it wasn't for that, I still have my membership cards from the multiple veterans organizations I am a member of.

I think all vets, on discharge, should be automatically in the VA for the check-ups at a minimum. This would provide a legitimate government issued veteran ID card.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Lmao....an ax to grind with democrats? Who do you think youre talking to, a republican? I have an ax to grind with almost all politicians. Dont try that partisan stuff on me, its just an illusion...please.

Regardless of whether it counts to serve in the armed forces during vietnam but not in the country, or in the country but not in the war, whatever, doesnt mean its ok to say "when i was in vietnam" every single time your mouth is opened. Im not even going to argue about it, just sayin.... If it wasnt for that i would have said nothing.

As far as this law goes. Im not sure how i feel. Its a slippery slope and next thing you know theyll ban criticizing muslims, or joking about the president...... But its disrespectful to the real vets to lie about if youre a vet or not...

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Duplicate post oops
edit on 16-9-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by Honor93

Trouble on the horizon?

thank you for noticing and yes i completely agree.
not that many vets do so, however, there are those, who prefer to retain knowledge of their service, private, from all parties, professional and personal.
how would a law such as this, directly effect them ??

many VN vets choose to not disclose their service.
several DS/GW vets won't detail their service and don't openly admit they participated.

considering all the laws available to prosecute cases of "fraudulently representing" service contributions, i cannot fathom the need for a law such as this.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join