It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslims: Why is drawings and such of Muhammed a no-no, but Jesus is good?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
A simple question based fully out of ignorance. But if both are prophets, why is someone drawing a pic of Muhammed a taboo, but its all good if someone makes Christ a character on southpark for instance.

How do rules apply to one and not the other...

and if they are equal, why isn't their mega freakout rage going on when someone draws christ, or crosses, etc...

Simple answers please..no quoting..but not guessing either, actual information in a nutshell would be appreciated. Just wanting to understand.

Also, what is the actual issue with you personally if your neighbor draws muhammed? by seeing it, does that mean you suddenly go to hell, or Muhammed loses the power of flight or some such? there has to be consequences to someone or something, else it would be basically uncared for (like hearing about someone sinned..well, its not you, its their choice, and their punishment sort of thing)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Just as if they were to paint pictures of Jesus having sexual intercourse or some such, we would have problems with it because of the cultural effect. It's disrespectful and a slap in the face.

So if we were to draw Muhammed, we're playing by their rules because that's their idol. And just drawing him is a no-no in their country. Their views on it don't change just because it's a different country...especiially when we don't share the same reverence for him. It's extremely disrespectful in their eyes.

If they have to respect our religion, then we have to respect theirs. That's the bottom line. What's not to get?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
if i understand it correctly it`s because muhammed isn`t a god and they don`t want people worshiping him, by having pictures and images of him,instead of worshiping god.
jesus claimed to be god so i guess it`s ok to have images and pictures of god.
if you think about it, it does make sense. look at the catholics for example they worship and pray to mary and she isn`t god,i guess they dont want the same thing to happen to their religion, people worship prophets instead of worshiping god is probably a big no no.
edit on 13-9-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
'cause simple people don't understand that all Abrahamic Faiths are the same God, same Jesus, same religion.

Just different levels of violence, same level of nonsense.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I can't find my glasses to look up the exact verse for you, but the bible says you're not supposed to have images of what's in Heaven- and I assume that to mean God, Jesus or any Angels. There are no pictures on my walls or statues in my home or yard of any of the above.

Edit: However what other people display, draw, whatever is THEIR business. It's not my place to judge them.

edit on 13-9-2012 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Because they may actually take their faith seriously and know that the christians do not? Maybe who they accept as Jesus Christ isn't who everyone else accepts as Jesus Christ?

Isn't it within the christian bible, within the 10 commandments:

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Makes you wonder, who are all the Catholic / Christian churches really depicting if it is against their biblical laws to show god / jesus / etc.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think it has more to do with the fact that most Muslims practice their religion and that most Christians do not, they take it with a grain of salt, wear a cross, say Jesus is Lord and expect to go to heaven while going to work, having sex, spending money and consuming in excess. Most Christians i know claim to be Christians yet have never even read the old or new testament.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by QUANTUMGR4V17Y
Because they may actually take their faith seriously and know that the christians do not? Maybe who they accept as Jesus Christ isn't who everyone else accepts as Jesus Christ?

Isn't it within the christian bible, within the 10 commandments:

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Makes you wonder, who are all the Catholic / Christian churches really depicting if it is against their biblical laws to show god / jesus / etc.

Well, if Aunt Edna is in heaven, does that mean you gotta bin all the pictures of her?
Also...fish? no pics or engravings of fish?

What a petty deity.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphaskunk
having sex,

Pretty sure having sex isn't a sin..unless god is trying to basically end the human race.

in which case...he failed.

Context may be required on that one.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
IF anyone has actually seen this film thats causing all this trouble... could they post it?

Kinda reminds me of a south park episode... I think it was called "cartoon wars" if anyone wants to try to find it...

Maybe that episode was a hidden prediction of what was to come?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

A simple question based fully out of ignorance. But if both are prophets, why is someone drawing a pic of Muhammed a taboo, but its all good if someone makes Christ a character on southpark for instance.

Sure its ok to make South Park cartoons depicting Jesus.
But are Christians ok with it? Do they laugh along with non-Christians and declare that mocking Jesus in cartoons is ok?

Find out for yourself. I doubt they are ok with Jesus being mocked.

and if they are equal, why isn't their mega freakout rage going on when someone draws christ, or crosses, etc...

a)Might have something to do with the secular nature of Christian societies in North America and Europe. Of course, thats my personal opinion.

b)Crack open a bible and you will see that the "mega freakout rages" are part of the religion of the people of the Old Testament. Blasphemy is a law punishable by death....according to the bible. Dont tell me Christians are ok with non-christians mocking their religion.

Also, what is the actual issue with you personally if your neighbor draws muhammed? by seeing it, does that mean you suddenly go to hell,

Looks like people, mostly non-muslims only draw Mohammad for the sole purpose of insulting him...and then say "its free speech man" .

Its simply decent behavior to avoid doing or saying "X".... when you know a certain group of people are offended by "X".

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
Its simply decent behavior to avoid doing or saying "X".... when you know a certain group of people are offended by "X".

I understand the spirit of what your saying, but technically, no matter what you say, you are going to offend someone.
Hell, you suggest we go get a burger, and vegans flip out, say its a sunny and beautiful day and you got both goths and environmentalists yelling at you.
People choose to be offended. I cannot make someone be offended..its a simple choice to either ignore someone, or decide to put energy and emotional weight into someone elses thoughts/actions.

So, decent behavior doesn't count here, because no matter what, your being indecent to someone somewhere.

Now, there are differences between the two religions
If my atheist butt decides to make Jesus riding a flying dog with a sword in hand for a giggle, a christian will roll their eyes and say its not very respectful.
If I replace Jesus with Muhammed, my head will detatch from itself.
But
If I show the muslim the pic of jesus, they will react as a christian reacts, saying its disrespectful.

I had a muslim friend I worked with. She was iranian and brought in a book, showing me the inside of a mosque in Iran. there was these beautiful bits of arts. Jesus and Moses both were pictured there..so they do see it differently. all 3 are considered prophets and equals in regards to their religion, yet only muhammed makes them go bonkers...

I have no understanding of why this is, and so far, this thread isn't making a lot of sense outside of personal opinions...again, muslims have pics of jesus and moses in their temples...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Well, if Aunt Edna is in heaven, does that mean you gotta bin all the pictures of her?

What a petty deity.

I've never read anything in the bible that says you go to Heaven when you die. It says something about being in a dreamless, sleep-like state until the day of resurrection and judgement. Of course this is my interpretation and I'm sure someone will come along to disagree.

Anyway, the way I see it pics of Aunt Edna and the fish would be okay. But I could be wrong. Some things in the bible are hard to interpret as we haven't read them in the original language they were written in and can't be sure if the translations are exact. I just don't keep images of God, Jesus or Angels.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

What a petty deity.

I've never read anything in the bible that says you go to Heaven when you die. It says something about being in a dreamless, sleep-like state until the day of resurrection and judgement. Of course this is my interpretation and I'm sure someone will come along to disagree.

Anyway, the way I see it pics of Aunt Edna and the fish would be okay. But I could be wrong. Some things in the bible are hard to interpret as we haven't read them in the original language they were written in and can't be sure if the translations are exact. I just don't keep images of God, Jesus or Angels.

Luke:
42 And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" 43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

Today means today. Christ was a human when discussing these..so human terms apply.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I just don't keep images of God, Jesus or Angels.

It would be impossible to have images of god (don't remember him stopping in for a photo session lately), Jesus (bit pre-cameras, and the debate currently is what color he even is), or angels (unless you think ghost pics are angels...or hollywood fairy typed winged things probably are, even though its historically inaccurate).

Also, what is in heaven? perhaps there are apples in heaven, or grapes...in which case...images of those are what is also in heaven...etc.

If you want my opinion (I know you do, your dying for it).

I am all about the ancient astronaut theory..and the images they were discussing were blueprints of their tech...bad tech, don't copy it and steal it! no diagrams of the heaven machine, else you will learn.

Which brings me to the stargate series where the servants (jaffa) of the gould were forbidden to learn of their gods "magics".

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

But the don't have respect for the Christian religion. Look what they do to Christians in the Sudan or Egypt. Read Hadith 9:4.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Well sure, Jesus said that to the guy that repented on the cross next to him. And I.m sure he took the guy with him. There are saints in Heaven (under the alter of the Lord it says). What about the majority of people? The day of resurrection and judgement. It says the dead in Christ shall rise first. Don't ask me to quote- can't find my glasses.

Just saw your other post: I don't have images of any of them for the reason that they would be graven images. I don't think they ever had a family portrait made at Sears or Olin Mills.

Also, I did want to hear your opinion! I don't discount the Ancient Alien theory. I don't think "The Big Guy" was a local.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Well sure, Jesus said that to the guy that repented on the cross next to him. And I.m sure he took the guy with him. There are saints in Heaven (under the alter of the Lord it says). What about the majority of people? The day of resurrection and judgement. It says the dead in Christ shall rise first. Don't ask me to quote- can't find my glasses.

Just saw your other post: I don't have images of any of them for the reason that they would be graven images. I don't think they ever had a family portrait made at Sears or Olin Mills.

Also, I did want to hear your opinion! I don't discount the Ancient Alien theory. I don't think "The Big Guy" was a local.

Jesus never spoke of judgement day overall outside of the day you die being your judgement day. He did speak however if basically how nobody that is with him (aka, follows him, believes or whatnot) will experience any darkness or loss, etc..ever, and the whole sleeping and waiting would be darkness.

Judgement day is the fevered dreams of a few folks whom thought it a good idea to suggest it would be some epic universal event, with galaxys melting and all sorts and out of the bazillion galaxys, God would pop on over to earth, this one small planet on the fringe of a med/small galaxy because...this world rocks, the uncountable other worlds were just props for our pretty lightshow.
Judgement day as a day in the future makes zero sense, and is not something Christ preaches..but many people tend to follow peter or paul verses what jesus taught.

Everyday is judgement day, every thought and word is judged, however, you have say in it also..you will be measured by your own stick of judgement...this is ultimately what I got from the speeches recorded (and altered no doubt).

Keep in mind, I may have missed something, but I do believe Jesus's view on judgement day is equal to that of homosexuality..aka, he didn't weigh in outside of broader concerns (addiction to sex being harming moreso than any specific acts).

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

So, decent behavior doesn't count here, because no matter what, your being indecent to someone somewhere.

I see decent behavior everytime I go out for a meal with my buddies.
I abstain from pork... but that doesn't mean I need to distance myself from friends who eat pork. I don't take offense to the fact that they eat pork...and don't give them my opinion on as to why pork must be avoided.
....and they don't feel the need to question why I don't eat pork... or taunt me for not eating pork.
Its all about giving the other person his space.

Now, there are differences between the two religions
If my atheist butt decides to make Jesus riding a flying dog with a sword in hand for a giggle, a christian will roll their eyes and say its not very respectful.
If I replace Jesus with Muhammed, my head will detatch from itself.

But... just why would you want to do anything of that sort for giggles?

Also as for christians just rolling their eyes at it.... its all about timeframe and context.
If you did drew Jesus riding a dog during the middle ages you would quickly find out what it feels like to ride one of these....

As for the muslims, you can bet they wont take insulting images of Jesus very lightly, as muslims revere Jesus as well. So its pretty obvious how they would react to a similar image of Mohammad. Again, this depends who you show that picture to. A miltiaman with little or no education in some third world country might react violently. These are the types who participated in the cartoon riots. However, a more educated family man muslim with better living standards would also take offense, but not violently.

So don't make the mistake of painting everybody with the same brush.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Medievel catholics were extremists in every sense of the word. To the point they forgot Yeshua preached to be merciful and forgive. Not a whole lot of forgiveness and mercy going around in those feudal days. The dark ages was a very assbackwards time for the church, that primarily because the poor and peasantry were forbidden to learn to read and write and it was a "mortal" sin for non clergy to read the bible (you could be put to death for it). Coldblooded people like Justinian and Theodora definately didn't help the matter either. Justinian had a flair for murdering relatives who could challenge him for control.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join