It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House conservatives call for stripping aid to Libya, Egypt from spending bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
House conservatives call for stripping aid to Libya, Egypt from spending bill

In the wake of the 9-11-2012 attacks on U.S. Embassies, some people in Congress are calling for some financial "punishment".

They also seem to be calling Obama's hand.

The House will be voting on a bill for the continuing resolution that would extend federal funding through March.

A group of House conservatives is calling for foreign aid to Libya and Egypt to be stripped from a six-month federal funding bill set for a vote on Thursday.

A handful of lawmakers voiced outrage Wednesday at the Obama administration’s response to the attacks on the U.S. embassies in those countries, and suggested the inclusion of foreign aid could influence their votes.

“It makes it easier to vote ‘no’ ” on the spending bill, freshman Rep. Jeff Landry (R-La.) said at a press event with conservative House Republicans at the Capitol.....

How will the embassy attacks affect Congress ?

“It would show a tremendous amount of leadership from this administration, in light of the recent developments, if the president were to come back and demand that the amount of money that is in the [continuing resolution] for Libya and Egypt be stripped. That would be tremendous leadership,” Landry said.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Kudos to those proposing this....not one more cent to either country until some political boundaries are set in stone.

Des

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I don't see anything good coming from giving more money to Egypt or Libya.

Perhaps it's time we associate our foreign aid with appropriate behavior.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
We shouldn't have been giving any money to them in the first place. And not only because we don't really have the money in the first place, but that is beside the point.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I'll support this if they also include Israel in de-funding.
Beyond food for starving people (or better, the means to produce their own),
we shouldn't be doling out anything to other nations.
And especially those that are apartheid regimes.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The US should end all 'aid'.

The US owes 16 trillion dollars. The US economy is a mess.

How can the US afford to be wasting money on 'aid'?

End all US 'aid'.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I bet if you also told those politicians to do the same and end military aid to countries like Israel, they'll change their tune.

What happened to the embassy in Libya was disgusting. Somebody's father, brother, son, died at the hands of irrational fanatics. What's equally disgusting are the people trying to use this horrible event as a political tool to gain points in the election.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Bout time they did something right, would be nice if they added Pakistan to that list.

The Senate will shoot it down.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Wow.....who sponsored this? Perhaps there is at least one brain in Congress after all. This is what I said when I first heard about this. Cut off the money, the food and the medicine.

I don't agree with foreign aid to begin with, but this is a damn fine reason to stop.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Excellent point. I'd rather cut aid to Israel first. I hate foreign aide in general given the economic state of the world and the very little US support it has engendered. Not worth it.

But to say we should cut aid to Libya, a struggling new democracy, based on a criminal terrorist attack is just dumb-assery.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

My intial reaction is the same as others here..... however, it's becoming a little more clear that AQ or AQ influenced people carried out these things. Don't you think the Sept 11th anniversary happening is a little more then coincidental? Wouldn't AQ like nothing more that see the US and Libyan and Egyptian relations deteroiate? to

While I am not convinced that either the Egyptian or Libyan Governments are our allies, I don't think they are AQ either...yet. AQ would like nothing better than drive our relationships apart. There needs to be a measured response to both countries, that basically puts them on notice that they need to get our relationship on track or else the flow of money to them in US aid will cease. We assisted at some level, both of these governments to come into being, the current behavior of these countries is not going in the right direction to keep receiving aid from us. Even if these were AQ operatives doing this, there should have been enough Libyan and Egyptian security forces around to stop it in it's tracks. From the reports I've seen, they were there but didn't do anything to stop it. That is VERY troublesome to me and that needs to change IMMEDIATELY.

I don't think we cut off aid and relations immediately, but we let both countries know the ramifications of the path they appear to be on. This should serve as a wake up call to all parties involved.......... the status quo is not good enough.
edit on 12-9-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I don't see anything good coming from giving more money to Egypt or Libya.

Perhaps it's time we associate our foreign aid with appropriate behavior.

I agree, we shouldn't be giving aid to countries that work counter to our interests. There's a reason you give foreign aid out. I would add a couple more countries to that list if they continue to act in ways against our own U.S. interests. Don't work with us......don't get the $$$$.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hmmm.. Egypt current gets over a billion in aid from the US

US Economic and Military Aid

The vast majority of military aid, and its gotten that for years. Will be interesting to see what happens if that gets stripped.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Personally, I think we should top all foreign aid period!

How deep in debt do we have to become before the light bulb pops on and it clicks...

"we don't have the money for world welfare anymore"

and half of the foreign aid we give is in the form of selling military equipment...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
punish the people for this ?

why ?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
There are couple of things I'm grateful to this thread for. Because my mind is twisted, let me present one not mentioned yet. Doesn't this put an end to the idea that Republicans and Democrats are the same? It makes me believe that there is a difference between the parties, and that I should pick one for its merits.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

why ?

I know, right? It's sad that Americans are punished by seeing our tax dollars go to those who would dance on our graves. We can't even feed and house our own adequately. We don't have the money to send elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

why ?

You don't really think that "the people" of Libya or Egypt actually see even 1% of this aid, do you?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

why ?

#1 They hate us. They would cut your head off in a minute.

#2 "Buying" friends never works out well.

#3 The bulk of the money never reaches the public, it buys corrutpion and oppression.

#4 We are BROKE! We need to spend what little money we have on our own country to get back to where we were. We are cutting programs to American citizens and giving the money to other countries....it's OUR tax money, it should be spent here first...IF anything is left over, we can talk about "aid" to those that hate us.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I agree. we should stop aid to countries which are fast becoming enemies. It is just plain nuts to send money to people who attack our embassies. We should withhold money at least as a point of saying you hurt us we won't help you, but the O admin has gone out of it's way to aid and abet our enemies and has ruined relations with all of our allies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join