It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcán de Fuego (Volcano Of FIre) in Guatemala Causes Evacuations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

GUATEMALA CITY (AP) — Guatemala's Volcano of Fire is spewing lava and ash and the director of the national disaster agency says officials are carrying out "a massive evacuation of thousands of people" in five communities.
The statement by Alejandro Maldonado comes after the volcano spewed lava nearly 2,000 feet (600 meters) down slopes billowing with ash on Thursday.

www.google.com...
edit on 13-9-2012 by kennvideo because: title change

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Thu Sep 13 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Here is a good site with a webcam of the volcano.
Volcan de Fuego
edit on 13-9-2012 by Neysa because: (no reason given)

It doesn't look like the cam is working properly. Oh well...
edit on 13-9-2012 by Neysa because: Doh

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Neysa, I was able to pull this pic from the webcam link you provided. Thank you.

Source link

This view says it is from the south of the volcano.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

I have been staring at the cam for a few minutes and I don't think it's refreshing. Looks like it's just a still shot.
Here is the same cam on another site, for what it's worth. This one has full screen. I can't watch anymore....I'm going cross eyed. lol
webcam

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

I agree; it's not refreshing. The ash looks really close to the webcam. Maybe it was enveloped?

This AP news blurb from the NPR website has an ominous photo of the eruption.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
OP you need to do a way better job of posting a thread like this....not much info or updates I had to make one for you HERE

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
They had an earthquake in Guatemala today. Anyone know how close they are? The eq was a 4.2 ES of La Gomera.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

33,000 fleeing Guatemala volcano eruption

www.google.com...

This just released 11 min ago!!!

GUATEMALA CITY (AP) — Guatemala's head of emergency evacuations says more than 33,000 people are fleeing the eruption of a long-active volcano just outside one of the country's most famous tourist attractions.

Sergio Cabanas says the evacuees are leaving some 17 villages around the Volcano of Fire, which sits about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from the colonial city of Antigua.

The agency says the volcano spewed lava nearly 2,000 feet (600 meters) down slopes billowing with ash on Thursday.

Seismologists also say a series of explosions have been coming from the 12,346-foot-high (3,763-meter-high) volcano.

Video posted below....I know the music added doesn't do the video any justice

Add: Here is a Google Earth picture of the volcano....doesn't look like much is happening from this picture but I bet there is an update coming soon from it....

Other pics:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
OP you need to do a way better job of posting a thread like this....not much info or updates I had to make one for you HERE

I gotta say, I think it's funny. You chide the Op for making a not so exciting thread then you sensationalize your version with videos of the volcano with crappy religious music then your version gets shut down for being a duplicate thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How much warning did these folks have the old girl was gonna blow her top? Why didn't they leave sooner and how many got killed?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

I gotta say, I think it's funny. You chide the Op for making a not so exciting thread then you sensationalize your version with videos of the volcano with crappy religious music then your version gets shut down for being a duplicate thread.

I made the thread to highlight the current event taking place with late breaking news on it...I didn't sensationalize it.

The video came with the soundtrack...I did not choose it.

It was not really a duplicate thread, but a RELATED THREAD.

Btw, I haven't seen you contribute anything to this event yet...all I hear from you is a lot of complaining...stop the ignorance and start helping in contributing to the thread being discussed.
edit on 13-9-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
More videos of this event:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Pyroclastic flows being reported...pictures here...but probably taken from above vids

elperiodico.com.gt...#

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Anybody got a live feed? Those other feeds aren't working-probably overloaded.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Yay! Proff Erik Klemetti has started a new blogg on the erup­tion at Wired Sci­ence

www.wired.com...

There are vol­ca­nol­o­gists and seis­mol­o­gists who post on this blogg…so hope­fully we will get some good updates now. No doubt they will all be busy gath­er­ing info as there are a cou­ple of them down in that region.……eating pop­corn in front of their com­put­ers no doubt

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
September 14, 2012 – GUATEMALA - A long-simmering volcano outside one of the Guatemala’s most famous tourist attractions exploded into a series of powerful eruptions Thursday, hurling thick clouds of ash nearly two miles (three kilometers) high, spewing rivers of lava down its flanks and forcing the evacuation of more than 33,000 people from surrounding communities. Guatemala’s head of emergency evacuations, Sergio Cabanas, said the evacuees were leaving some 17 villages around the Volcan del Fuego, which sits about six miles southwest (16 kilometers) from the colonial city of Antigua. The ash was blowing south and authorities said Antigua was not currently in danger, although they expected the eruption to last for at least 12 more hours. The agency said the volcano spewed lava nearly 2,000 feet (600 meters) down slopes billowing with ash around Acatenango, a 12,346-foot-high (3,763-meter-high) volcano whose name translates as “Volcano of Fire.” A paroxysm of an eruption is taking place, a great volcanic eruption, with strong explosions and columns of ash, said Gustavo Chicna, a volcanologist with the National Institute of Seismology, Vulcanology, Meteorology and Hydrology. He said the cinders spewing from the volcano were settling a half-inch thick in many places. He said extremely hot gases were also rolling down the sides of the volcano, which was entirely wreathed in ash and smoke. The emergency agency warned that flights through the area could be affected. There was a general orange alert, the second-highest level, but a red alert south and southeast of the mountain, where, Chicna said, “it’s almost in total darkness.” Teresa Marroquin, disaster coordinator for the Guatemalan Red Cross, said the organization had set up 10 emergency shelters and was sending hygiene kits and water. “There are lots of respiratory problems and eye problems,” she said. –CSM

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I was just going for the event... no fuss, no muss. What's to comment? You want a comment? OK...

"I bet it made a lot of noise, wish I was there to hear it."

I'd rather the members who really know about this subject do the commenting and relating to other like events occurring. I is just the messenger here.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Fuego volcano (Guatemala): change in eruptive style: large lava flows
Friday Sep 14, 2012 09:02 AM | Age: 3 hrs
BY: T

The eruption of the volcano has undergone a change from explosive to mainly effusive over the past few hours, INSIVUMEH reports in the latest bulletin last night (22h00 local time). Instead of a large sustained ash column, there are now smaller pulsating ash emissions reaching 3-700 m height, but instead the volcano is producing large (for Fuego) lava flows between 900 and 1,000 meters long and 150 wide. The different activity is also leaving a different type of seismic signature and has remained stable over the past hours.
According to information obtained by observers nearby and security forces positioned in Morelia Panimache, one lava flow is traveling down the Ceniza canyon (SSW flank), and another towards the ravine Las Lajas and into Barranca El Jute (SE flank) where it is threatening to cut roads.
Despite the dominantly effusive activity, small pyroclastic flows still occurred as well, at a rate of about one per hour, mainly to Ceniza canyon, and producing fine fine ash columns. Ashfall was last reported only in Panimaché, Morelia, Yucales and Sangre de Cristo.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

join