It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola death toll doubles to 31 in Congo: WHO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Ebola death toll doubles to 31 in Congo: WHO

in.reuters.com

An outbreak of Ebola in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo was not under control and the number of people killed by the disease has more than doubled to 31 in the past week, the World Health Organisation said on Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnbc.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
New Ebola Outbreak...14 Confirmed Dead...Possible Red Alert
Prisoner with suspected case of Ebola escapes from hospital in Uganda

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The WHO previously declared this outbreak to be "under control" but in their own words as of now it definitely isn't. If the numbers have doubled chances are more infections are bound to show up. They better get their quarantine efforts into high gear or else this could end up getting bad.

I hope this doesn't end up spreading and or mutating into something more contagious.

This story just broke so stay tuned for updates

in.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Hopefully this disease will continue to keep burning itself out like it has done in the past. However, these things can mutate and even though they say this is not easily transmitted I remember reading an article where a man cought it from a stolen cell phone. If the virus can live on a cell phone and then infect a person it can probably live on door handles, pens, counters, etc....

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
From the original source in my OP:

The disease has stricken people in the towns of Isiro and Viadana in Orientale province.

Does anyone know how far these towns are from eachother? I have searched without any luck, but if these towns are distant from eachother I would imagine that any towns or villages in between are also at risk and would need to be quarantined as well.

I wonder if this is the same strain as the previous outbreak in Uganda? If it is the same outbreak then this outbreak has made some mileage over the last month.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

www.congo-pages.org...

I found the province it is in the north east corner I cannot find a map of the particular villages in the province. It looks like this province borders Uganda.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This is a truly terrible disease. I remember reading a book about it from Robin Cook that I believe was called Hot Zone...and I found it truly terrifying. It ravages the body and the final death result is essentially a liquifying of the organs, and as the person dies blood and matter evacuates itself from every opening in the body. Terrible. Fortunately, as someone above mentioned, it works so quickly that it burns itself out. This is the problem with diseases like AIDS, the damned incubation period and asymptomatic lulls are so lengthy that it allows for years of transferrence. Diseases that hit like a sledgehammer, such as Ebola, are actually "better" (I hope you all understand what I mean when I say that), in as much as they produce symptoms and death very quickly, thereby limiting the pathogens ability to spread amongst the populace.

May God bless and care for those who suffer this terrible demise. It is survivable, but has something in the order of 90% mortality, maybe more. I could wiki it, but hey, I'm drinking coffee in the morning watching my soap opera (Supernatural...yes, I'm a huge nerd, I am after all on ATS)...so I'll leave it to another. Peace all...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
From the original source in my OP:

The disease has stricken people in the towns of Isiro and Viadana in Orientale province.

Does anyone know how far these towns are from eachother? I have searched without any luck, but if these towns are distant from eachother I would imagine that any towns or villages in between are also at risk and would need to be quarantined as well.

I wonder if this is the same strain as the previous outbreak in Uganda? If it is the same outbreak then this outbreak has made some mileage over the last month.

Isiro is 28.03 miles SE of Viadana

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

May God bless and care for those who suffer this terrible demise. It is survivable, but has something in the order of 90% mortality, maybe more. I could wiki it, but hey, I'm drinking coffee in the morning watching my soap opera (Supernatural...yes, I'm a huge nerd, I am after all on ATS)...so I'll leave it to another. Peace all...

Here is a little bit of information for you while you enjoy your coffee

(A quote of mine from a post in a different thread)

There are currently no proven Ebola treatment options that can kill the Ebola virus. Ebola treatment focuses on providing relief of Ebola symptoms as the body fights the virus. This is called supportive care.

Death occurs in 50 to 90 percent of Ebola cases. Ebola research scientists do not understand why some patients are able to recover from Ebola hemorrhagic fever and others are not; however, it is known that Ebola victims usually have not developed a significant immune response to the Ebola virus at the time of death.

ebola.emedtv.com...

If you get Ebola, you better hope you fall into the percentage of people who are able to survive. The survival rate depends on the strain. They claim that the strain in this outbreak is Ebola-Sudan.

The UN World Health Organization has identified the strain in Kibaale as Ebola-Sudan, the same strain responsible for some 425 infections and 224 deaths in Uganda in 2000-2001 and one death in 2011; another strain, Ebola-Bundibugyo - named after a western Ugandan district - killed some 42 people in the country in 2007-2008.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 13-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here is the Nav' for the two towns if you'd like to see them.

Isiro 2°46'20.22"N 27°36'29.75"E

Viadana 2°52'26.26"N 27°12'41.43"E

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I think everyone knows this virus is pretty deadly and that the death is not pretty. Basically your insides melt. Some people do survive apparently. My question is what kind of after effects do the survivors experience? It seems like this could do a lot of irreparable damage to the body even if one survives. Or do they recover completely with no after effects? If you had it and survived would it be worth it or would you be in such a miserable condition that you would have preferred death? I looked it up...

At lease this survivor appeared to have a full recovery

www.nytimes.com...

It does appear that this particular strai was one of the weaker ones with about a 50% mortality rate though. They state that there are four strains and the most lethal one has a 90% mortality rate. This article was written back in 2000 yet it seems like not much has changed as far as knowledge about this disease. The article mentions an outbreak in 1994... So it looks like this moster is here to stay and it is probably only a matter of time before there is a big outbreak.
edit on 13-9-2012 by crazyguy2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Thank you my friend. I will now continue sipping on my coffee. Lucifer is about to rise, and Sam is hurtin' (I swear I'm not gay! Ha!). Peace...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It now looks as if there is a valid fear of it spreading to surrounding areas:

Ebola outbreak in DRC risks spreading to towns: WHO

An outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo risks spreading to major towns if not brought under control soon after the death toll doubled within a week, the World Health Organisation warned on Thursday.

Normally they are pretty hush-hush about this stuff and will not admit the risk until it is a very serious situation so this may be a lot worse than they are letting on.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Wasn't Ebola manufactured by Israel as a means to take over all of Africa?

I know that sounds crazy, and I can't substantiate it in any way, but typically Israel is at the root of eveything bad that happens.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Given Congo is the home of inserting firearms into females' reproductive tracts and pulling the trigger, Ebola might be the very 'cleansing' the place needs...

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
Wasn't Ebola manufactured by Israel as a means to take over all of Africa?

I know that sounds crazy, and I can't substantiate it in any way, but typically Israel is at the root of eveything bad that happens.

Does everything around here have to be a conspiracy theory?

Ebola is a mononegavirus (family: filovirus), a viral hemorrhagic fever closely related to Marburg and in fact is clinically indistinguishable from Marburg. (Measles, mumps, and rabies are also mononegaviruses.) Bats are the mostly likely candidate as the reservoir--the mortality rate among other animals that test positive for it, including monkeys and chimps, is way too high for them to be the virus's natural reservoir.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
We will have to keep our eye on this, fellow ATSers!

While Ebola is very deadly and very scary, sometimes other factors outside of the disease/virus/etc it's self leads to it being hard to contain. It's known that many of these countries don't have running water in some areas, sometimes there isn't even proper sanitation facilities in hospitals (medical incinerator) and then on top of that you have to fight local customs as well. (e.g. washing and handling of the dead, a practice that is known to spread this disease.)

I don't think there's a terribly high chance of this mutating into something airborne, but anything can happen in nature. MSF, the WHO, Redcross and like groups know what they are doing....look how they clamped down on the outbreak in Uganda! In any case, I have said this before in other Ebola threads: Pray, think positive thoughts/send positive energy/etc or whatever you do those healthcare workers "in the hot zone" down there. That's a kinda of job that takes some courage...and compassion.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Use any means nessescary..

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
How weird. I had a dream last night and the last words I heard were "congo"

0.o

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundowner

It might not be "ariborne" but what about the guy who caught it from the cell phone he stole from a victim? If it can survive on a cell phone it can easily spread by hand to hand contact such as from handshakes, maybe hugging someone, kissing a cheek as is custom in many countries.... If this disease did break out of africa to a populated area it probably could spread pretty far despite not being "airborne". If it does mutate to an airborne variety it would be so much worse... even if it lost some of its mortality in becoming airborne it would probably have one of 50-70% (it could stay at 90% or worse though)... So lets say it was in New York with a population of 8.2 million people... Depending on how easily it were to spread being airborne if 60% of the people there got it and 65% of those died it would be 3.1 million dead alone... If it were more virulent then it could be as much as 6 million dead in that one city alone. Plus the fact that this would overwhelm emergency centers, hospitals, police, fire rescue, etc... There woudl likely be a lot of other secondary deaths as well... Imagine someone is having a heart attack or was in a major accident but can't get an ambulance or other medical aid because the hospital is already overwhelmed with the dead and dying? Not to mention a host of other easily treatible conditions that could be fatal if left unchecked. Heck even if I had been shot in the gut I might think twice about seeking medical aid at a hospital for fear of being near a lot of infected individuals and catching it.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Sorry to be pedantic, but how can a death toll double to 31? Was there half a death somewhere? Because 31/2 is 15.5.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join