US officials say 2 warships moving toward Libya

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
So it seems that its not just the marines heading to Libya, but US officials have stated that 2 warships are on their way to the patrol the coast of Libya...

The Pentagon ordered two warships to the Libyan coast in the aftermath of the attack in Benghazi that killed the U.S. ambassador and three others, U.S. officials said Wednesday.

One destroyer, the USS Laboon, moved to a position off the coast Wednesday, and the USS McFaul is en route and should be stationed off the coast within days. The officials said the ships, which carry Tomahawk cruise missiles, do not have a specific mission. But they give commanders flexibility to respond to any mission ordered by the president.

Pentagon spokesman George Little said: "Without commenting on specific ship movements, the United States military regularly takes precautionary steps when potential contingencies might arise in a given situation. That's not only logical in certain circumstances, it's the prudent thing to do."

They call these moves precautionary, but I'm not so sure about that.... Trying to make sense of this whole situation is tough. We have the Govt. officials of Libya apologizing for what happened to these US officials, they are denying any involvement, but the US seems to be pumping its chest, possibly looking to escalate the situaton.

If these warships are being moved to the coast of Libya, do you think its because the US believes it was more than what we all have been told?

It seems like USA is itching for a fight and it seems that this US embassy situation could be just the excuse to get things going in that region again...

I hope I'm wrong...

news.yahoo.com...

Mods- I ran a search didnt find this story, if its already been said, feel free to 86 this thread
edit on 12-9-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
My guess is, they are being sent there to evacuate American nationals if this gets out of hand,also as a base for the troops on the ground,the ships come with sophisticated eavesdropping capabilities that can help track down and detect these people,if indeed it was a coordinated attack
edit on 12-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Could it be pressure and the elections coming up? Obama does not want to look any more timid than he has already shown himself over this.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The American nationals should be evacuated. This situation is to tense.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
They are being sent there to support the 50 man FAST Team that the Marines sent to secure the embassy. If they are attacked they would require immediate air support from the Navy. I imagine there is a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) on the way as well even if not reported. I have a strange feeling this is only the beginning.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Amusing, the military is deploying 2 warships over the death of 4 people.

Where were those warships when israel attacked and killed the 34 servicemen of the USS Liberty in 1967.
edit on 13-9-2012 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
They are using this Libyan incident in order to bring more ships and soldiers near Iran. They have been positioning themselves strategically for the past few years. Iran is completely surrounded. Click here for map : www.aljazeera.com...
edit on 12-9-2012 by alphaskunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphaskunk
They are using this Libyan incident in order to bring more ships and soldiers near Iran. They have been positioning themselves strategically for the past few years. Iran is completely surrounded. Click here for map : www.aljazeera.com...

Yes this is definitely turning into a horrible situation... Strategically placed pieces and than a false flag, or Israel jumping the gun, and BOOM! WWWIII begins...I can only SMH at this stuff...

Side note- That map is pretty crazy...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
They are being sent there to support the 50 man FAST Team that the Marines sent to secure the embassy. If they are attacked they would require immediate air support from the Navy. I imagine there is a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) on the way as well even if not reported. I have a strange feeling this is only the beginning.

Are the 50 man FAST Teams like the special ops for Marines? I never heard of them before today...

Ahhh... A quick google search states that FAST is Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team... They sound a little badass

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

So it seems that its not just the marines heading to Libya, but US officials have stated that 2 warships are on their way to the patrol the coast of Libya...

In addition to the marines and warships, drones are on their way there to.

news.yahoo.com...

CNN reports that the United States will send unmanned drones to Libya to look for jihadist camps, as the White House now accepts the belief that the Benghazi attack was the premeditated work of terrorists.

What I see happening is drone strikes, and cruise missile strikes whenever the drones find these camps. Im guessing the first strikes will happen pretty soon....it is only a couple months until election and I think Obama will think itll make him look strong if he acts quickly.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Black hawk down anyone?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

No. They are security forces. They are infantryman who specialize in embassy security. They should be able to secure the embassy no problem as long as they get the support they need. This is what they are trained speciffically to do. In the Corps we call it glorified firewatch. They ussually don't see a whole lot of action but now they are in the thick of it.

ETA: I'm sure their training is more anti terrorism focused these days as that stuff evolves quickley in the military. When I was active they were just known as security forces.
edit on 12/9/12 by usmc0311 because: added material

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Not much of an embassy to protect,seemed pretty burnt-out and destroyed to me
which makes me wonder why and what are they going there for ?
edit on 12-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

reply to post by jhn7537

No. They are security forces. They are infantryman who specialize in embassy security. They should be able to secure the embassy no problem as long as they get the support they need. This is what they are trained speciffically to do. In the Corps we call it glorified firewatch. They ussually don't see a whole lot of action but now they are in the thick of it.

ETA: I'm sure their training is more anti terrorism focused these days as that stuff evolves quickley in the military. When I was active they were just known as security forces.
edit on 12/9/12 by usmc0311 because: added material

I wonder what type of cooperation they receive from Libya when entering the country to go to the Embassy or if they even need to coordinate their movements at all... I'm curious how the logistics of it play out..

And thanks for the info about the unit... Very interesting

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Why do People always have to die? Just to make a point?
To score a few kudos for the potus....??
this is all looking like deja vu to me.......
the inevitablility of this comming war is like looking at a #storm rolling down on us....with absolutely nothing we can do about it......

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

There seems to be many Libyans sympathizing with the US on these attacks. MSM is not showing that of course. I think as long as the rebels do not wage an all out attack they should be able to at least secure the embassy unless they decide to disband it due to all of the damage, They will most likely helo in and out so their logistics should go smoothly barring any rebels wanting to bring down a US aircraft. A Black Hawk Down scenario is a posibility if they are not careful.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Why do People always have to die? Just to make a point?
To score a few kudos for the potus....??
this is all looking like deja vu to me.......
the inevitablility of this comming war is like looking at a #storm rolling down on us....with absolutely nothing we can do about it......

Don't worry too much. War is always sad but a militarized conflict with Iran will not affect the lives of American citizens more than the Iraq war did. This conflict is not likely to create a ww3. What country would even dare to face all of the western world for Iran? China and Russia will back off, too much to lose for too little.

When the bell rings, i hope it does not but it is starting to look like it will, Iran will be completely obliterated from the surface of the world. Too many is at risk with a nation that WILL use nuclear devices if at war and able to. It will be quick, monstrous and desolating to see. But Iran does not stand a single chance.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by alphaskunk

I have to agree with everything you said except for the first statement. If we engage in a technological war you are absolutely right. However if we engage in a ground campaign it will be more costly to the US people than both Iraq and Afghanistan combined. In a ground war the Iranian Army aint no joke. They have plenty of sophisticated weaponry that would reak havoc upon our troops.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Well I pray that we never have to find out how bad the Iranian army could wreak havoc on our troops... Now picture if China and Russia got involved, the possible loss is hard to even imagine...
edit on 13-9-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

reply to post by alphaskunk

I have to agree with everything you said except for the first statement. If we engage in a technological war you are absolutely right. However if we engage in a ground campaign it will be more costly to the US people than both Iraq and Afghanistan combined. In a ground war the Iranian Army aint no joke. They have plenty of sophisticated weaponry that would reak havoc upon our troops.

You are right, the Iranian army is not to be underestimated. That is the reason why ground warfare will be kept to a minimum.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join