It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager to Solar System: ‘Bye-Bye’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The most epic science fiction fantasy is about to come true. For the first time ever a human-built vehicle is leaving the entire solar system behind. This is huge. The daily news cycle may mention it in passing along with some nice images. Your kids may hear about it in class. Most people on this lovely blue-green planet won’t even know what our species has accomplished. Experts say it could happen any time, most likely within a year.

Thirty-five years ago NASA launched probes designed to explore our solar system. Perhaps to confuse historians, Voyager 2 blasted off first on August 20, 1977. Voyager 1 followed on September 7. They’re going where we’ve never been before. We’re talking interstellar space, people. That’s defined as “the space between stars.” The whole futuristic thing? It’s arriving!

During 1990 Voyager was instructed to face it's cameras towards Earth which inspired this video.

Here is the full link:
www.wired.com...

Wahooo I can't wait for what it shows next!...............if I'm alive.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Nice post op

The video was cool and the picture, If I am correct, is from Voyager? If so, that is a humbling photo and quick to remind us how little we are in a mind blowing existence of whatever is out there.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

I know what you mean, I have just spent the last few minutes glued to that image thinking the very same thing.

Oh, and thanks

edit on 12-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: Cheers

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I could be mistaken but I realy do think voyager was not the first man made vehicle to leave the solar system

A spacecraft called pioneer 10 left about 10 years ago

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave
I could be mistaken but I realy do think voyager was not the first man made vehicle to leave the solar system

A spacecraft called pioneer 10 left about 10 years ago

Never made it.

It lost power in 2003 (supposedly) at 80 AU from the Earth. It had to go another 45 AU or so to reach where the Voyager is about to go.

~Namaste

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by viperdave

Nope

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Is voyager still alive? can we still contact it?
are we sure it didn`t get eaten by a blackhole or an alien spaceship?

over 6 billion miles away,wow.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Ok well my dad worked at JPL for many years
he worked on pioneer 10 and voyager 1 and 2 along with. Viking1 and 2.

I have boxes of press release photo packets from voyager 1 and 2 and Viking 1 and 2

Some day they may be worth something

I'm just wondering if some alien race will pick them up some day bring them back to earth with a warning;

STOP THROWING YOUR TRASH HERE!! Lol

Be safe people

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Not that there will be anybody around to collect on the golf bet but..

On a shorter time scale, Pioneer 11 will achieve its first stellar encounter of sorts when it passes about 1.65 light-years (0.51 parsec) from the red dwarf AC +79° 3888 in the year 42,405 AD.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo
The video was cool and the picture, If I am correct, is from Voyager
You are correct, it's from Voyager. It's a humbling picture.

Originally posted by Tardacus
Is voyager still alive? can we still contact it?
are we sure it didn`t get eaten by a blackhole or an alien spaceship?

over 6 billion miles away,wow.
It's supposed to die around 2025-2030 when the power runs low, still alive for now.

Hopefully it will die rather than come back and almost destroy all humans like the fictional Voyager did in the Star Trek movie!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'll be honest the vid had me tearin' up a bit

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What a day of extremes. On one hand we have the events in a troubled region of our own planet here. On the other, we have our probes about to depart our home in this vast Universe and finally get a look at what no Human in historical record is known to have seen. The Universe...beyond the bubble which surrounds us.

I can't wait. No matter how it looks on the other side, the same or not, it's an accomplishment the entire human race should hold their heads high for and without any regard to what nation built or launched these. Nations and race stop meaning squat when we leave the orbit of this blue marble and I really believe that.

Lets just hope it's not a case of learning more than we'd have liked to. It'll be pretty rough if we discover things to be like a side mirror on a car. "Objects may be closer than they appear" and we find the bubble has had a lensing effect of any sort. It's probably impossible...but just maybe....we have some important new perspectives almost immediately!

"It was the best of times....It was the worst of times..." I can't think of a period where those famous words of literature have been more accurate to reality around us.
Now lets all take pride in this stunning achievement! Indeed.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Absolutely. I second that.

It's also a real shame. Looking at that blue marble we call earth it almost makes me feel ashamed. As an individual I am powerless to stop all the killing and violence that goes on on that tiny dot we call home. Together as a team I know we could stop it. The world could be a much better place.

They should have put another inscription on Voyager.

"Made on Earth, where we kill each other for no reason at all"

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Technically, the Voyager and Pioneer probes (and New Horizons for that matter) will not leave the Solar System when they leave the heliosphere. They may pass into what is termed "interstellar space", but it is a long way to the edge of the Sun's region of gravitational dominion. The Oort Cloud of comets extends to as far as one light year from the Sun, and they will take thousands of years to travel that distance.
edit on 13-9-2012 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It's supposed to die around 2025-2030 when the power runs low, still alive for now.

You are correct about the power aspect.
But reaction fuel is expected to run out about 2020. So it's antenna will no longer be pointed at Earth.

new topics

top topics

join