It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemeni police open fire as hundreds storm the US embassy in Sanaa, casualties reported

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Yemeni police open fire on protesters storming US embassy in capital of Sanaa - reports

rt.com

Yemeni police fire warning shots as protesters storm US embassy in Sanaa

Yemeni police reportedly fired at demonstrators storming the US embassy in the capital city of Sanaa. The embassy personnel are currently being taken to a secure location, the Yemen Times reported.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13/9/12 by Darce because: Now the title is "Hundreds"

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Now in Yemen. Let's keep a close eye on this one folks. There are a lot of well armed militants in Yemen.

Is this situation spreading like wild-fire or what? I will keep an eye out for pictures tomorrow.

Please add any addition information concerning the American embassy in Yemen you might find, thank you.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I am just adding an additional link that just appeared elsewhere. www.theglobeandmail.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NiteNGale2

Thank you, this as well from the BBC;

US embassy in Yemen stormed in film protest

Protesters have stormed the grounds of the United States embassy in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa. They were demonstrating against an anti-Islam film made in the US, which has provoked anger around the Muslim world. On Tuesday, the US ambassador to Libya was among several people killed in a fire started after the US consulate in Benghazi was stormed. There have also been clashes in the Egyptian capital, Cairo. Witnesses in Sanaa said a number of vehicles had been set on fire in the compound of the embassy. Police opened fire in an attempt to hold back the crowds, but they managed to gain access to the building. Earlier on Thursday, US officials said they were investigating whether the attack in Libya was planned, citing suspicions that a militant jihadist group may have co-ordinated the violence.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
BBC also reporting this;

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Here's an additional source.

Protesters storm US Embassy in Yemen

Before storming the embassy compound on Thursday, the demonstrators removed the embassy's sign on the outer wall and set tires ablaze. Once inside the compound, they brought down the U.S. flag and burned it.

Im searching for more in-depth information on this one, but all im not finding much else.

Tunisia and Egypt protesters have stormed the US embassies within the past 24 hours, along with the murders in Libya. Now we can add Yemen. It's 4am where I am and CNN just came on live with the Yemen protest. It's just turning around 12pm in Sanaa at the moment and Im expecting these protests are going to be going on for quite a few hours there

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Now RT is saying "hundreds" of protestors. I can't seem to change the title now.

Yemeni police open fire as hundreds storm the US embassy in Sanaa, casualties reported

Yemeni police reportedly fired at hundreds of demonstrators storming the US embassy in the capital city of Sanaa. The embassy personnel are currently being taken to a secure location, the Yemen Times reported. The demonstrators allegedly breached the embassy grounds but were unable to enter the building. The embassy denied reports that protesters had entered its offices, saying that the clashes took place at the perimeter of the embassy grounds. Muslims have taken to the streets across the Middle East in protest against a US amateur film satirizing the Prophet Muhammad. US embassies around the world have responded to the unrest by tightening security measures. On Wednesday, the US ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staffers died when militia members attacked the Benghazi consulate. Egyptian demonstrators also clashed with police near the US embassy in Cairo. In a bid to stem the violence, Afghanistan and Pakistan have blocked access to YouTube to prevent the incendiary film from being viewed. DETAILS TO FOLLOW

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Now in Yemen. Let's keep a close eye on this one folks. There are a lot of well armed militants in Yemen.

Is this situation spreading like wild-fire or what?

Yemen is infested with militants. (Plus the US has been bombing them with drones for years now). They've been in a pretty hardcore crisis for the past year atleast. They've been dealing with extremists and also a government overthrow in the last 12 months.

It's been only around 24 hours and we've had the storming of embassies in Egypt, Tunisia, now Yemen, plus the murders in Libya. Im guessing itll spread and escalate.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Wow this is totally out of control! Over that crappy trailer?

DAMN!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Im taking pictures of my TV as CNN is reporting this. It seems the Yemen police have driven back the protesters that breached the fence

edit on 13-9-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA - There's also protests still going on in Cairo to. (Article from about 3 hours ago)

Egypt security forces, protesters clash outside US Embassy

CAIRO (Reuters) - Security forces fired teargas to disperse stone-throwing demonstrators near the U.S. embassy in Cairo late on Wednesday, some 24 hours after protesters scaled the walls and tore down the flag over a film insulting the Prophet Mohammad.

State news agency MENA said some of those present had been injured, but gave no further details.

Another ETA- Another photo from my TV on the Egypt protest still going on.

Also, CNN is saying there has been a calling for a massive protest on Friday

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I think we're seeing the begginings of something bigger on the horizon.
edit on 13-9-2012 by RELDDIR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
More pics from RT:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Gah. I so dislike seeing "reporters" reporting from "scenes" when they aren't even there. Sorry. I guess they don't realise that I can see the conflicting shadows. I am still waiting for something tangible to ponder

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Wow this is totally out of control! Over that crappy trailer?

DAMN!

One of the guys I work with who deployed to Afghanistan has said it's pretty much an outlet for them.

Their way of life is fairly restricted and, well, dull. The laws pretty much consist of "no fun allowed." When something like this happens - it's a -legal- way for them to get out and do something. The same with the enforcement of their own laws. Executing the woman accused of adultery is the most drama and excitement one gets over the week. Sure - everyone knows that the guy just wants a new wife - but when else are they going to get the opportunity to act out without getting in trouble for it?

And that's what this is. It's an excuse to act up - to "have fun" without breaking the law and being the source of everyone else's entertainment.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Here's some more updates from what im seeing/hearing from the CNN live broadcast.

-They have somebody in the area on the phone saying there's around 1,000 Yemen security forces in the area. They also are saying the protests started in the 100's and now are into the 1,000's. Also, they are saying if the security forces see anyone armed, they will shoot them on site.

Another photo from the TV

Setting fires, still trying to scale the walls/fences...and it's still early in the day there

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Yemen officials appear to be trying to say that they will do what they can to secure the situation. I truly hope that is so. Wow. Social Media is being brought up as a topic. This is actually important.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
"It is your responsibility to maintain security out here on the street." So very true.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Seems mostly to be a display, right now.

The guys scaling the fence were no-ballsed. The people setting fire to things are wishing they had a fire hot enough to rip a hole in the universe to express how pissed they are that this is all they get to do for excitement.

It's when they don't skitter away from the police like feral cats that you need to start getting worried. Still, if I were there, I'd be finding a place to lay low. I've no doubt they'd find a way to entertain themselves with the presence of an American made readily accessible by presenting himself to a mob.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
All this over a movie.

People need to get off the Internet and go play some football.

Or take up a hobby.

Or something.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join