It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cairo Embassy Statement Approved by Chargé d'Affaires, Published Against State Dept's Wishes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Cairo Embassy Statement Approved by Chargé d'Affaires, Published Against State Dept's Wishes

Now it seems that the controversial statement was sent along to the State Department and was apparently not "approved" !!!

I say Maybe.

I think it may have been approved and the plan backfired.

Too much confusion being generated by our top officials.

It looks more of the same "blame somebody" routine.

The Cairo Embassy's controversial statement about "abuse" of free speech was written by a senior public affairs officer and approved by the Chargé d'affaires. A draft of the statement was sent to the State Department; officials there recommended against it but the statement was posted anyway.

Larry Schwartz is the senior public affairs officer at the Cairo Embassy. He drafted the statement and oversaw staff who tweeted it out line by line on the Embassy's account. According to a detailed report the statement was approved by Deputy Chief of Mission Marc Sievers, who was placed in charge of Embassy affairs while the Egyptian Ambassador, Anne Patterson, was away in Washington, D.C.

Before the statement went public, a draft was sent to individuals at the State Department. They told Schwartz not to publish it as currently written, saying it "was not a good statement and that it needed major revisions." However, Schwartz ignored the advice and published the statement anyway. And that's when things got really interesting

The article has supporting links

I say the State Department (or possibly somebody in the White House?) said "go ahead" and now someone will be made into a scapegoat

edit on Sep-13-2012 by xuenchen because:

new topics

join