It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THIS is what a POLICE STATE looks like! (personal experience)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by novemberecho

That was the second bit of trouble i had with the local police this week.
I live in an area where just about everyone grows marijuana, up to four plants is kind of legal.

I am not growing though, the cops probably suspected i was, as my family are "alternative". I OWN my land and live in 4 trucks converted to campers. 1 for me 2 for the kids and one old ambulance which is now a kitchen(easy wipe surfaces) and we're in the middle of building a straw bale house.

It's well known that the local police will take any weed they find and keep it for themselves or sell it to the drug den down the road which has been selling crack coc aine and heroin since i arrived here 10 years ago.
this town has a population of 8000 people, they have never been busted. EVER.
the whole town knows what goes on there.

Anyway. the cops were spotted on my land by a neighbour. they then said there were reports of abandoned vehicles on the public highway.( My land can only be reached by going off road for 2kms) and stickered all the vehicles saying they would be back in a month to tow them away.

more on this later, i intend to video them if they come back, i doubt it though. they did the same thing to another neighbour exactly a year ago. He also did not have any marijuana, they used the same excuse to be on his property and never came back to tow his converted bus.
They did try to fine him when he put up a fence to stop the police just walking on to his property...... for doing building work without permission.
When he complained at the police station they followed him home then fined him for driving over the white line on the way home.
His word against theirs.
A lot of people are pissed off at this behaviour, the cops think they are untouchable but the town cannot afford to pay for them much longer. they are down to 1 vehicle for 6 policia local. when they lose their power they'll be like everyone else. i hope i'm around to see it.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Why do you sound like part of the reason you don't think this was justified is because you were close to your house. So?

Maybe you were also mad that namedropping mommy and daddy didn't get you off the hook?

Also, why would a simple infraction damage your parents' reputations? WERE you drinking young lady? :-P

If so, you just got the biggest break of your life.
edit on 9/13/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mickierocksman
It’s called revenue raising….. no surprises here, she was probably down on her quota for the month, near the end of her shift and you got picked.

Fight them if you want to…… but it will cost you more.

Mickierocksman

exactly.. I went to court once. I got "pulled over" for walking drunk, blew a .01... this was about 30 days before my 21st birthday. Aparrently my breath meant I was in possession of alcohol..

Anyway..

you guys should have seen the DA talking with the judge, and going through all the tickets of those who had not shown up for court. They were just naming numbers, sounded like an auction. $700, ehh $300, $400, let's do $600...

The whole thing was about money and nothing else...

I lived in a low crime area with a lot of cops, so they have to do something. I got stopped constantly...

It's all about money, and if they can't find enough real criminals they will make them up to make sure they keep their jobs in this "amazing" economy...

If anyone is a cop out there you DO NOT have my respect, until you personally earn it, your brothers in blue(black combat gear) have ruined it for me...
edit on 9/13/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by novemberecho

ESPECIALLY because of my parents. so this woman accuses me of being drunk because I'm nervous, upset, and sweating. on a hot summer night, after being pulled over by the cops, when I HATE getting in trouble.

Oh boo hoo. Your parents aren't supposed to matter in the eyes of the law. Anyone else and they would have probably breathylized you... Sorry you missed out.

Sidenote: I don't mind getting tickets if I make an infraction. I just want them to hurry up with it. My time is just as valuable as everyone else's. I don't need to spend 40 mins while they write a citation. Let them do it parking maid style...

*BTW, getting pulled over is not a police state. The police have every right to pull you over at any time to check if you have valid insurance and registration or of course if you made a driving infraction. Should they go beyond that though, push boundaries, etc.. Then by all means complain.

Most encounters I've had was with a mutual smile on both sides, and it should always be that way. I know some have experience worse, and that's a shame.

(The OP doesn't sound like they were smiling from the get go though...)
edit on 13-9-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

The police do not have the right to pull you over because they suspect you of anything other than a felony. They don't get to pick and choose the cars they think may or may not have insurance, because of the color of the car or your skin, get it right man.....
edit on 13-9-2012 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by a7x0shane

did you get a lawyer..?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
Why do you sound like part of the reason you don't think this was justified is because you were close to your house. So?

Maybe you were also mad that namedropping mommy and daddy didn't get you off the hook?

Also, why would a simple infraction damage your parents' reputations? WERE you drinking young lady? :-P

If so, you just got the biggest break of your life.
edit on 9/13/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

My thoughts exactly.

Next time, OP... slow down and don't think you're special because of family.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Well, I may be disagreeing with some here, but going by my experience of growing up in a law enforcement household for most of my childhood and being around cops as a result of that, I'd say you're off on assuming you had favoritism. If she was doing you a favor, she wouldn't have written you on anything and never would have mentioned something like drinking unless you were clearly drunk...and NEVER would you have left if she really thought you were.

Until they put pen to paper and begin to write on that serial numbered piece of paper, it can still be a warning and verbal at that. $300 in tickets was putting it to you pretty hard.

I think 'starting over' was where your day went from 'this sucks' to 'there goes part of a mortgage payment' because of name dropping. I know my father took more than one guy to jail for it, outright, when that really wasn't necessary to push that far....but he hated two things above all else as a cop. People who offered him money....he considered it insulting to an extreme as being looked down upon (and had a point when one thinks about it) and people who dropped names on a traffic stop, as if he should become forgiving for it.

He also warned me as a kid, if I ever got in trouble (another topic entirely) to never drop HIS name in the city he worked. He had a point I wouldn't have thought of. About half the department, he'd have described as friends but a % of that other half would have made my life 10 kinds of hell to get at him over something. Just a thought.

edit on 13-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

The police do not have the right to pull you over because they suspect you of anything other than a felony. They don't get to pick and choose the cars they think may or may not have insurance, because of the color of the car or your skin, get it right man.....

You are travelling on a public road. The police may pull you over and ensure you are travelling legally. That's not really the issue. As passing registration and insurance to an officer is not big deal, and rightly so, should be enforced. It's only if they go beyond that, that there are concerns with your rights. You do not have to answer anything you don't want to but it is very likely some police will overstep their bounds.

From the ACLU:

Q: What if law enforcement officers stop me in my car?
A: Keep your hands where the police can see them. You must
show your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance
if you are asked for these documents. Officers can also ask
you to step outside of the car, and they may separate passengers
and drivers from each other to question them and
compare their answers, but no one has to answer any questions.
The police cannot search your car unless you give them
your consent, which you do not have to give, or unless they
have “probable cause” to believe (i.e., knowledge of facts sufficient
to support a reasonable belief) that criminal activity is
likely taking place, that you have been involved in a crime, or
that you have evidence of a crime in your car. If you do not
want your car searched, clearly state that you do not consent.
The officer cannot use your refusal to give consent as a basis
for doing a search.
Q: What

www.aclu.org...

To be honest, the Canadian version seems more thoughtful of the citizen:

Police officers can stop you under
three general circumstances1:
1. If they suspect that you have committed
a crime
2. If they see you committing a
crime
3. If you are driving

If you are stopped while driving,
the police may ask to see your
driver’s licence, car registration
and insurance. You are required
to provide this information, and
if you fail to do so you may be
charged with an offence.5

Source

Providing proof of insurance and car registration is not a big deal. Nor should it be. You are after all travelling on public roads. However, because some officers have abused the right to verify citizens travelling legally through their jurisdiction, people have associated a negative connotation with it.

At one time, checking travellers was to protect the town, not to go on a wild goose chase. You ought to have someone checking the people coming into town, just as they did during the wild west days. Pulling over a grandma at the corner store for the same thing somewhat drowns out the point of it all...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by novemberecho
and the worst part is, in Illinois, if you try to fight the ticket, and you lose, the tickets are DOUBLED.
so it's pointless.

"just listen to the cop, and agree to whatever they say, because if you don't you'll owe MORE money, even if you're wrongfully accused."

It's not pointless if you are being completely honest.

I went to court over a ticket I recieved going the wrong way in a one way. What happened [& why the police were even there] is because I was stopped a stop sign..yes, a stop sign going the wrong way in a one way..how is that even possible.. and I got hit by a car turning onto the road. My Kind of Town was playing on my CD player at the time. I lived in that small town almost all of my life and always drove that strip in both directions.

Anyway the cop, who I knew BTW, gave me a ticket, my night was ruined [I was supposed to go out that night] and my car was messed up. So yeah, I fought the ticket and went before the magistrate against the cop in my small town of 4500 and I won. The only place the road was marked as a one way was further up from where I turned on to it, I took photos in.. the magistrate took me for a ride in her car because she said that she used that road too, and in the wrong direction..

So, if you believe that you are in the right-fight, don't be a giver-upper.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ok what about this then.
My neighbour has a viscious dog who killed my rabbits last year. He is a 'white powder' dealer and so I tell the police twice that he is one and my other neighbour (scary bloke) knows too.

Last month I am home invaded by 4 black men in bandans and hoods all dressed in black nad they were shouting where is the weed? We all said next door. They left our house after breaking a hinge on a window and stealing my hubby's Apple laptop.
My two teenage daughters are terrified and we had CID and SOCO, all in our favour that we were the victims.
Now they have wrote to us and closed the crime, as there were no witnesses, except we were told by a CID officier that there was a witness and he knew one of the men.?????!!!!

And we were promised that next door would be put under surveillance-like f they have. No they haven't.
Our first flat had a neighbour surveillance done on a pusher and that worked.

SO this could happen again not to mention the vomit and pee I've found all over my car, from the drugees.

SO YEAH WE ARE IN A POLICE STATE TOO. EVEN IN UK.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm thinking you likely have the right of it.

OP:

I'm speaking as someone who has received more than my statistical share of tickets over the years. The first two I received (at the same time) were the only two I still maintain my innocence on. I was a neighborhood rent-a-cop's quota. I should have gone to court to contest them, but didn't want the hassle. However, I was young, scared, and naive. My point is, if you're really innocent, then take it to court and contest it.

Your big mistake was name dropping. Likely you thought you could talk your way out of it. For future reference, just keep your mouth shut. Seriously. No good ever comes of running your mouth to maintain your innocence. As far as the whole you were close to home thing- most accidents occur within five miles of one's home. I learned that one in traffic school- which they make as boring as possible- btw. I'm actually going to traffic school (again) later this month for a ticket I actually earned.

Anyway, a sample scenario:

You see flashing lights, pull over, and roll down your window. Don't open your door.
Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
You: Non-committal noise that may possibly sound like a no, while handing them the license and registration.
Officer: Well, I clocked you going fifteen over.
You: Make that non-committal noise again. Possibly sigh.
Officer: I'll be right back.
Then he/she makes you wait forever before bringing back your ticket and potentially lecturing you. You nod in all the right places and leave when they tell you that you can. If you disagree, take it to court.

edit on 13-9-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Hi, just got some evidence of local police corruption.
If you read one of my earlier posts on this thread you will see that this week i got threatened with the removal of my vehicles from my privately owned land.
what i found out is the stickers were created by the head police man but have nothing to do with the local government. He had them printed himself. he puts them on vehicles which he thinks are either worth money for sale as they are, or for scrap metal.
He has a deal with the local scrap man they split the money.
I was suspicious as there is no crime number on the tickets. just a phone number for the chief of police. It is his own private number. NOT THE POLICE STATION.
If you phone this number he knows he's rumbled and leaves you alone.
Otherwise he takes the vehicle keeps the money.
I will be making a new thread on this later.
Meanwhile here is the very man in action. where he got a digger in to dig up private land to stop a festival from happening which was Europes largest Free Festival. Spains version of the "burning Man" fest. It had been going for 14 years.
He claimed it was to plant trees (to appease us ecologists)
but the holes were 6 foot deep by 6 foot long and 4 foot wide. All access to the village was lost meaning kids had to walk 3 kilometers to get to school. Everyone had to carry food and fuel by hand.
NO TREES HAVE EVER BEEN PLANTED. THERE IS STILL NO ACCESS TO THE VILLAGE and only the real hardcore people c ontinue to live there.

please watch the video they destroyed the only green field for the whole area.
edit on 16-9-2012 by discolo because: cos i can

top topics

<< 1   >>

join