It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC defends not broadcasting 9/11 tribute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
NBC has defended its decision to interview a reality TV star instead of observing a moment of silence marking the 11th anniversary of 9/11.

While other networks aired live silent footage of memorial events, NBC's Today show aired a segment with Kris Jenner from Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

An NBC spokeswoman said Tuesday's show had "dedicated a considerable amount of time to September 11th coverage".

The network is already under fire for its coverage of the London 2012 Games.

A MAJOR FAIL

www.bbc.co.uk...

Seriously WTF?

That is all.
edit on 12-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
NBC is a privately owned network if they don't want to show a tribute there is no law saying they have to. It's called freedom of choice.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I think it's more the "principal" of it I was eluding to.

Come on "Keeping up with the Kardashians???????"

Yep, I can see your point, definitely more important and viewer worthy.
edit on 12-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
In the end, it is just a distraction to keep people talking about something other than the obvious.

Many of us know what that obvious thing is....
While others discuss whether or not NBC should have done this or that...and while other networks cover this "event" and give it airtime....the truth, or at least an honest investigation of the truth, gets zero airtime.

Same ole song and dance....
I wouldn't doubt if it was intentionally planned that way.
Many also know that only a handful of people own these few media corporations....they are all "buddies".

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I think NBC was a respected network a decent source of news as well as entertainment.....at one time. So was Fox....at one time.

Now they're all basically Newstainment and Tavloid garbage, one show after another, ad naseum and around the clock. The television I use to watch as background has become far more useful as a very LARGE alternate monitor mounted a couple feet over my direct line of sight and a few feet in front of my desk, on a wall.

Actually, I find that screen to be far better suited to things like Breakingnews com or even something better and more informative like the ATS Trending pages. It makes for great background, since networks like NBC wouldn't know decency and respect for the nation that made them everything they are if it came up and slapped them upside the head.

They could have run 20 hours of 9.11 Coverage and I wouldn't care a bit. In fact, most I flipped past in my unusual break to check TV yesterday were probably running too much and crossing right into Tabloid coverage for ratings. As bad or worse than what NBC did. There was only one period that truly mattered...and a moment f silence and respect for over 3,000 people who did nothing to deserve the death they got that day isn't too much to ask for American television networks.

I wouldn't say a word if the BBC or Sky News didn't show a thing...they aren't American born, bred and built from the ground up and from day 1 as a network. Just a little respect...but that's too much for some networks to grasp these days...and their ratings, as they fall, prove just how many others DO 'get it'.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
NBC is a privately owned network if they don't want to show a tribute there is no law saying they have to. It's called freedom of choice.

I just dont buy it.

They are privately owned, and operated, and serve the majority of the United States with news, and services, You would think that it would have been a good and kind gesture, to actually take ONE MINUTE, out of their programing day, to respect those that lost their lives. Sad actually. It was ONLY a minute, that EVERY other American News Network took the time to do.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
They could have played Snookie's biography for all I care. Its their choice to do what they want with their network. There have been thousands of massacres over the years, yet those aren't paraded on television every year now are they?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by buster2010

I just dont buy it.

They are privately owned, and operated, and serve the majority of the United States with news, and services, You would think that it would have been a good and kind gesture, to actually take ONE MINUTE, out of their programing day, to respect those that lost their lives. Sad actually. It was ONLY a minute, that EVERY other American News Network took the time to do.

I'm sure they weren't doing it out of disrespect. See my above post, as it applies to your argument as well. Do you expect a 9/11 memorial on television for the rest of existance? If so, you're delusional. Hype always ends at some point or another. 9/11 being no different.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

Yeah sure ok, people get shot, bombs go off yada yada yada, but mate this was a pretty big deal don't you think?

When was the last time you witnessed live the death of 3000+ people in one instance, planes slamming into two buildings? A deception or a grim reality for all to see?

I fear you have become a little to distracted and become immune to what constitutes as shocking and what is not.

Every year I attend a minutes silence at the dawn service to pay tribute to WW1 and WW2 soldiers and those that died for us during this time. I'm 38, I was not there. But I still do this out of respect. I suggest NBC do the same.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

Yeah sure ok, people get shot, bombs go off yada yada yada, but mate this was a pretty big deal don't you think?

When was the last time you witnessed live the death of 3000+ people in one instance, planes slamming into two buildings? A deception or a grim reality for all to see?

I fear you have become a little to distracted and become immune to what constitutes as shocking and what is not.

Every year I attend a minutes silence at the dawn service to pay tribute to WW1 and WW2 soldiers and those that died for us during this time. I'm 38, I was not there. But I still do this out of respect. I suggest NBC do the same.

That is your choice to do that, and good for you. It was NBC's choice not to. I'm not distracted, nor am I immune to what constitutes "shocking". If you feel the need to have a moment of silence for people that have died, thats your prerogative. It's NBC's prerogative as well. It's an unfortunate thing that happened on 9-11 ... but we can't condemn them for making a choice. Freedom of choice is what the US has fought so hard to protect.

Does the US have a moment of silence on every television station for the victims of Pearl Harbor? Or the Oklahoma bombing?
edit on 13-9-2012 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If they were airing news I would cut them slack. But interviewing a Kris ! Reality TV at its worst. Boobs over innocent lives. I see the road we're going down.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by headorheart

Exactly!!!!!!! That is the whole bloody point! It's like having a still picture of cheese for 15 minutes? WHY HER? Really Really Really bad show NBC.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Just a tiny thought. Some are saying it was their right to do something which was certain to cause offense to some. And surely those posters are correct. Are they also saying that Jones had the right to burn a Koran, and someone had the right to make a movie condemning Mohammad?

What I've been hearing in those cases is "Oh, I suppose they had the right, but if they get shot they deserve it. Fine with me."

Please take a strong and consistent stand on freedom of speech. That's what ATS, and America, is about.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Every Dec 7th, the various news services play footage from Pearl Harbor, remarking upon Americas official entrance into WW2. Same with June 6th...D-Day.

I expect that eventually, Sept 11th will be the same.

A historical footnote as time marches on. I don't like it, but it is a eventual likelyhood.

edit on 13-9-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I don't see nothing wrong, with a minute of silence. No one is asking for round the clock air time. Then again, there are some out there that find the Kardashians more worthy of that minute. Personally, I dont, and MANY others don't either.

Peace.
edit on 13-9-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This is why I appreciate CSPAN when they cover things like that. They will show entire speeches and events with no superfluous commentary on the matter.

new topics

top topics

join