It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so it happen now what? Speak a different language.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
theoretically we will say the world wide SHTF event happened. you are with a small group of fellow survivors just trying to put your lives back together. Another group keeps raiding you trying to take what you work so hard to get. one night you get lucky and capture one of the raiders. YA you go team. He is tied up but in ear shot of you. he hears your next days plans and worse then that he hears ware your getting all the good stuff from.

That night after everybody is asleep he is able to slip his bonds and get away. He brings the intel back to his group who then beat your group to all the honey holes and bleed them dry. your group is forced to find new places to scavenge. you find several better spots and vow come hell or high water to keep them secret.

The other group go thru there newly gotten goods quickly and before you know it are back to raiding you again. This time you are smart you have thought ahead knowing they would do that you sat up several live man traps. you catch another of there group. This guy gets tied better searched better and you do one more thing, you speak in a different language. Among your group you got lucky and there are a couple of Nerds. they teach the whole group a long dead language that most if not any one will know. You use this language to plan your next outing to your new spots. your prisoner is left not knowing understanding a word your saying.

You have several choices for theses languages. I at first thought of Klingon but it is to limited my house guest suggested Gallic witch I think is a much better choice. what ever your choice is make sure it is a mostly dead or made up language so anybody overhearing it will not understand a word. learn it and teach it to a select few before you need it. you should learn a few and keep one to your self and only teach it if its needed if your primary gets out after the SHTF event and you survive.
edit on 13-9-2012 by angryamerican because: spelling (will I ever learn
)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I quite like the idea of building a new language that regular people can't understand, I like the post. But I can't help thinking, surely you would just speak out of earshot of the enemy?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
or kill him first,no need for a language when the gat does the talking

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It happened in your imagination, so you are planning accordingly to what you can paint in your head. The way I see it is when SHTF for example a very big earthquake, and you quickly try to get your bug out bag to run and you hurry downstairs and fall and die. Your original plan didn't work out so well huh. It's good to be prepared, but not in too extreme cases when any second you can die. Btw, I didn't read your thread, but I will in a few minutes.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I was thinking Klingon probably would be best, it's always interested me. I wonder why you discounted it as being limited?! We could make up some more words if we needed?

I bet it would be tricky to learn though - a lot of weird mouth movements and 'being sick' sounds. I'm tempted to go and find some YouTube to learn the basics, an amusing (if useless) skill to have.

But after reflection, I vaguely remember some documentaries of almost extinct tribes/civilizations with languages that are dying out and it seems such a shame. I think we should choose one and rejuvenate it.

Let's make a plan......

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It would take a while for me to learn another language. It would be easier to shoot the guy so I wouldn't have to deal with him again. If tshtf occurs and someone who is armed is trying to steal from you, it is appropriate to use deadly force. The body will make good bear bait.

I am just kidding here on some of this......Bears shouldn't be fed human meat.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Just remember not every group is out there to kill. Its killing that put us into this whole mess to begin with. The theoretical group I am talking about they would tie him close enough to the fire to get heat because they are not cruel. as some seem to be.
edit on 13-9-2012 by angryamerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Kill them all and let God sort them out?

Not the best plan for the survival of the group. Admittedly, while they are attacking your group you shoot to kill and don’t look for prisoners. But if you do happen to end up with a prisoner or two, the best thing you can do is to try to turn them to your way of thinking. No group will survive long unless it increases in numbers.

On average there will be three types of survival groups out there, those that prepared and have weapons, ammo and food stocks; those who have food stocks and for one reason or another do not have weapons; and those who have weapons but no food stocks.

Those with both weapons and food are in the best position initially. Those with food stocks only are setting themselves up as targets for those with weapons only.

The idea of knowing a little known language does help in a situation where your group is a target of a foreign military or even a domestic paramilitary group, it can be used over radio communications like it was during WWII and even in camp if you think there is a chance that someone is listening.

S&F for the OP for bringing this up.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
ESPERANTO!!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Maybe I should of put in my OP That my Group has firearms to But the killing has to stop somewhere and when you are trying to grow your group you don't want to kill a able body person.

I have to get back into the swing of posting on ATS again sorry about that. Ive been lost for a while but I am mostly back now.

The plan with capturing the enemy alive is to turn them to your side by feeding and treating them better then there previous group so they will be more then willing to be a productive part of your group and help you scavenge. Of course they will have to be watched for a long time until they can be trusted. But if you treat them like humans they will want to stay and help. In this way you will build yourself a sizable force to defend yourself and your supplies.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Foraging and scavenging will only work for a limited time. You have to plan on setting up a base of operations and actually planting and harvesting, then preserving food for storage, especially in the north where I live.
You MUST be prepaired to defend your base with deadly force.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Combat troops use sign language.

Most bands "travelers" develop a jargon or cant. Gypsies have Roma, The 'Irish' can speak Shelta. Mafia used to use Sicilian. The Boers, Amish and "Pennsylvania Dutch" have all preserved versions of Low German that is unintelligible to English-only speakers.

You don't need a full-blown language, unless your group wants to recite The Illiad whilst sitting around the campfire and roasting marshmallows.

A hundred words would do the trick. Heck the police only have a hundred "10-codes."

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

You don't need to learn another language, You just need the testicular fortitude to do what needs to be done.
If you capture someone who has been raiding and endangering your group then you get whatever information from them you need and then you get rid of the threat permanently.

Learning Klingon...lmao

Just do what has to be done!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Like brings like It has to stop some ware. No growth means death, and death is permanent Look how many groups thru out history have already died because they did not take others in. groups of people have either killed off all there enemy's with out mercy or the two have killed each other off with out mercy. Just because the SHTF doesn't mean we have to forget our past.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
ESPERANTO!!

Igpay Atinlay !!

top topics

join