House makes lying about military service a crime

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

While it is reprehensible for someone to do this, does there really need to be a law against questionable character?

People are still free to have questionable character, you just can’t claim to be a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient and profit from it.

I think this is a good thing and long overdue. We veterans have our own way of dealing with this crap when we encounter it. Let's just say I've met my share of Navy Seals in the bar
but I've never encountered one in the bar parking lot.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

For me it's been Rangers and SF.

And I'm just an Arty Boy.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I'm twice decorated Navy Seal. I've got 15 confirmed kills.
Come at me bro's

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

LOL, print it on a shirt and sell it and I will.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I don't get Congress. I mean, why waste our tax dollars passing legislation that the Supreme Court has already declared a violation of the First Amendment? Not that I disagree with the Stolen Valor Act, but shouldn't there be more important things for the House of Representatives to be doing besides voting on something that can not be enforced?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The motives behind this law is questionable and indeed infringe in freedom of speech regardless of the reasons been used to back such law.

Americans have freedom of speech plain and simple.

Hopefully the supreme court will take care of this matter, to protect everybody constitutional right.

If this law is held, so laws against any other infringement on freedom of speech will be held making our constitutional rights obsolete.

When laws like this are written and passed on what is now a very corrupted and full of lies government we should be very worry.

Is ok for the corporate dictatorship to lie and screw America but Americans can not.

Think people, nothing in our government is done without hidden agendas as they are not transparent when it comes to corruption.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

SCOTUS repeals this and Bernie Madoff gets a "get out of jail free card."

It's fraud.

ETA: Also check out the link I posted from the AZ Central, they pretty much say it's to court veterans.
edit on 13-9-2012 by thesungod because: see eta

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

I lost faith in our system of government a long time ago when it became apparent that we are run under a corporate dictatorship and they are doing all they can to burn Americas Constitution.

Thanks for the tip.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The motives behind this law is questionable and indeed infringe in freedom of speech regardless of the reasons been used to back such law.

Americans have freedom of speech plain and simple.

Why are there laws against impersonating a police officer then?

What’s the difference? Aren’t you free to say you’re a cop?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Groups like ThisAintHell and Pownetwork do a great job of exposing phonies.

If you suspect someone drop them a line.

thisainthell.us...
edit on 13-9-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Why are there laws against impersonating a police officer then?

Are there laws against impersonating a former police officer?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

There is if your impersonating a current police officer in an attempt to abuse power.

20 ex-police officers arrested for impersonation

Also this more about fraud than impersonation. Making profit off of.
edit on 13-9-2012 by thesungod because: forgot a word

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

This law isn’t about your right to free speech…it’s about stolen valor. There are certain ‘privileges’ granted to people who are highly decorated. A-hole’s like Xavier Alvarez shouldn’t be allowed to capitalize on the sacrifices made by heroes.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
www.fakewarriors.org...

This is the site formerly know as pownetwork.

You won't find a more comprehensive list of scumbags on the net.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Given congress doesn't seem to be able to accomplish anything to fix the current problems with the country, I am not surprised they spent time on this law.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Given congress doesn't seem to be able to accomplish anything to fix the current problems with the country, I am not surprised they spent time on this law.

Bi-partisanship, dude!!

Did you see the vote tally?

410-3!!

It was the ONLY thing the two parties could agree on! They certainly can’t agree on a budget that works!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I guess passing a budget and trying to fix the economy is too hard for these guys so they try to pass laws like this instead. They are just mad that they don`t have a monopoly on making money from lies so they are trying to cut out the competition.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

This law isn’t about your right to free speech…it’s about stolen valor. There are certain ‘privileges’ granted to people who are highly decorated. A-hole’s like Xavier Alvarez shouldn’t be allowed to capitalize on the sacrifices made by heroes.

If you thought you hated him before.

www.washingtontimes.com...

She lost her job over him.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Like a previous poster said.

Which is worse, lying with the intent to claim benefits, where the harm to society is negligible
or
lying as a politician to win an election and get thousands of benefits at great expense to the whole nation.

If the punishment for posing as soldier to get benefits is prison time,
then to scale up the damage being done, a lying politician should face execution.

Originally posted by 200Plus
I think most are missing the "with intent to benefit" part of the law.

I was a soldier for a long time. As long as there are soldiers there will be war stories. As long as there are war stories there will be lies.

It the same as fishing. No body is going to charge you for telling outlandish fishing stories. However, if you lie about catching a fish to win a tourny, you will most likely be charged.
edit on 13-9-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I am glad to see laws starting to be passed to control deceivers. Most laws in our country make it illegal to steal from someone but not many make it illegal to con someone. Civil lawsuits can be brought against deceivers but the person has to prove the other person conned them in an inappropriate way. There is rarely any criminal prosecution for these crimes. Deceivers write the laws the way that protects deceivers. This policy needs to change. Giving people their money back if you are caught is not appropriate punishment. Trouble is there are rich and powerful people behind this deceit, everyone here kind of knows that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join