It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

77-year-old Woman Dragged From Car And Arrested.

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Anyone still think that cops aren't getting more dangerous to the public? Think they have the public's best interest at heart?

I don't.

This is someone's grandmother and she was clearly explaining her inability to get out. But this cop just has to be obeyed I guess.



Peace




edit on 13-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)




posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


She was clearly able to get out of the vehicle.

Its stupid people like this that try everything they can to turn a regular traffic stop into a big scene.

Hopefully she will lose some weight by skipping Mc donalds for a few days seeing as how she will be in jail.
edit on 13-9-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Assuming her "I have to pee" excuse is legit she has two options to make her traffic stop go faster.

A: Be cooperative while explaining her situation.
B: Be resistant while explaining her situation.

A traffic stop is going to take the time it takes, you can make it easy or you can make it difficult; she could have prevented the ordeal.
edit on 9/13/2012 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


As no spring chicken himself you would think the cop would have had a little more sympathy. Kind of makes me wonder how he treats his mother.



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
They talked about this on The View today..and they had some interesting things to say.

Number 1

granny refused to hand over her license when asked for it, and tried to say her speeding was because of a bladder infection and she needed to go to the bathroom (which could have been true)..but geez..when an officer politely asks you for your drivers license and registration, for gods sake give it to him, without saying no.

Number 2

When the officer said if she didn't produce it, she would have to go to jail, to which she replied.."fine take me to jail"..or something to that effect. Then we he asked her to step out of the car she refused.

Please don't go making this out to be the "bad cop" story, when it was her who was defiant and refused to cooperate with his requests for drivers license and registration.

I agree he was too physical with her..but quite frankly granny brought it all on herself.



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I saw this earlier.

This is one of those rare videos where there is plenty of context to show that the officer was way out of hand.

She was doing 66 in a 50 mph zone and clearly didn't do anything to warrant that sort of treatment.

Still, this is just one isolated dope... not a reflection on cops in general.



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
As much as i hate the old bill(which is alot btw), this is very tame, and I can't really see anything dissproportionate here. he asked many times for her to show her license, he asked many times for her to step out. she said "no" a few times and he dragged her out of the car. had she shown her license to start with, none of that would have happened

yes, she's an elderly lady, and was probably very shaken by her experience, but it was an easily avoidable one.



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This could have been handled better by both parties. No one at fault here imo. The lady refused and the cop refused to hear her BS. End of story she went to jail.



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
They talked about this on The View today..and they had some interesting things to say.

Number 1

granny refused to hand over her license when asked for it, and tried to say her speeding was because of a bladder infection and she needed to go to the bathroom (which could have been true)..but geez..when an officer politely asks you for your drivers license and registration, for gods sake give it to him, without saying no.

Number 2

When the officer said if she didn't produce it, she would have to go to jail, to which she replied.."fine take me to jail"..or something to that effect. Then we he asked her to step out of the car she refused.

Please don't go making this out to be the "bad cop" story, when it was her who was defiant and refused to cooperate with his requests for drivers license and registration.

I agree he was too physical with her..but quite frankly granny brought it all on herself.






There is absolutely no reason for this cop to handle her physically IMO. Sure she was refusing. So what? Was she a danger to him so that he had to use physical strength on an old lady? No.

He was the one that could have tried some patience but after the first "No" from her it's clear he didn't like that one bit and then it escalates.

Oh, and the view?


Peace



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I saw this video on the news last night...all I have to say is the cop over-reacted and the lady did a poor job of acting



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Clear to see by the replies so far that people are using their intelligence for response. Muchly appreciated!

Although I am of the very strong opinion that this is just another instance of "Me Cop...You Obey", I do appreciate the other side.

Star for all...


Peace



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 





There is absolutely no reason for this cop to handle her physically IMO. Sure she was refusing. So what? Was she a danger to him so that he had to use physical strength on an old lady? No.


I did not like to see the physical way he handled her, but he asked her twice for the drivers license and registration, and told her what would happen to her if she didn't comply with that request. She bltantly said go ahead to him, and when he asked her to get out of the car she wouldn't.

How should have he handled it.. called more officers on the case?

She should have handed over the drivers license and when he asked her to get out of the car when she said to go ahead and arrest her..she should have gotten out on her own.

Because she is an old woman she has the right to blatantly disregard a policeman's orders?

Your cop bashing is getting a little old Jude11..though I will agree some deserve it at times.

And yes I watch The View on occasion... deal with it.

So tell me Jude..how do you think he should have handled it, when she refused to get out of the car?




edit on 13-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
reply to post by jude11
 





There is absolutely no reason for this cop to handle her physically IMO. Sure she was refusing. So what? Was she a danger to him so that he had to use physical strength on an old lady? No.


I did not like to see the physical way he handled her, but he asked her twice for the drivers license and registration, and told her what would happen to her if she didn't comply with that request. She bltantly said go ahead to him, and when he asked her to get out of the car she wouldn't.

How should have he handled it.. called more officers on the case?

She should have handed over the drivers license and when he asked her to get out of the car when she said to go ahead and arrest her..she should have gotten out on her own.

Because she is an old woman she has the right to blatantly disregard a policeman's orders?

Your cop bashing is getting a little old Jude11..though I will agree some deserve it at times.

And yes I watch The View on occasion... deal with it.

So tell me Jude..how do you think he should have handled it, when she refused to get out of the car?




edit on 13-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)


My cop bashing is nothing compared to the people bashing perpetrated by the cops...more and more often these days.

How would I handle it?

Maybe take her plate number and deal with it later? Simple to see she was no danger to anyone and he could have dropped by her house or even mailed a ticket as is done instead of traffic stops in cities..

Sometimes a cop has to think differently in a situation and not go on his programmed route. My way or nothing doesn't always work to diffuse a situation. Maybe talk to her for a minute or two in order to establish a friendly back and forth? Works wonders with many other similar situations.

BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic about the view either.

Peace



edit on 13-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Huh...Since when and where do cops wear cameras now? I am on the fence with this and this video.

Is this a good thing keeping police honest or will it increasingly condition us to get used to confrontations and power control resulting in an arrest or worse?



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 





My cop bashing is nothing compared to the people bashing perpetrated by the cops...more and more often these days. How would I handle it? Maybe take her plate number and deal with it later? Simple to see she was no danger to anyone and he could have dropped by her house or even mailed a ticket as is done instead of traffic stops in cities.. Sometimes a cop has to think differently in a situation and not go on his programmed route. My way or nothing doesn't always work to diffuse a situation. BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic about the view either.


I agree with you that there are many instances of cops bashing, and its deplorable..but quite frankly..when someone taunts an officer by refusing a simple request, and then saying go ahead and arrest me..do you really think just walking away and sending a ticket in the mail suffices ?

I wish he hadn't had gotten so physical with her, but it would have never happened had she just started pulling out the drivers license and registration as soon as she was pulled over, like most sane folks do.

When I have been stopped for speeding, I automatically go for my license and registration before the cop even gets to my door. I would never be so bold as to say "when I have the time", and further when I am told I would be arrested if i didn't comply..I wouldn't NOT get out of the car..after saying.."go ahead", and expect that the cop would just walk away and send me the ticket in the mail.



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 





Sometimes a cop has to think...


lol, jude,
put the bottle down.



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage
 



Huh...Since when and where do cops wear cameras now? I am on the fence with this and this video.


Police cams


Is this a good thing keeping police honest or will it increasingly condition us to get used to confrontations and power control resulting in an arrest or worse?


If the police are going to do this, I think they should be required to disclose the fact that you are being videotaped (maybe the do?)

It's safe to say that they are saving these videos in a database somewhere in conjunction with other personal information.

I wonder what they do with videos and other personal information involving incidents that don't result in a violation?

License, registration, video = tracking database?



posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by jude11
 





Sometimes a cop has to think...


lol, jude,
put the bottle down.


No,

I got my Jack and it's my right!

For now anyways...


Peace



posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I saw an interview with the womans grand daughter and lawyer... It seems the video was not shown in it's intirety and that the woman asked the officer to giver her a minute to get her documentation. From experience with the elderly community they are easily frazzled and its compounded by physical disabilities. There are different ways to approach different situations, and IMO I really think that if the officer had given her a chance to calm down and collect herself things would have turned out much more favorably. The elderly can be quick to anger and get overly anxious. I really don't think she presented any danger and dragging an elderly woman out of the car was overkill. What if he injured her? What that be justified just bc she was emotional and wasn't movi g quick enough to please the officer? There is definitely a time and place for an LE show of force... This however wasn't it. Whenever I've dealt with a difficult elderly person I remind myself of how I would want others to treat my grandparents and act accordingly. IMO there are many LEOs that simply don't give a crap and will use unnecessary force simply bc it's within their right to do so. Just bc you can, doesn't mean you should. The treatment of the elderly on the whole is deplorable. Causing bodily harm over a minor speeding violation and a visibly upset elderly woman is shocking that so many are of the mindset of oh well she got what was coming to her. There's no dignity left in this country.



posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStarGazer
I saw an interview with the womans grand daughter and lawyer... It seems the video was not shown in it's intirety and that the woman asked the officer to giver her a minute to get her documentation. From experience with the elderly community they are easily frazzled and its compounded by physical disabilities. There are different ways to approach different situations, and IMO I really think that if the officer had given her a chance to calm down and collect herself things would have turned out much more favorably. The elderly can be quick to anger and get overly anxious. I really don't think she presented any danger and dragging an elderly woman out of the car was overkill. What if he injured her? What that be justified just bc she was emotional and wasn't movi g quick enough to please the officer? There is definitely a time and place for an LE show of force... This however wasn't it. Whenever I've dealt with a difficult elderly person I remind myself of how I would want others to treat my grandparents and act accordingly. IMO there are many LEOs that simply don't give a crap and will use unnecessary force simply bc it's within their right to do so. Just bc you can, doesn't mean you should. The treatment of the elderly on the whole is deplorable. Causing bodily harm over a minor speeding violation and a visibly upset elderly woman is shocking that so many are of the mindset of oh well she got what was coming to her. There's no dignity left in this country.


I thought about this quite some time after I posted yesterday , and I do feel I was a little too harsh in my judgement.

That being said doing 66mph in a 50 mph zone is a little excessive , and is dangerous to other citizens. Having to go to the bathroom is not an excuse to put others at risk, and knowing she had a bladder problem should have been reason enough for her to make sure she went to the bathroom when she could instead of putting others in danger.

I do wish the police officer would have said this to her nicely, and not let his ego get in the way. Yet she clearly said to him twice, to wait for her to get the ID. Telling a police officer"when I have time", when asked for driving ID , while you try to explain that you need to hurry because of a bladder problem isn't so smart, and then telling him to go ahead and arrest her when he told her that if she didn't comply with his request is ludicrous.

I really wish this wouldn't have happened to the old lady, and the cop could have dealt with it in a better way, yet granny was silly to be doing 66 in a 50 mph zone, and expecting an officer to listen to her excuse instead of giving him the proper ID when requested.




top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join