It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious/Spiritual Tolerance Does not work, only Commonality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
In the wake of the Embassy attack i would like to discuss Religious/Spiirutal Tolerance a little bit in depth.

yesteray, i saw a commercial involving a priest and rabbi playing chess, while they jokingly bickered about moves made a Imam came to them bringing them donuts

What's tolerance...

tolerance |ˈtäl(ə)rəns|
noun
1 the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with : the tolerance of corruption | an advocate of religious tolerance.

Something that "one does not agree" too..

My best example of Tolerance would be children, those pesky little children that you may have or handled at one time or another. Kids are great, only when they are doing what they are suppose and not suppose to do. Pretty sure we don't want our kids to punch a teacher.
How much tolerance does a parent have in order to control their kids without spanking(not htting) or grounding? Has a parent control their kids with restrictions, rules and orders? Or let the child do whatever they please with no set boundaries. To balance all of this and having a happy positive life with a child is difficult. But bad days do happen.

If a parent had a terrible day and the child grievously misbehaves our tolerance level is shorten. No one is perfect at anything. A swat on the tail or yelling may happen, more so if these thing occur over and over again.

Majority of the problem with society is that we tolerate too much nowadays. Our tolerance grows and grows until we have to outlash at something, or someone. My father 68, never heard of Islam back in the 60s. Being educated helps as well.

Ultimately, Tolerance has a breaking point with everyone. No one here is to say that they are perfect patient person. Everyone has plenty of cracks.

This brings me to the solution for the child. Which is commonality. In order to understand each other you must understand the position, story, emotions and feelings of each other. Meaning, being in there shoe.
commonality |ˈkämənˌalitē|
noun ( pl. -ties)
1 [in sing. ] the state of sharing features or attributes : a commonality of interest ensures cooperation.
• a shared feature or attribute : we discern the commonalities between these writers.

Through commonality all 3 Abrahamic religions can find at least 25% of agreement on something. Perhaps common characters pop up in different books. Or that they believe in this and the other is a little different but shares in some aspect. Although, doctrine is entirely different, lifestyle and belief. More times than not we share commonalities through religion.

Common trait of all three religions is the next messiah. Commonlity
Christian/Islam- jesus (although looked differently among them)

And in the end of the day, we all enjoy sitting down and eating

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

In order to understand each other you must understand the position, story, emotions and feelings of each other. Meaning, being in there shoe.

I think the empasse point is that one side sees the other side as playing by different rules where there is no tolerance of the other's POV because their religion demands it as null and void. Whether it is in actuality is debatable, but that's what one side thinks. That's the problem with religion, how do you change someones mind?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I don't think religion really has anything to do with anything. People do bad things and they can come up with any reason in the world to do it and it really does not change what they did. If someone walks up behind you and shoots you in the head does it really matter if he did it because he thought his god said it was cool or because he did not believe in god?
I think teaching self control is way better than all the stupid "lets get along" crap. We don't have to all get along and we don't have to accept or like each other, but we don't need to go around killing other for any reason. You have the right to be racist, bigoted and homophobic if you want to.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I disagree with your title. People have the ability to tolerate others' VASTLY different opinions. They choose not to. Religious tolerance DOES work. It CAN work. But people have to choose it.

I am an atheist, and I am very tolerant and even support others' right to their religious opinions. I have nothing in common with people of religion. But commonality is NOT a requirement of tolerance. Indeed, if we had commonality in religion, tolerance wouldn't be needed.

It's like those people who say, "I support Free Speech, but not for those with whom I strongly disagree" It's easy to support the Free Speech of someone (or tolerate someone) with whom you agree (or have commonality). The real test of your Free Speech stance comes in supporting the right for the likes of Fred Phelps or the dingbats who made this anti-Muslim movie.

I won't address the child aspect of this thread. That's a totally different kind of tolerance.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I won't address the child aspect of this thread. That's a totally different kind of tolerance.

How does an atheist have a valid opinion on something that they don't believe in?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
How does an atheist have a valid opinion on something that they don't believe in?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I didn't express an opinion on God.

I expressed an opinion on religious tolerance. I do believe in that. As far as "believing in" religion... It exists. It's not a matter of believing in religion or not believing in religion. I KNOW religion exists.

Maybe if you rephrase your question, I could provide a better answer.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

how does this comment demonstrate intolerance?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Did you even at least thought about my commonality proposal, it would seem that you believe tolerance is superior

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I read your post. I'm not sure what your proposal is.

And I think quite highly of tolerance. I practice it every chance I get. Is it "superior"? Superior to intolerance? Yes. IMO, tolerance of differences is definitely preferred over intolerance.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

can you explain to me how "commonality" common things amongst religion is less superior than intolerance

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

can you explain to me how "commonality" common things amongst religion is less superior than intolerance

I didn't say that at all.
I think it's good to find commonality among people with differences. I have commonality with many of my cyber-friends here on ATS, yet we have differences of opinion politically or with regards to religion. I am all for finding commonality.

Still, if I have NOTHING in common with someone, I can still tolerate them and accept them, and they are as deserving and worthy as anyone else.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

what I am saying is, is that there is more commonality between the 3 abrhamic religions. And these commonalities should unite us together. Even when there is not, we all have families and like to eat , etc
common human commonalities
Thank you for understanding what I was saying.
edit on 13-9-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

top topics

join