The Raid: Redemption - Maybe The Most Incredible Action Movie I've Seen

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I looked back pretty far and didn't see any mention of this movie, so I figure someone needs to spread the word.

The Raid: Redemption is an Indonesian movie about a SWAT team going into a tenement filled with gang members and other violent criminals. Their mission is to take out the a mob boss named Tama. Once they're inside, things naturally go wrong and Tama alerts the buildings to the police presence, offering a bounty on all dead cops. What follows is almost non-stop action.

I'm being serious. A break in the action longer than three minutes is not common. First we're treated to a massive gun fight, then a little melee weapon (mostly butterfly knives) interlude and then the rest of the movie is some of the most impressive martial arts I've seen (I believe it's called Silat). Here's one of the shorter fights (Note: This clip's subtitles aren't in english, but that's not necessary at all):

The action is incredibly brutal. In fact, the movie contains TWO of the most brutal kills I've seen in film. Now, don't think this is something I get off on, I'm just kind of impressed given that most action movies are "shoot a man, he falls down." In fact, if the movie has one problem it's that the endless onslaught of ridiculous violence becomes a little fatiguing after awhile. Maybe it's too much quick motion for the brain to process in such a short amount of time or maybe it just gets a little boring after so much. Either way, the final fight is interesting enough to pull it all out.

Even if you don't like foreign movies, it's okay, because if you like action movies you can love this without reading a single sub-title. Normally, I'd dislike the complete lack of character development or...really any character at all, but that's not what this film is doing.

I found The Raid: Redemption is a Blockbuster Express machine, but I've also seen it in Red Box. If you don't want to rent it, most of the fights can be found on YouTube.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
We rented it from redbox and a couple of the deaths I had to cover my eyes lol. (but I'm kind of a squeamish wimp so w/e) It definitely was almost non stop action and the martial arts was really impressive

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Agreed, and as it was made by a welsh guy who only went to Thailand on a whim to film a documentary about martial art ended up staying and making this on a budget. I like it when stuff like that happens in life

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I watched this about a month ago. Its is all go from the beginning. Amazing action and fight sequences. I wasn't expecting much from it considering its dubbed and foreign but I was very surprised.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

Thanks for the heads up! I have this movie on my Netflix queue already, but after reading your review I will definitely move it up on my list. I love martial arts action movies!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Totally agree with the OP. The Raid is easily one of the greatest action films of ALL time - a true masterpiece. The action never stops from start to finish. 10/10 - well worth seeing!

top topics

join