It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland Or. City Council to add Fluoride to City's Water Supply

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The City Council approved a plan Wednesday to add fluoride to Portland's water, meaning Oregon's biggest city is no longer the largest holdout in the U.S. The ordinance calls for city water to be fluoridated by March 2014. Dental experts say fluoride is effective in fighting cavities. Opponents of public fluoridation say it's unsafe and violates an individual's right to consent to medication. "Reasonable people can disagree, but the science is on the side of fluoridation," Mayor Sam Adams said after the unanimous vote. Opponents also say council members rushed into action without a public vote. They plan to collect almost 20,000 signatures in the next 30 days to force a referendum early next year — before the mineral is added to a water supply that serves about 900,000 people in Portland and a few suburbs. "There is no question that we are going to need a lot of financial and volunteer support to make this happen, but we are seeing a major backlash to how the City Council has handled this," said Kim Kaminski, executive director of Oregon Citizens for Safe Drinking Water.

News Link

Portland Oregon has always been one of those strange exceptions to the normal political stereotypes. They are highly Liberal, yet had a large population of Ron Paul supporters, have no sales tax, and a significant rate of Gun Ownership with very little restrictions on Gun Rights.

Part of me now wonders if that is because of the current lack of Fluoride?

Perhaps it is not as easy to convince people to go with the flow on the agendas of TPTB when they aren't having their brains poisoned?

What will change now that they will start adding it?

edit on 12-9-2012 by tpsreporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2012 by tpsreporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tpsreporter

I've been considering switching to pure distilled water. Anyone know what minerals I'd be missing out on from not drinking from the tap?

btw I've drank tons of tap water ran through a Brita filter, until recently I read on a information sheet inside the Brita filter box. "we also provide a healthy amount of fluoride in our filters" kinda pissed me off cause the whole reason I was using it was to reduce the fluoride ex poser. So now I just drink straight from the tap. You just can't win these days..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This is terrible news! That's one city I had been considering moving to, lack of fluoride being one of the selling points.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Deezi

I have a pur brand, the filter boxes state that they are designed to leave in "beneficial fluoride". And I wish people wouldn't call it a mineral, what's being added to the water supply is not a natural mineral.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Are you kidding me? This is terrible news! I in no way support this, and feel that everyday, less and less places will have water without fluoride! Oregan was already one of the few.

Dental experts say fluoride is effective in fighting cavities. Opponents of public fluoridation say it's unsafe and violates an individual's right to consent to medication. "Reasonable people can disagree, but the science is on the side of fluoridation,"
^^quote^^

People always argue that there is not enough proof that it is bad for you, but where is the cold hard proof it is? I don't believe it.. And I have a feeling it will take hell to freeze over before I believe fluoride in our water is to help us..
Grrr...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

I wasn't referring to fluoride as a mineral I know it is scraped from smoke stacks. But I do know there are naturally occurring minerals beneficial to human health in tap water. Excluding fluoride of course.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Deezi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Deezi

I know you hadn't called it that, I was trying to state it in general terms for the entire thread, sorry about the confusion.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Katharos62191

Thanks, and I agree. I don't understand why people aren't offended on a deep moral level by the addition of chemicals to their vital drinking water? Even if you accept for a moment that your teeth need this chemical, ok - get it your own damn self, you don't have to poison everybody to get it.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

Calcium fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral if I'm not mistaken, but as far as sodium fluoride goes... That's a whole different story. I'm almost 99% sure sodium fluoride is what is being dumped into peoples water supply in the name of cavity prevention.. I still ponder that statement. How stupid do these people really think we are?

Another fact I'd like to point out is the fluoride in the drinking water isn't even effective unless it is directly injected or smeared onto the teeth. What happens when it goes through our digestive system and gets into the blood stream? Nothing good imho.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Deezi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

Thanks, and I agree. I don't understand why people aren't offended on a deep moral level by the addition of chemicals to their vital drinking water? Even if you accept for a moment that your teeth need this chemical, ok - get it your own damn self, you don't have to poison everybody to get it.

I believe more people should be offended about it! This may sound silly but I feel we the people should have more say so about our drinking water instead of made to drink it 'just because the experts said we should'...or atleast we should have the right to choose other wise!!
That is so true, if people want to have fluoride in their diet for their teeth, Go buy the dang toothpaste that already has it in it! Why do we need it in our water and our toothpaste? What about elderly who only wear dentures, is this for their health too?
Also not to mention, if you go read your toothpaste if you haven't started buying toothpaste without it like I have.. The box and package clearly states they put fluoride in it because studies show it helps your teeth, but then states THAT IT HAS NEVER ACTUALLY BEEN PROVEN THOUGH.
So why some people think we need it is beyond me, but if they do want to believe it for teeth purposes if that's the best they can come up with, let them go about it on their own and not put it in everyone's drinking water!
Sorry for the rant I just feel very strongly on this subject!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Portland was also one of the cities i had considered moving to.

It's a real shame this wasn't even given to the voters to decide for themselves.

Even if this wasn't a matter of choosing to add fluoride or not, the fact remains in this case, that the "Government" decided that they know best and that they would force the issue on the populace. That alone sickens me to no end. The fluoride is like the poo flavored cherry on top

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Deezi

I completely agree!! When we are at the dentist and told to swish it around in our mouth, but to NOT swallow it and to not drink or eat for an hour to avoid swallowing it, why in the HELL would we want to drink and digest it?! They really must think we are stupid.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

People don't think we need it, however the government is pressuring cities and states probably writing out bonus checks. These so called people don't seem very human to me. I prefer to call them pure evil.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

We SHOULD have the right to choose. Or atleast vote on the subject. I believe it is wrong the government just decided they know best so do what we say. Especially since they have no reliable information or proof of reasoning to back it up. Even if they did, I wouldn't want it, I want my drinking water as pure as possible, which is becoming a thing of the past.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Deezi

Pure evil is a perfect way to describe them. If only we could fill their water with a whole bunch of unknown substances deliberately bad for them.. I'd feel so much better.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Deezi

Maybe you could augment the distilled water with a multi vitamin? That way you aren't missing out on anything you need. Definitely find one that dissolves in water so you know it's not just passing through.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
it's the mayor and council.....
the mayor makes a ststement like that after the vote, what he is really stating is and I quote...."I'm on the side of evil and big tyrranny government and pay me I'll sell out my Mum for anything you want,Hello there Mr Devil....and I'm proud to be one of your backers....gib me da money....I hope my Mum doesn't know I turned out to be the kind of person that will held up to the people for shaming in the new kingdom"........

Mr mayor.....you're brilliant...azzwipe

edit on 12-9-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh ...coolest of names

edit on 12-9-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahweh is our new king

edit on 12-9-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahushua is our new King !!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deezi

I've drank tons of tap water ran through a Brita filter, until recently I read on a information sheet inside the Brita filter box. "we also provide a healthy amount of fluoride in our filters"

I'd be very interested if you could post a photo of that sheet or post a link to one online.

cheers

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Deezi

Yeah, if it were natural calcium fluoride being added then there would have to be a big supply of it that we are mining someplace, right?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I thought people in the USA had some inalienable rights. People can add their own fluoride to water if they want but their wish to have it put into others water is not legal by our constitution because others may eat naturally high fluoride diets and it is poison to them. It isn't like Chloride where it is required for safety of everyone drinking the water, fluoride is only supposed to be their for the teeth. If one person in town doesn't want it in their water it is unconstitutional to put it in the water. Why are these people fighting fluoride being so nice, the ones pushing fluoride aren't being nice. The feds won't say people have to have fluoride in water, they know it is illegal, they leave it up to the cities. Sue the cities, they haven't got a leg to stand on. It would be cheaper fopr the cities to give away fluoride drops than to fluoridate the water.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join